Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2007 10:12:18 AM EDT
I think a lot of gun owners sat out the '92 election due to the GHWB administration's anti-gun actions (as well as his other deviations from conservative principles).  This probably contributed to the election of Bill Clinton.  I think this had two consequences.  First, and this is the most arguable point, it maybe disciplined the Republicans a bit more and led them to be more uniformly pro-gun (and conservative in general).  The liberal wing of the Republican party is now pretty much extinct.  The Republican leadership in Congress has been pretty solid since then, and the next Republican president has done some good things for the RKBA (especially by appointing John Ashcroft).  

Second, and I think this point is more supported by the evidence, after their victory the democrats overreached and consequently lost big in '94.  Since then, no major gun control legislation has passed Congress, the AWB died and the protection for lawful firearms in commerce law passed.

The Republican Congress and the second Bush administration have pretty much erased everything Clinton and the Democratic Congress did as far as gun rights (unfortunately, they have not undone the damage the first Bush did).  So electing Clinton did little long-term damage to the RKBA.

So was disciplining the Republicans, and letting Bill Clinton get elected, worth it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Ross Perot was a big factor as well.  We are shaping up for a Dem President; no consensus Republican candidate.  A good strong 3d party candidate should sink whatever hope there is of a Republican win for the President.  The Dems aren't a sure win by any stretch and I believe Republicans will have a better chance if Hillary Clinton gets the nomination.  National security issues will move to the forefront in the General Election for sure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a kid at the time.  I wish GHWB would've won instead of WJC.  Hell, I was rooting for GHWB back then, though I couldn't vote.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Although things have gotten better in some ways since then, we're still stuck with the Lautenberg law and the Brady Bill.

G. H. W. Bush wasn't our friend, but he wasn't our enemy, either.  Ditto for W.

I guess we need four years of Hillary to make some people here realize that.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top