Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 10:31:39 AM EDT
The US has lost 68 69 in Iraq this month, the Brits 10 -- which is an average of 4.11 per day.  To date, the US has lost 3,315 3,316 in Iraq.

Don't forget about THOSE lives lost, THOSE women/men who are now widows/widowers, and THOSE children who are now without a parent.

I'm not meaning in any way to minimize the worst school shooting in US history.  This is just a reminder that there are other significant events involving our citizens in the world which are no less important, and which profoundly affect those involved . . . . .

[Look here if you don't believe my numbers.]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I was kinda wondering myself, how many service members have to die in order to get the flag flown at half mast?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree. I tell everybody when they talk about the Iraq war that we are losing soldiers everyday and we cant forget that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
They and the dangers they face are always on my mind.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
They finally stopped bringing them home in cargo planes
and unloading them with fork lifts into a warehouse.

Now at least they get a proper return.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was kinda wondering myself, how many service members have to die in order to get the flag flown at half mast?

Ft Lewis seems to do it for each one...

Nationwide? That's why we celebrate Veteran's & Memorial Days (after all, this nation has lost so many through our history, we'd have the flag at half mast for a LONG time if we did it nationwide)....

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
While your at it, remember today is April 19th.  Lets not forget that the Revolutionary War's beginning, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising's beginning, the Waco siege's end, and the Oklahoma City Bombing all fall on this date.  It is a heavy day indeed.

-Ben

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Updated numbers . . . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They and the dangers they face are always on my mind.

They are always in my thought and prayers.

+1 million
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been thinking a lot about that myself this week considering the way the country has reacted about the vt shooting, I'm all for the grieving, but it seems people have been bored with grieving for the men and women who sacrifice their lives for this country in the wars for some years.

This site shows those who are kia's photos, archived by months. It's very moving.

www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's ALSO not forget that 2,500 allied troops died on the beaches of Normandy, the first day of Operation Overlord!

Considering how long we've been there and the amazingly low death toll, how does this even qualify as a "war?"

"Police Action" didn't fit the situation in Vietnam. But, it sure comes as close as anything to describing the situation in Iraq.

Don't get me wrong. I love and support our troops - and I'm NOT trying to diminish what they do/are doing. (Hell! It could just as easily have been ME, over there, years ago!) And, living on edge, daily, like they do . . . never knowing when "it's" going to come . . ! God! It must be awful!

However, the way things have progressed and the nature of the fighting, leaves no doubt in my mind as to what this conflict should be called. And all the cry baby Libs should be damn glad it HASN'T been a "real" war! That said, I think we ought to take the freakin' gloves off (rather than pussy-footing around, like we've been doing!)! IMHO

Political Correctness has NO PLACE in war. This "Nation Building" is bullshit. We should level the fuckin' place and get out - leaving them (and the rest of the Muslim World), wondering WTF hit 'em - and concluding it's probably not in their best interests to fuck with the United States!

That's MY $.02.

And, FWIW, I agree with the OP, entirely. Let's keep our eyes on the ball, people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#12]
How many Americans were lost to illegal aliens during that time?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
3,500 american children were killed in abortion on April 16th, and another 3500 will die today. We'll never know how many of their mothers die from "legal" abortion because the clinics aren't duty bound to report "complications" and the medical industry routinely lists 'cause of death' to be something other than botched abortions.

Oh and of course, more than 4.11 Americans are killed per day by gang-bangers, by swimming pools, by falls off ladders, heavy industrial machinery, and hitting deer on the highways.

It doesn't make it any easier to deal with the loss of a daughter or son to a swimming pool accident, a car crash, some thugs' stray bullet, a botched abortion when you didn't even know she was pregnant or to some yahoo's IED.

The only difference is, if your daughter died because of a bleeding uterus from a botched abortion or dies from an IED in Iraq, the MSM will be equally mute, blind, and dumb about her fate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking the same thing when I saw pelosi hold a moment of silence for the victims at VT. I wondered how many times she's held a moment of silence for the troops and it pissed me off.

