Posted: 9/13/2005 3:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 3:02:31 PM EDT by effinNewGuy]
from: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=20377 1911 Discussion

Ask a Navy SEAL
By Lt. Ryan Cusper
August 30, 2005

Dear Navy SEAL,
New Springfield is shooting low
I just got a Loaded Springfield to go with my Mil-Spec. I took it to the range today and it shot about 1 1/2 to 2 inches low. All the rounds were grouped tightly together (ragged holes). Is it the pistol or me? Do I need to break it in? Thanks.

-Skinny in Kentucky

Dear Skinny,

What in fucks name are you doing aiming low for? You aim low you shoot low for chrissakes! The .45 caliber Springfield Armory sidearm might not be an ideal long-distance weapon, and it's certainly no sniper's rifle, but it has the advantages of low weight and quicker target acquisition. You can reliably engage aggressors at ranges of 30 meters and more. Use a two-handed grip and brace the barrel against a tree, or use your dive tanks and rebreather as an improvised bench rest. Don't worry about "stopping power": One of those .45 slugs opens up to about 70 caliber when it hits, leaving an exit wound you could toss a cat through, and bringing so much energy to a target that a hit in the extremities is often enough to drop Mohammed in his tracks.

.......................................................................................................................................................

Lt. Ryan Cusper is a combat-decorated Navy SEAL and nationally syndicated advice columnist. His weekly column, Ask A Navy SEAL, appears in 250 newspapers nationwide.

- with apologies to the Onion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:37:06 PM EDT
ask an army guy:

if its shooting low, shoot heavier ammo
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:11:27 PM EDT
Jesus.

Two quick solutions, adjust the damn sites or try a different load(heavier/slower tends to shoot higher).

FFS
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT by motown_steve]

Originally Posted By effinNewGuy:
What in fuck's name are you doing aiming low for? If Yyou aim low, then you shoot low for chrissakes Christ's sake!

This is insufferable coming from a naval officer! He's an educated man!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:23:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

What in fuck's name are you doing aiming low for? If Yyou aim low, then you shoot low for chrissakes Christ's sake!

My edit in blue. Ended sentence in preposition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:25:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kindstranger:

What Why in fuck's name are you doing aiming low for? If Yyou aim low, then you shoot low for chrissakes Christ's sake!

There we go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 5:33:51 PM EDT by zer04evr]

queenofwands.net/comics/20031003.jpg
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 5:41:05 PM EDT by kindstranger]

Originally Posted By zer04evr:

forge.evula.net/forums/grammar_nazi.jpg

queenofwands.net/comics/20031003.jpg

So go play with your dangling participle why don't you...

Sieg hyphen!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:44:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Freakzilla:
ask an army guy:

Dont you mean lighter ammo? That'd be higher velocity, higher flight profile, etc?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:48:49 PM EDT
You ended a sentece with a preposition, and that is something up with which we will not put.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:00:33 PM EDT
The last time I ran into "ask a Navy SEAL" it was funny as hell, with maybe a dozen or so hilarious answers.

But this almost sounds serious -- WTF?

Hey, wait a minute. Now it's coming back:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/37418

You guys have been "had"........
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:33 PM EDT

- with apologies to the Onion.

I don't think people read that far down a post.
matthew
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:09:41 PM EDT
"use a two-handed grip and brace the barrel against a tree"?

So i should use an isosceles or weaver stance, but touch the side of my 1911 up against a tree? Someone want to edumacate me on this technique? The slide on my 1911 moves back and forth when fired, so I don't mean to rag on the Navy SEAL's expertise, but this seems like a great way to either:

1) Needlessly mar my finish
2) Jam my pistol
3) All of the above

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:49:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:
"use a two-handed grip and brace the barrel against a tree"?

So i should use an isosceles or weaver stance, but touch the side of my 1911 up against a tree? Someone want to edumacate me on this technique? The slide on my 1911 moves back and forth when fired, so I don't mean to rag on the Navy SEAL's expertise, but this seems like a great way to either:

1) Needlessly mar my finish
2) Jam my pistol
3) All of the above

Never heard of resting the slide against the tree, but I would definately rest the side of my hand on the tree to take the arch of motion out at that distance. As far as the stance, standing directly behind the tree with your strong foot parrarel to the side you are shooting from and swinging your hip out, weak side foot about 6 inches further back than strong side.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:50:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:

Originally Posted By Freakzilla:
ask an army guy:

Dont you mean lighter ammo? That'd be higher velocity, higher flight profile, etc?

