BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2009 8:48:52 AM EDT
Here's an article by Jim Tarr on SIG's new P238 .380 auto

New SIG P238 .380

basically looks like a Colt Mustang knock-off.....

What do you think, would you carry a pocket single-action cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
In fact, it's so compact that it's not legal in California or Massachusetts. That alone should make you want to buy one, or at least send SIG a thank-you card.

Um, what?  CA and MA have size restrictions on guns?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been a fanboy of SigArms for years, but they are dead to me now.  

I got to play with one of those at the Shot show, and hated the metal grips.  

The concept notwithstanding, Sig can blow me, and I won't own any more of their product.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
whats it with europeans and their facination with anemic mouse pistols...

IMHO anything under 9mm is worthless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The concept notwithstanding, Sig can blow me, and I won't own any more of their product.  

I have never been a fan of anything SIG makes, but why your change in attitude?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its a copy of a US pistol.......
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
SIG has a recall on them because of an issue with the safety.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

must have taken that page out of Ruger's book.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In fact, it's so compact that it's not legal in California or Massachusetts. That alone should make you want to buy one, or at least send SIG a thank-you card.

It won't pass Failifornia's "safe handgun" tests.

No loaded chamber indicator
Probably no magazine disconnect

I do think Ca has something about barrel length too, probably buried in the "saturday night special" regulations.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

must have taken that page out of Ruger's book.....

looks a bit chunky for its intended purpose

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Does anyone on arfcom like ANY gun?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your opinion doesn't seem very educated
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw one this weekend.  Not my cup of tea but it did liik a lot better than most Sigs look to me.  I have never really cared for Sig's styling, didnt like the decockers the most.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a copy of a US pistol.......

And it was a lousy idea when it was the Mustang.

If I'm going to carry something that big and heavy, I'll get a PPS or J-frame.

I think .380s work best when they are P3AT- and LCP-sized.

Maybe if the 238/Mustang was 9mm, you'd have my attention.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope they bring out a Govt 380 version with the longer (i.e. actually grippable) grip and slightly longer barrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've never heard of that...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool, but loses badly when compared to the Kahr PM9,

/thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll stick with my P232.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]
there's ugly, and then there's SIG's new .380
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Dave, I and my wife have LCP's.  I can't see that outselling their 232's.  I would never buy one.

HH
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#20]
too fugly, the grips have those deep grooves in it, the slide is all boxy like.  I like the design my Sig 230
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dave, I and my wife have LCP's.  I can't see that outselling their 232's.  I would never buy one.

HH

I agree
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]
"The weight is just over 15 ounces, so while it's not a featherweight, you can actually shoot it without worrying it will fly out of your hand. "

For 15 ounces I can carry a 9MM. And my 11 ounce, loaded, P3AT doesn't fly out of my hand when I shoot it. Oh and pocket $250.

With that being said, if they could make a 9mm that size and I don't see why they can't, it would be sweeeet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my P232.

I think the two best-looking .380's out there are:

Walther PPK/s
Sig 230/232

HH
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Um, what? CA and MA have size restrictions on guns?
The city of LA has a size restriction, but LA County does not.  It's still importable

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
It's too bad that the people who run Colt are complete morons.  There is a high demand for Colt Mustangs and Colt 380 Government models for concealed carry.  Guys who shoot full size 1911's a lot want a carry gun that handles and has the safety in the same location as their full size gun.  Go look on GunsAmerica sometime.  The 380 government models are going for $700 on up.  It’s sad to see that it takes a foreign manufacturer to pick up on what many in the shooting community want.  If Colt would pull their head out of their ass, they could make some money here.  The same goes for bringing back the Colt Python.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never been a fan of anything SIG makes, but why your change in attitude?

well, lets see.  My 229 AD'd when dropped and the round tunneled through the floor blowing wood chips into my leg. Obviously I wasn't the one who dropped it.  I sent it back to Sig to get fixed.  They outright called me a liar, suggesting that I put a wire in the holster to pull the trigger.  

Also, a couple years ago, I pre payed for a 556 in February.  In November, I was still getting the run around.  I got my $ back and built a couple ARs instead.  

SIG can burn in hell for all I care.  Fuckers.  Call me a liar...

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Isn't it a little bulky for a .380?  My Sig 226 is built like a tank and carries like one too.

The LCP is lighter, narrower, shorter, and cheaper.  Hell no.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I love my SIGs.

My OLD SIGs.

I wouldn't buy anything new from them at this point.

Sad to say as SIG used to be one of the companies I could suggest to new shooters without hesitation as a reliable, rugged, quality pistol right out of the box.

Those days are gone.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Um,my Seecamp is a California Edition ( LWS32 with trigger safety) so that it's MA and CA legal so uhhh,the writer is FOS on a size restriction.

It'll need to pass MA's AG certification and get on the approved handgun roster but that's just a matter of it being submitted and approved.Yes,it's a PITA part of being a MA handgunner but thems the breaks sometimes.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll stick with my P232.

Walther PPK/s
Sig 230/232

HH

I kinda like the looks of this one, too.  

I've thought of replacing my P232 with one of the newer designs, but in the end, I can't come up with a good practical reason other than desire.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my early 90's manufacture P228!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a big fan of the Sig pistols I see offered now.  I dont like the look of them.  The smooth classic Sig lines I love have become too boxy.