Not that the victims at VT did not deserve the moment of silence, they did, but that douchebag has probably never held a moment of silence for our troops. And they deserve it more than anyone. But I'm sure she relishes the deaths of our soldiers.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#15]
As another matter of perspective for deaths, we lost just under 17,000 Americans to alcohol related driving accidents in 2005 alone (NHTSA's number). That's one person dying every 31 minutes,dwarfing deaths in Iraq.
While the deaths of our soldiers in Iraq sadden us,they have to be weighed against the gain of what they are doing. Unlike the drunk driving statistics (or the Tech students), our GIs,marines,sailors and airmen died with a purpose- for a greater cause that some of us still believe in.
BTW,interesting link left cold: http://www.anesi.com/accdeath.htm

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was wondering why the flag at 4ID HQ was half staff..... that VA thing doesnt really strike me as a flag-lowering event for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As another matter of perspective for deaths, we lost just under 17,000 Americans to alcohol related driving accidents in 2005 alone (NHTSA's number).

What does alcohol related mean? It means someone involved in the accident had a measurable (not necessarily illegal) amount of alcohol in their system, or there was evidence of alcohol near the scene (an old beer can under the seat will do). They are not saying the someone with alcohol in their system caused the accident or was even driving or even inside a motor vehicle. But somehow it is always the drinker’s fault. Sober drivers never get into accidents, so it’s gotta be the drinker’s fault, right? Here’s some of the methods they use to arrive at and further inflate the number:

1.) A measurable amount of alcohol means anything above .00 percent, up to and including a sip of beer or cough medicine.

2.) Drivers impaired by drugs, be it aspirin, cough syrup, crack or heroin, are often counted as drunk drivers.

3.) If a pedestrian is involved and has a measurable amount of alcohol it is considered alcohol-related.

4.) If a passenger has alcohol in his system, it is considered alcohol related.

5.) If the accident is a sober driver’s fault (i.e. a sober driver runs a red light and crashes into a driver who had a beer after work) it is alcohol-related.

6.) If the residual presence of alcohol is found (an empty beer can) it is considered alcohol related, even if tests prove no one has any alcohol in their systems.

7.) The NHTSA arbitrarily adds 9% to all the alcohol-related statistics it receives from the states. Why? Because they feel like it.

8.) To further inflate the numbers, The NHTSA just started using what they call the Multiple Imputation Method to inflate alcohol-related statistics even more. The method automatically assumes that anyone involved in an accident who was not tested for BAC (probably because they were obviously sober) could actually have been drunk, and the numbers are jacked up by a set percentage.

www.drunkard.com/issues/08_02/08_02_fighting_madd.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw pelosi hold a moment of silence for the victims at VT. I wondered how many times she's held a moment of silence for the troops and it pissed me off.

This is an excellent point!  You should e-mail or call her office and ask that very question.   I'd love to hear the answer they give you . . . .  If she's so hopped up about ending the war, then how about bringing some attention to those lost--it may actually help her cause . . . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
And add the 116 we kill on the roads each and every day here in America.

4000 DUI deaths in CA 05'
Latest estimate is every 15 minutes (Nationally) someone dies from a drunk driver.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Let's ALSO not forget that 2,500 allied troops died on the beaches of Normandy, the first day of Operation Overlord!

Considering how long we've been there and the amazingly low death toll, how does this even qualify as a "war?"

"Police Action" didn't fit the situation in Vietnam. But, it sure comes as close as anything to describing the situation in Iraq.

Don't get me wrong. I love and support our troops - and I'm NOT trying to diminish what they do/are doing. (Hell! It could just as easily have been ME, over there, years ago!) And, living on edge, daily, like they do . . . never knowing when "it's" going to come . . ! God! It must be awful!

However, the way things have progressed and the nature of the fighting, leaves no doubt in my mind as to what this conflict should be called. And all the cry baby Libs should be damn glad it HASN'T been a "real" war! That said, I think we ought to take the freakin' gloves off (rather than pussy-footing around, like we've been doing!)! IMHO

Political Correctness has NO PLACE in war. This "Nation Building" is bullshit. We should level the fuckin' place and get out - leaving them (and the rest of the Muslim World), wondering WTF hit 'em - and concluding it's probably not in their best interests to fuck with the United States!

That's MY $.02.

And, FWIW, I agree with the OP, entirely. Let's keep our eyes on the ball, people.

Well said!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top