Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 3:30:33 PM EDT

This article is the second in a six-part series about the drug war and police reform. Read Part 1 here.

OGDEN, Utah -- Former Sheriff William "Dub" Lawrence has watched with
dismay as America's war on drugs has escalated, and SWAT teams have
become more aggressive, more militarized, and less focused on resolving
disputes peacefully.

In 1975, Lawrence started what would become the Davis County, Utah, SWAT
team. The elite tactical units were coming into vogue across the
country at the time, after they were introduced in Los Angeles in the
1960s, following the Watts riots and a number of mass shooting
incidents.

Lawrence was choosy about who he put on the SWAT team. "You have to pick
guys who have the right mentality, the right temperament, and who show
good judgment," he says. "I finally found four guys I could trust, and
we went about training them."

In September 2008, however, he watched helplessly as the same SWAT team he helped create over 30 years earlier shot and killed Brian Wood, his 36-year-old son-in-law.

Wood had a history of psychological problems, and he had barricaded himself in his truck with a gun following a domestic dispute. After a 12-hour standoff with police, the SWAT team moved in and shot Wood eight times with a stun gun before finally shooting him as he lay on the ground, an outcome Lawrence criticizes as an overreaction.

"I told my family, I said, 'These guys are well-trained. You can trust them to talk him down,'" Lawrence recalls. "I then had to explain to my daughter why this team I helped create -- had just told her to trust -- had just killed her husband."

Lawrence got his start in policing in 1971. He'd just served two years
in the Marines, had recently married, and was attending Brigham Young
University, when a neighbor -- who also happened to be the police chief
in the town of Bountiful -- told him about an opening in his department
and encouraged him to apply. Lawrence did, got the job, and switched his
focus from business classes to justice administration.

Lawrence says his tenure as sheriff didn't win him many friends. In
addition to the SWAT team, he established a paramedic unit within the
police department, which didn't sit well with the fire department.
Lawrence also disbanded the police department's anti-narcotics unit,
which he says took up too many resources and placed too high a priority
on drug enforcement.

He also made a number of high-profile arrests of public officials (including the superintendent of the highway patrol at the time, who was arrested on a DWI charge) and refused to let them off.

Lawrence says that his philosophy -- that the law applies equally to everyone -- is the reason he only served for one term. Ultimately, he says, he had made too many enemies, and he lost his bid for reelection in 1978.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/utah-police-reform_n_4150625.html?1382700580

View Quote

How would you like to be the guy who started the SWAT team that years later kills your son-in-law? - TS

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the use of force reasonable?

What does the drug war have to do with an armed psychotic suspect?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like he pissed off enough people that perhaps there was something behind killing his son in law besides going home safe. Not necessarily murder, but perhaps a lack of normal care.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Pissed off his crazy son in law (who dinnet do nuffin) was shot by swat so now they are bad guys.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really drug related, but this one was.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]

What does this have to do with you fascination with the "War on Drugs"???

The dude was a loon and got shot by police.

Are you sure this article fits your agenda?

John
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Indescriminate hut huts running amok

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This article is the second in a six-part series about the drug war and police reform. Read Part 1 here.

OGDEN, Utah -- Former Sheriff William "Dub" Lawrence has watched with dismay as America's war on drugs has escalated, and SWAT teams have become more aggressive, more militarized, and less focused on resolving disputes peacefully.

In 1975, Lawrence started what would become the Davis County, Utah, SWAT team. The elite tactical units were coming into vogue across the country at the time, after they were introduced in Los Angeles in the 1960s, following the Watts riots and a number of mass shooting incidents.

Lawrence was choosy about who he put on the SWAT team. "You have to pick guys who have the right mentality, the right temperament, and who show good judgment," he says. "I finally found four guys I could trust, and we went about training them."

In September 2008, however, he watched helplessly as the same SWAT team he helped create over 30 years earlier shot and killed Brian Wood, his 36-year-old son-in-law.

