Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 8:48:18 PM EST
Because what could be wrong with that, right? Just like hydrogenated cottonseed oil instead of lard, or Olestra, or...

A radical ‘artificial egg’ backed by Paypal billionaire Peter Thiel and Bill Gates goes on sale in US supermarkets for the first time today.

Made from plants, it can replace eggs in everything from cakes to mayonnaise - without a chicken ever coming close to the production process.

The team today started selling their ‘plant egg’, called Beyond Eggs, in Whole Foods in California - and say it could soon be available in supermarkets worldwide.
‘We want to take animals out of the equation,’ said Josh Tetrick, the firm’s founder. ‘The food industry is begging for innovation, especially where animals are involved - it is a broken industry.’
'Even better than the real thing':

Tetrick’s idea was to find a mix of easy-to-grow plants that, when mixed together in the right way, replicate the taste, nutritional values and cooking properties of an egg.

This, he believes will allow the firm to produce its substitute for mass market foods - and to allow developing worlds to grow their own versions with added nutrients.

‘Eggs are functionally incredible, they do everything from hold oil and water in mayo to making the muffin rise and holding scrambled eggs together,’ he said ‘I started to think what if we can find plants that can do this. We have about 12 plants pre-selected, including a pea already widely grown in Canada. There’s also a bean in South Asia that is incredible in scrambled eggs.’

The firm is already in talks with major food manufacturers around the world - including several in the UK, to replace eggs in supermarket products with their alternative.

So far, he says the team has perfected an egg substitute for mayonnaise, and one for cakes.

'We can make really good mayonnaise, we’ve done taste tests against market leaders, and beaten them consistently. In the world of cookies, we’ve trialled our products with everyone from Bill Gates to Tony Blair, both of whom couldn’t taste the difference.

'Bill Gates became an advisor to the company, and has been one of its most vocal supporters in the Silicon Valley world where Hampton Creek is based.

'Companies like Hampton Creek Foods are experimenting with new ways to use heat and pressure to turn plants into foods that look and taste just like meat and eggs,' he recently wrote of the firm.

The team initially struggled.

'Our first attempts weren’t great, we tried to make a muffin using a mix of plants,' said Tetrick.

'Ours tasted really gummy, and didn’t have the ‘bounce’ we wanted. Our mayonnaise would not hold the oil and egg together, so had what looked like liquid syrup. Scrambled eggs were even worse - they just wouldn’t congeal at all, and had a really bad aftertaste.

Tetrick admits the firm is struggling with artificial scrambled egg. He says there is a ‘pretty good’ recipe, but admits more work is needed.

'Eventually we’ll get to one thing that will replace everything,' he said.

The firm hopes to allow developing countries to grow and produce their own ‘plant eggs’.

'In developing countries, we can also add in things missing from the local diet, helping nutrient deficiencies, and we have had initial discussion with the world food programme about this.

'What we want to do eventually is find a way to work with farmers in the developing world to enable them to have new cash crops that can be used. Then we become the kind of company to be feared by the bad guys in the industry.'
View Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416808/Artificial-egg-PLANTS-backed-Bill-Gates-set-revolutionize-cooking-goes-sale-Whole-Foods.html

I swear, I am going to be reduced to buying eggs from the farm down the street, local milk, and cooking EVERYTHING at home if I don't want GMO-and-DuPont food with unknown long term effects.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:49:54 PM EST

But how do you feel about raw milk?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:51:12 PM EST
I'll try it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:51:55 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
View Quote

If people want it, they can have it. Heating to kill pathogens is a far cry from chemistry to turn bits of plant matter around this way and that to make a cheaper substitute for something that often shows harmful effects later. See also: High fructose corn syrup. It's cheaper than sugar! And...it destroys your body's ability to process sugar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:19 PM EST
Fuck it I'm gonna buy a chicken and name her Shirley.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:54:01 PM EST
Will this effect my egg McMuffins?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:54:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By TitusAndronicus:
I'll try it.
View Quote

But why? What's wrong with the ones chickens make?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:54:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mackinaw:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mackinaw:
Originally Posted By TitusAndronicus:
I'll try it.

They're not chickeny enough, science can do better!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:55:13 PM EST
Why am I not surprised that Whole Foods is promoting this shit?

How about a healthy substitute for crack or meth? That would actually be beneficial.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:58:39 PM EST

Great!!

This is all we need.

Unemployed Chickens. Strutting around depressed and looking for handouts, shitting in the streets.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:58:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By ContrarianIndicator:
View Quote

No, it will not bring Egg McMuffins into existence...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:59:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:

Excellent!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:02:36 PM EST
View Quote

Probably within a week of FDA approval. The "eggs" for those already come in processed bags of "Egg, Liquid" that's a sort of pale yellow congealment of processed eggs and stabilizers, so it wouldn't take much for them to simply switch to the cheaper fake eggs.

