Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
Asian powers oppose sanctions against Iran

BEIJING (Agencies) - China opposes sanctions against Iran because they "cannot fully solve the problems", a senior official said Tuesday when asked about Tehran's vow to press ahead with its nuclear work.

"The Chinese government's position on the Iranian nuclear issue is very clear," said Sun Bigan, China's special envoy to the Middle East.

"We have all along stood for a peaceful settlement of the issue through negotiations, rather than resorting to force or threatening sanctions.

"Resorting to force and sanctions cannot fully solve the problems," Sun told reporters at a briefing as quoted by AFP. He said sanctions could create tensions "detrimental not only to the region but also to ourselves."

Japan reluctant to add oil to Iran sanctions

Meanwhile, Japanese government sources said Tokyo will propose that the international community refrain from imposing a ban on Iranian oil exports in the first stage of any sanctions that might be imposed should Tehran not halt its uranium enrichment, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

The government will call on the international community to impose the sanctions in stages, and to lift the measures as soon as Iran suspends its uranium enrichment, the sources said Sunday.

Last month, the UN Security Council passed a resolution demanding Iran suspend enrichment by Aug. 31 or face possible sanctions.

The government hopes the international community will stand united in imposing possible sanctions against Iran, as the punitive measures will have more bark than bite if they are only enforced by some UN member countries, the sources said.

The government will explain the proposals when Senior Vice Foreign Minister Katsutoshi Kaneda meets with the International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Mohamed ElBaradei in Vienna on Aug. 29, the sources said.

The government hopes to avoid losing oil supplies from Iran, which account for about 14 percent of total oil imports, the sources said. The five permanent UN Security Council members--Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States--and Germany presented a package of proposals in June aimed at pressing Iran to halt its nuclear program, including uranium enrichment. Iran on Tuesday presented its response to the ambassadors of the mentioned countries. A Swiss diplomat in Tehran received the written response on behalf of the U.S.

Because a new resolution is needed to impose economic sanctions, the Security Council likely will set about discussing the matter, the sources said.

The government concluded that economic sanctions are inevitable as a means to apply international pressure on Iran. However, a ban on Iranian oil exports would deal a blow to the global and Iranian economies, so the government decided to propose that financial sanctions be imposed first and the oil embargo be shelved for the time being, they said.

In addition to the potential loss of imported oil, the government also is concerned about the adverse impact the sanctions might inflict on the concession rights of Japanese oil firm Inpex Corp. in the Azadegan oil field in southwest Iran.

The inclusion of a provision stipulating the removal of the sanctions if Iran halts uranium enrichment in a new resolution is designed to keep a lid on the sanctions so the government can maintain good relations with Iran, the sources said.

However, some U.S. government officials and lawmakers have called for development of the Azadegan oil field to be frozen because Japan has been more lenient with Iran for the sake of the nation's economic interests.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=8/23/2006&Cat=2&Num=014
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all about the oil. China needs the oil and Iran has it. China will turn a blind eye to
anything if they think it will cement their future supply of oil. They are buddying up to
Venezuela, Angola, and Nigeria big time.
I know. I work in the oil business.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm shocked
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Extorted at the end of an "oil" barrel.

I think the nations that oppose sactions solely for the benefit of oil will greatly rue  their stance in future times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this said "Austin Powers Opppose Sanctions Against Iran"

would of been funnier, and a hell of a lot less predictable
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought this said "Austin Powers Opppose Sanctions Against Iran"

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think the nations that oppose sactions solely for the benefit of oil will greatly rue  their stance in future times.

they act in their own self interest just like we do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what he said.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's about energy and self interest, but it's also about defeating the USA without ever stepping onto a battlefield.  China and Russia are using Iran as a tool, much as Iran uses Hezbollah as a tool.  Their plan is similar to the old Star Wars plan against Russia.  They'll use Iran to bleed us dry, keep us off balance and our attention elsewhere and off their own plans and schemes.  If push really came to shove they'd abandon Iran so fast it would make the Ayatohlla's head spin.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
It's all about the oil. China needs the oil and Iran has it. China will turn a blind eye to
anything if they think it will cement their future supply of oil. They are buddying up to
Venezuela, Angola, and Nigeria big time.
I know. I work in the oil business.

Your right about that.  I work in energy services, and I can tell you that they are not only trying to buy up all the oil, but the compounds that make cement  as well.  I came up in the business cementing the casing installed in the wells.  China's demand for cement, and cement additives is off the charts.

Their demand and need for oil is only going to grow, as they need a massive source of energy to support and run their rapidly expanding military.  And we are the primary financers for their military, and the oil they buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top