Kharn

Think of the recoil of the handgun, if the gun starts to recoil before the bullet has exited the barrel or is further along in it's recoil before the bullet exits, it has a tendancy to kick that round upwards.

It was one of the first things I noticed when shooting my 38/44 Outdoorsman with regular 38Spl. 158grn SWC at around 850fps as opposed to my old world replica handloads that used 2400 pushing the same bullet to around 1200fps.

The faster ammo tends to shoot lower in my experience than slower bullets, not talking trajectory here(there certainly is a difference in trajectory with velocity changes) but simply relative point of impact as opposed to point of aim. At the relatively short ranges with a handgun, it can make a noticeable difference fiddling with the bullet weight and muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT by WildBoar]
I like the Ask the Hindenburg announcer guy the best from the ONion.

Ask That Hindenburg Announcer Guy

By By Eddie McCarthy
NBC Radio Reporter
September 18, 1996 | Issue 30•06
Radio Reporter
Dear Hindenburg Announcer Guy,

Our youngest just went off to college and "empty nest syndrome" has really set in. My wife and I thought this would be a good time for us to rediscover our freedom, but instead the joy has gone out of our home. Any tips on coping?

—Sad in Sarasota
Dear Sad,

Oh my God, it's burst into flames! Oh, the humanity! The burning airship is tumbling toward the crowd! The exploding hydrogen gas is engulfing the onlookers! The screams, oh Lord, the screams! Burning figures are falling from the twisted gondola! I can hear the shrieking of men trapped beneath the blazing metal! Please, sweet Christ, no!

I am a happily married man with a beautiful family and a secure job. But lately, I'm doubting pretty much everything. Do I really love my wife? Are my kids getting the upbringing they deserve? Did I sell my dreams short? How should I deal with these feelings?

—Stumped in St. Louis
Dear Stumped,

Flames a thousand feet high are engulfing men, women, children—oh, Lord, no! No! Not the children! The sizzling, oh God, the sizzling... Flames have seared the entire crowd! The smell of burned and melting flesh, God, God! An abomination of science gone awry has brought Hell to our fairgrounds!

I'm a divorced mother of three trying to get her life back together again after a messy breakup. My kids are still resentful, and I'm having a difficult time meeting people. Any suggestions?

—Heartache in Hanover Park
Dear Heartache,

The roar of flaming gas can't drown out the tortured cries of the roasted! The scarlet mist of scalded blood fills the air! I can't bear the sight of this seared and blasted fairground—everywhere I look is misery! A baby trapped by the airship's hull fries in its own juices! A roustabout's eyes boil, burst and run down his cheeks! Oh, the humanity! How can a just God allow such horror to be?

I am a college student in a gorgeous area of the Rockies. I love it here, but it's difficult to pay attention to my schoolwork! There's so much to do here, from hiking and biking to skiing, that my grades are slipping. How can I stay focused?

—Barely Bored in Boulder
Dear Barely,

Charred bodies are raining down from the heavens! The burnt corpses are strewn about the fields like cordwood! Hot ashes that were once our neighbors fall from the air like a grisly snow! I can feel my gorge rising for the hundredth time! The shattered hellscape before me is an affront to Heaven itself! Oh, God! Oh, the humanity!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 12:50:51 AM EDT by effinNewGuy]

Originally Posted By prk:
The last time I ran into "ask a Navy SEAL" it was funny as hell, with maybe a dozen or so hilarious answers.

But this almost sounds serious -- WTF?

Hey, wait a minute. Now it's coming back:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/37418

You guys have been "had"........

Well, one guy got it..

It's satire folks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:24:29 AM EDT
Geez, the part about using your dive tank as a bench rest didn't tip anyone off?

Funny stuff!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:30:25 AM EDT
Good grief, get a grip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:52:31 AM EDT
Yep, flashback to the ole' Onion.

Maybe some of you Onion folks will recognize my avatar then...

Damnit Ron, my car is broke again.
Top Top