Don't think I will be buying this .380.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#32]
What the heck was wrong with the .380 SIG P230? What market is this P238 supposed to fill that the P230 can't? I'd take a P230 anyday over that boxy looking thang.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Major gun history FAIL.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"The weight is just over 15 ounces, so while it's not a featherweight, you can actually shoot it without worrying it will fly out of your hand. "

For 15 ounces I can carry a 9MM. And my 11 ounce, loaded, P3AT doesn't fly out of my hand when I shoot it. Oh and pocket $250.

With that being said, if they could make a 9mm that size and I don't see why they can't, it would be sweeeet.

No kidding. The PM9 or Kel-Tec P11 will run circles around it.

13 rounds of 9mm in something the same size vs. 7 of .380.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#35]
OK all hear say and innuendo here.

I actually bought one.

Its EXACTLY like a Colt Mustang of old.

Magazines are interchangeable.

Its flat and gives you the ability to carry it cocked and locked.  Although the little safety doesnt give me much confidence.  Its easy to move it into fire position.

Its more substantial then my LCP and its somewhat easier to shoot.

Accuracy a little better for the 238.

Both guns will swallow any ammo thus far without a hiccup.

I will probably use both for my CCW.  

ONE PROBLEM I had with the 238.  There was a manufacturing defect that ran the entire length of the slide on the left side.  I was more of long crack or scratch then anything.  But I could see it failing at some point if I shot it more. Sig has it now and is going to replace the slide.  The service tech said he never saw that before.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love my SIGs.

My OLD SIGs.

I wouldn't buy anything new from them at this point.

Sad to say as SIG used to be one of the companies I could suggest to new shooters without hesitation as a reliable, rugged, quality pistol right out of the box.

Those days are gone.

+1  Saved me some typing.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. The PM9 or Kel-Tec P11 will run circles around it.

13 rounds of 9mm in something the same size vs. 7 of .380.

I love my PM9. It has to be under 15 ounces for me to consider it a pocket gun. Aside from capacity the Kahr is great for IWB comfort. However, if I can't diffuse a threat with 7 rounds, pretty sure my ass is already grass. Due to weight, comfort, having to tuck my shirt in etc, the P3AT is with me no matter what. Even with an MTAC, IWB with shirt tucked drives me nuts. Its the best holster I've ever used though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK all hear say and innuendo here.

I actually bought one.

Its EXACTLY like a Colt Mustang of old.

Magazines are interchangeable.

Its flat and gives you the ability to carry it cocked and locked.  Although the little safety doesnt give me much confidence.  Its easy to move it into fire position.

Its more substantial then my LCP and its somewhat easier to shoot.

Accuracy a little better for the 238.

Both guns will swallow any ammo thus far without a hiccup.

I will probably use both for my CCW.  

ONE PROBLEM I had with the 238.  There was a manufacturing defect that ran the entire length of the slide on the left side.  I was more of long crack or scratch then anything.  But I could see it failing at some point if I shot it more. Sig has it now and is going to replace the slide.  The service tech said he never saw that before

This is the Sig of today. Blatant defects and parts failures are way too common.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's too bad that the people who run Colt are complete morons.  There is a high demand for Colt Mustangs and Colt 380 Government models for concealed carry.  Guys who shoot full size 1911's a lot want a carry gun that handles and has the safety in the same location as their full size gun.  Go look on GunsAmerica sometime.  The 380 government models are going for $700 on up.  It’s sad to see that it takes a foreign manufacturer to pick up on what many in the shooting community want.  If Colt would pull their head out of their ass, they could make some money here.  The same goes for bringing back the Colt Python.

You know, my dad's got some machine tools.  I wonder if a 3.5" or 4.25" barreled 380 could be built on a 9mm Colt Officer or Colt Commander frame?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here's an article by Jim Tarr on SIG's new P238 .380 auto

New SIG P238 .380

basically looks like a Colt Mustang knock-off.....

What do you think, would you carry a pocket single-action cocked and locked?

Although I think it is a nice looking pistol, I would not pocket carry it cocked and locked. I would have no problems with carrying it IWB or on the belt in a proper holster. I am wondering why Sig chose to make this pistol when they already have the P232. I had a Sig P232 and I thought that was a great pistol.....it was a little large for pocket carry, but did fine in an IWB or ankle rig. If Sig is trying to compete with Kahr, then they need to make it DAO and a little smaller.....

Now if they made this one in 9mm, then I would consider it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

you've been playing too much counterstrike, eh?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call the .380 worthless. After all the .380 started WWI.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria#Assassination
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll stick with my P232.

Walther PPK/s

Sig 230/232

HH

I like the Beretta 84F as well

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Not quite as slick as the P230/232 ( the sexiest handgun of all time in stainless with wood grips IME) but I find the HK4 to also be elegant.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't pass Failifornia's "safe handgun" tests.

No loaded chamber indicator
Probably no magazine disconnect

I do think Ca has something about barrel length too, probably buried in the "saturday night special" regulations.

MA requires these also.

It also needs to have 5 samples destructively tested to be placed on the 'Approved firearms Roster'.

There is an 'target pistol' exemption but I doubt this will fly with that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call the .380 worthless. After all the .380 started WWI.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria#Assassination

Yeah, I wouldn't want one through the brisket....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Does this have a plastic trigger like the Mustang?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll stick with my P232.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HH

I agree

+2

Why would somoen choose this over the P232?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#50]
The PM9 is the same weight or maybe a little less.

The PM45 is only an ounce or two more.

This Sig in a 380 will not break any sales records except with the Sig diehards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top