Wood had a history of psychological problems, and he had barricaded himself in his truck with a gun following a domestic dispute. After a 12-hour standoff with police, the SWAT team moved in and shot Wood eight times with a stun gun before finally shooting him as he lay on the ground, an outcome Lawrence criticizes as an overreaction.

"I told my family, I said, 'These guys are well-trained. You can trust them to talk him down,'" Lawrence recalls. "I then had to explain to my daughter why this team I helped create -- had just told her to trust -- had just killed her husband."

Lawrence got his start in policing in 1971. He'd just served two years in the Marines, had recently married, and was attending Brigham Young University, when a neighbor -- who also happened to be the police chief in the town of Bountiful -- told him about an opening in his department and encouraged him to apply. Lawrence did, got the job, and switched his focus from business classes to justice administration.

Lawrence says his tenure as sheriff didn't win him many friends. In addition to the SWAT team, he established a paramedic unit within the police department, which didn't sit well with the fire department. Lawrence also disbanded the police department's anti-narcotics unit, which he says took up too many resources and placed too high a priority on drug enforcement.

He also made a number of high-profile arrests of public officials (including the superintendent of the highway patrol at the time, who was arrested on a DWI charge) and refused to let them off.

Lawrence says that his philosophy -- that the law applies equally to everyone -- is the reason he only served for one term. Ultimately, he says, he had made too many enemies, and he lost his bid for reelection in 1978.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/utah-police-reform_n_4150625.html?1382700580
View Quote

How would you like to be the guy who started the SWAT team that years later kills your son-in-law? - TS  
View Quote

Eventually they'll all start feeling it when another couple of generations of powered up JBTs have gone by and they stop caring about who's a "retired cop".
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What does this have to do with you fascination with the "War on Drugs"???

The dude was a loon and got shot by police.

Are you sure this article fits your agenda?

John
View Quote

The war on drugs and gun free zones are the main justifications for their continued existence and proliferation. Perhaps he does not like the drug war because of its collateral damage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]

I'd been wondering if you'd forgotten your job in these threads.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
This kinda shit is wholly unnecessary.

So, let's see . . . we could use normal procedure and MAYBE a suspect or two would have time to flush their dope - or, whatever.

Or, we could just smash our way in and shoot anybody we see!

Hey! I like number 2! We get to have lots'a fun and do some blastin' too! Fuckin' A right! Let's go!

Fuckin' A sickening is what it is.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you seriously need someone to draw the connection between where SWAT programs have gone in the last 30 years thanks to the war on drugs?

I mean, it isn't that difficult to connect the dots.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice try.  The quota for anti-cop troll threads has been met for the day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, sure, if by "the day" you mean four days ago.

Detective, right?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
As police fired tear gas and set off flash grenades, Woods fired a shot and an officer returned fire, killing him, Hansen said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Balko-like typing detected.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Detective, right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Detective, right?

Super assistant Captain Chief Admiral
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Balko-like typing detected.

View Quote

That's two.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, sounds like the swat team did him and society a favor by taking out his psycho wife beating son in law
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
article needs to use the term "armed agents" more often, it's a crowd favorite, gets 'em riled up
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sounds like he pissed off enough people that perhaps there was something behind killing his son in law besides going home safe. Not necessarily murder, but perhaps a lack of normal care.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yes, i am sure that the disbanding of the narcotics unit by a one term Sheriff who lost his job in 1978 caused a hit to be placed on his mentally deranged son in law 30 years later. Thats it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pissed off his crazy son in law (who dinnet do nuffin) was shot by swat so now they are bad guys.  
View Quote
Yep, took them killing a family member for him to realize the problem. He wouldn't be saying shit if it was anyone else and would still support the team. I just looked in my box of fucks to give, must have run out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

A "history of psychological problems" can mean anything from mild depression and anxiety to involuntary inpatient admission. We should also bear in mind the mentality of so many LE agencies: that the agency's authoritah allows them to cross the line, especially if they can assign blame to a medical issue.

I would be surprised if the victim had any real psychotic issues. More likely, the gross overuse of force will be excused (by SWAT) as simply necessary given the deranged nature of the mad beast they faced down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top