The only way to avoid the liquid egg in even in restaurants is to order your eggs fried, not scrambled. They have to use shell eggs for that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:03:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:08:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2013 9:09:31 PM EST by Lomshek]

'What we want to do eventually is find a way to work with farmers in the developing world to enable them to have new cash crops that can be used. Then we become the kind of company to be feared by the bad guys in the industry.'
View Quote

Hey dumbass! There's this renewable resource that does everything you're trying to achieve and it's cheap.

It's called the chicken.

Some dipshit vegan came up with this idea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:13:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View Quote

My favorite dairy products are made from raw milk. Kohupiim-especially in the form of kohukesed - and raw milk cheeses are fabulous...and I ain't dead yet.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:13:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

Hey dumbass! There's this renewable resource that does everything you're trying to achieve and it's cheap.

It's called the chicken.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

It's called the chicken.

You can't license a chicken. That's what it comes down to. There is no charity involved here.

So I guess independent chicken farmers are the bad guys. They aren't FakeEgg (TM) (R) CUSTOMERS!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:16:30 PM EST
Fundamentally, their new product must either be better than real eggs, or cheaper than real eggs, or they must target a niche market such as vegans, or their product will be an expensive failure.

How much does one "egg equivalent" cost?
What exactly is in one "egg equivalent"? How much cholesterol? Anything someone might be allergic to?
How much food technology does it take to make their product? How much energy?

This might work in the developed world, in Third World countries not so much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:25:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2013 10:11:08 PM EST by SIRIUS1]
Real eggs are perfect, this is about controlling more of the world for these people.

They want to control the spice, as it were.

ETA:: Added to already unnecessarily soy laden foods this will result in foods with an even greater phytoestrogenic effect. I am sure they factor this in as positive effect.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:29:47 PM EST
I guess in this case, we can positively say the plant came first between the plant and the egg.

I'm sure they'll add "nutrients" eventually that will turn us all into zombies which will cause the end of the world.

All because we couldn't decide if the chicken or the egg came first.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:37:01 PM EST
I swear that the reason there are so many allergies cropping up now is because of all this GMO science laden food

I used to laugh about the "hippies" and their natural food, now I just laugh at the hippies and eat natural food
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:39:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By SIRIUS1:

Real eggs are perfect, this is about controlling more of the world for these people.

They want to control the spice, as it were.

View Quote

Excellent point.

Monsanto, DuPont, et al actively seek to own and control all agriculture via patents and lawsuits. I can see this little effort going the same way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:39:42 PM EST
Just ask whoever does your dreads where to get the best freerangeorganicglutenfreefairtradenongmoalln­aturalpesticidefreesustainaiblyproduced eggs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:43:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
I swear that the reason there are so many allergies cropping up now is because of all this GMO science laden food

I used to laugh about the "hippies" and their natural food, now I just laugh at the hippies and eat natural food
View Quote

I ignore hippies, period. I see "natural" food as simply what hardworking ancestors ate before doing a good day's work. Real milk, real eggs, real veggies, real grain, real meat.

The current state of many Americans' bodies would seem to suggest that heavily processed foods are NOT good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:57:02 PM EST
Let me see them develop an artificial egg that I can use to to make a meringue, a souffle, or a hollandaise or bearnaise.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:01:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By edb66:
Let me see them develop an artificial egg that I can use to to make a meringue, a souffle, or a hollandaise or bearnaise.
View Quote

Enjoy! (I find this horrifying.)

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/info/methocel-f50

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:05:18 PM EST
I'm real skeptical too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:08:19 PM EST
In before the chickens in my backyard are made illegal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:20:11 PM EST
Just go to the grocery and give them all a squeeze.

That's how you tell the freshest artificial eggs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:21:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By CaverX:
Just go to the grocery and give them all a squeeze.

That's how you tell the freshest artificial eggs.
View Quote

Huh... I thought ya had give 'em a good thump to tell the good eggs?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:23:02 PM EST
I sent this article to my friend who is allergic to all poultry products. This development should help her immensely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:56:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Luchs:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By edb66:

yummm...

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:05:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2013 11:07:39 PM EST by CrazyWhiteGuy]
Because what could be wrong with that, right? Just like hydrogenated cottonseed oil instead of lard, or Olestra, or...

A radical ‘artificial egg’ backed by Paypal billionaire Peter Thiel and Bill Gates goes on sale in US supermarkets for the first time
.'
View Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416808/Artificial-egg-PLANTS-backed-Bill-Gates-set-revolutionize-cooking-goes-sale-Whole-Foods.html

I swear, I am going to be reduced to buying eggs from the farm down the street, local milk, and cooking EVERYTHING at home if I don't want GMO-and-DuPont food with unknown long term effects.

View Quote

Sorry, your refusal to buy from grocery stores is adversely effecting interstate commerce. Well be taking your house to compensate for damages, section 8 needs it more than you anyways. You're luckily getting off light, you could go to jail.
Top Top