Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 12:05:17 AM EDT
On Fox now.....

ETA
Pope John Paul II's body exhumed ahead of beatification

VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II's coffin was exhumed on Friday ahead of his beatification as tens of thousands of people began arriving in Rome for one of the biggest events since his funeral in 2005.

The Vatican said the coffin was removed from the crypts below St. Peter's Basilica while top Vatican officials and some of the late pope's closest aides looked on and prayed.

Those present at the ceremony included Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, his personal secretary and right-hand man for decades, and the Polish nuns who ran the papal household for 27 years.

The wooden coffin will be placed in front of the main altar of St. Peter's Basilica. After Sunday's beatification mass, it will remain in that spot and the basilica will remain open until all visitors who want to view it have done so.

It will then be moved to a new crypt under an altar in a side chapel near Michelangelo's statue of the Pieta. The marble slab that covered his first burial place will be sent to Poland.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Does being "beatified" involve a baseball bat or primitive club of some sort?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's the second to last step of becoming a Catholic Saint
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't one have to have performed a miracle to be sanctified?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't one have to have performed a miracle to be sanctified?

There are two instances that are known of

From wiki
In early 2006, it was reported that the Vatican was investigating a possible miracle associated with John Paul II. A French nun, confined to her bed by Parkinson's Disease, is reported to have experienced a "complete and lasting cure after members of her community prayed for the intercession of Pope John Paul II".[26][27] The nun was later identified as Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre, a member of the Congregation of Little Sisters of Catholic Maternity Wards from Puyricard, near Aix-en-Provence.[28] Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre, 46, is working again, now in Paris at a maternity hospital run by her order.[29] She met reporters 30 March 2006 in Aix-en-Provence, during a press conference with Archbishop of Aix Claude Feidt.

“I was sick and now I am cured,” she told reporters. “I am cured, but it is up to the church to say whether it was a miracle or not.”

On the fourth anniversary of Pope John Paul's death, 2 April 2009, Cardinal Dziwisz, told reporters of a presumed miracle that had recently occurred at the former pope's tomb in St. Peter's Basilica. A nine year-old Polish boy from Gdańsk, who was suffering from kidney cancer and was completely unable to walk, had been visiting the tomb with his parents. On leaving St. Peter's basilica, the boy told them, "I want to walk," and began walking normally.

I also just read that there was also an AL Qaeda plot to kill him in 95 Bojinka plot
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Stop molesting boys and stop protecting the molesters and I will care about the Catholic Church
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: Stop molesting boys and stop protecting the molesters and I will care about the Catholic Church
Not trying to justify anything, but many people fail to realize that that sort of behaviour goes on just as frequently in the Reformation churches but Catholics get all of the publicity (which in this country at least isn't surprising).
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted: Stop molesting boys and stop protecting the molesters and I will care about the Catholic Church
Not trying to justify anything, but many people fail to realize that that sort of behaviour goes on just as frequently in the Reformation churches but Catholics get all of the publicity (which in this country at least isn't surprising).

It happens with protestant churches just as much, but never gets press exposure?  You just can't, like, prove it with examples? Really?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Stop molesting boys and stop protecting the molesters and I will care about the Catholic Church

Get out of the thread if you're just here to shit on things.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get out of the thread if you're just here to shit on things.  

Especially since its about a man, not only distinguished in his faith, but also arguably a man who had a large part of taking down communism in Eastern Europe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ignorant biased assumption. The church is formed of people, and not all people are perfect. I can switch catholic church with anything.

"stop molesting boys and stop protecting molesters and I will care about the entire american society"
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
On topic, it seems a little soon. But I know very little about the process.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On topic, it seems a little soon. But I know very little about the process.

Well ,the fastest Saint to ever be canonized was St. Anthony of Padua and that was 352 days
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stop protecting murderers and kill teams and I'll care about the American Armed Forces.

Every organization has shitheads.  If you're gonna judge one by it's lowest specimens, judge them all the same way.  Or just tell us why you really hate the Church.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not a Catholic but I really liked Pope John Paul II.

In the words of my wife, who is a Catholic, he was a very much loved and kind man....... she says the new one is wierd and has Crazy Eyes and looks a bit like the Emporer from Star Wars.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In the words of my wife, who is a Catholic, he was a very much loved and kind man....... she says the new one is wierd and has Crazy Eyes and looks a bit like the Emporer from Star Wars.

He DOES look like Palpatine, but John Paul did refer to the Church of England as "our beloved sister church"
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm not Catholic either but I do like Benedict XVI. The man stands up for what the Church believes and doesn't apologize for it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow! I was listening to Catholic radio on Friday, I knew they were moving his body but I didn't think they had officially started the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top