Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/11/2017 6:21:19 AM EDT
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/exclusive-army-times-survey-tell-sma-if-you-like-the-world-war-ii-pinks-and-greens-uniform I was one of the proponents suggesting the return to WW2 dress uniforms in 2013-2014. Here's some examples of the current Army service uniform for both enlisted and officers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck yeah
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see anything pink about that uniform.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be cool to see.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'm just simple and don't understand the need for a uniform between a field uniform and Class Bs.

But to be fair I also don't get why so many office workers wear field or flight uniforms every day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Does that include the 1911...?

( they ALL fall to hardBALL )
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see anything pink about that uniform.
View Quote
In WW2 over time they faded and appeared a feint pinkish tone in harsh sunlight. But brand new they would appear tan. European theater had green coats and jackets. Pacific theater was all tan. 2 examples for Europe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I was hoping for combat uniforms too.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Germans returned to their m40 uniforms?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Neat. Going to cost the soldier half a grand to switch over...I had to buy my blues for that switch...little over 600 out the door.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess I'm just simple and don't understand the need for a uniform between a field uniform and Class Bs.

But to be fair I also don't get why so many office workers wear field or flight uniforms every day.
View Quote
totally agree.

Plus it looks like you're trying to be like the Navy and have 87 uniforms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neat. Going to cost the soldier half a grand to switch over...I had to buy my blues for that switch...little over 600 out the door.
View Quote
Totally enhanced your combat capabilities, didn't it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I feel your pain having had to purchase both O and E uniforms (to impress the board) within an 18 month time frame plus tailoring at Ft. McNair.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#13]
hahaha

Hope they include those nasty elastic shirt stays we had in the Marines that rip out chunks of leg hair after the slightest movement. Nothing worse than getting ADNCO/DNCO guard duty in the Marines and having to wear Charlies for 24hrs straight.  I was on a lot of Army bases and you guys got to wear cammies almost everywhere...I was definitely butthurt/jealous.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
totally agree.

Plus it looks like you're trying to be like the Navy and have 87 uniforms.
View Quote
Speaking of the Navy https://www.stripes.com/news/navy-confirms-fall-release-for-green-cammies-offers-other-uniform-updates-1.451147
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
wtf.

I thought the military paid for everything a soldier needs. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
We knew that was going to happen. Can't let the corpsman only get the fancy green marpat.

I'll admit, after learning the Marines no longer have desert marpat made me a little sad. At least it made it easier to see rank when you have a hard charging 1st SGT/Master SGT coming your way and needed the formal greeting...with deserts you could actually see the diamond/crossed rifles from 15 feet away and save you from getting "devil dogged." With greens the black rank is just a blob of blab..."Good morning...master gu...ehh.first sgt...."
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#17]
We don't need a garrison uniform.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wtf.

View Quote

haha...not sure if you're being sarcastic. I was so broke with E3 pay and trying to afford gear/uniforms, etc..

Of course every time some new ball/dance/retirement ceremony happens you need to dig out your crumbled uniform from the foot locker, realize it has the wrong rank, and rush to get it pressed/new rank sewn on.

Half of my infantry gear was paid out of pocket too. The longer you serve the less chance of you becoming a gear queer....it cost too much to buy excess stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Good idea.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Or... the Army could keep its uniforms and spend the $$$ on ammo, fuel and parts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We don't need a garrison uniform.
View Quote
ZOMG, how's everyone gonna look squared away?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#22]

The field uniforms from that era were good-looking and would make good service uniforms.  Does the Army intend to do the summer, winter, and tropical versions, or just the winter version (or winter coat with summer trousers)?

The actual dress uniforms used by the Army back then had their wear temporarily suspended starting before the war even began, though, and would be discontinued without the suspension ever being lifted after the war.  They kind of resembled what the Marines wear today, especially for artillerymen due to their branch colour.  Dark blue peaked cap piped in branch colour with branch insignia in front and black chinstrap and visor; dark blue frock coat with standing collar and somewhat short skirt, also piped in branch colour with a black leather belt with brass buckle, rank insignia also being in branch colour; and trousers similar in shade to what the Marines replaced sky blue with and still wear today, with trouser stripes for NCOs in branch colour; and black ankle boots.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Or the Army could spend that money on upgrading the M4, and training it's troops.

Or maybe spend it on that lightweight land warrior vehicle thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Now they need Herbert Sobel as their commander
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Is finding new uniforms some kind of busy work they hand out to command ranks that don't have a command?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#27]
When they up my clothing allowance then we'll talk.  Any more new uniforms with new prices and I'll have to buy the top one year and the bottoms the next.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Could be because so many Army officers end up in the motor pool and flight line every day?

It could also be that the Army is big on uniformity, in most units the "uniform of the day" is a utility uniform most days, having officers in one uniform and enlisted in another would not be uniform, it would also not help unit cohesion and esprit de corp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be because so many Army officers end up in the motor pool and flight line every day?

It could also be that the Army is big on uniformity, in most units the "uniform of the day" is a utility uniform most days, having officers in one uniform and enlisted in another would not be uniform, it would also not help unit cohesion and esprit de corp.

Who said officer v enlisted?  Walk through a headquarters unit and damn near everyone is wearing field uniforms.  This isn't just an Army thing either, everyone walks around in utilities when a whole lot of them are at zero risk of needing them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is finding new uniforms some kind of busy work they hand out to command ranks that don't have a command?
View Quote

I think it's more about busy bodies trying to make their mark during temporary slow downs between wars. I'm sure we'll see another fitness test program or other BS to piss off garrison troops even more.
We'll see a lot more of this in the next few years. As much as I hate war, at least this type of BS gets pushed aside. The stories my friends tell me of garrison life during peacetime periods would make me go crazy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I imagine there are probably people in DoD the bureaucracy, uniformed or otherwise, whose careers revolve around these kinds of changes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Great. Another opportunity for senior NCOs to make life hell for soldiers who don't spend $600-$800 on a new dress uniform the day it comes out. I know a soldier who got thrown out of a board because he was wearing dress greens after the blues came out. Greens hasn't reached their wear out date yet, but the SGM lost his shit about how "unmotivated" the soldier was for having not purchased them yet. I guess we're about to see more boneheaded instances like that one.

The army changes uniforms so often that it's an obvious AAFES racket and nothing else.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
wtf.

View Quote

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry.

Hahahaha Hahahahahaha

They don't. Many units are such garbage that you'll even be paying for your own rifle cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I imagine there are probably people in DoD the bureaucracy, uniformed or otherwise, whose careers revolve around these kinds of changes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Kept shit running the same" doesn't make a good EPR bullet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

haha...not sure if you're being sarcastic. I was so broke with E3 pay and trying to afford gear/uniforms, etc..

Of course every time some new ball/dance/retirement ceremony happens you need to dig out your crumbled uniform from the foot locker, realize it has the wrong rank, and rush to get it pressed/new rank sewn on.

Half of my infantry gear was paid out of pocket too. The longer you serve the less chance of you becoming a gear queer....it cost too much to buy excess stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf.

totally serious question.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Isn't he a dandy, all shined up for his photo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The field uniforms from that era were good-looking and would make good service uniforms.  Does the Army intend to do the summer, winter, and tropical versions, or just the winter version (or winter coat with summer trousers)?

The actual dress uniforms used by the Army back then had their wear temporarily suspended starting before the war even began, though, and would be discontinued without the suspension ever being lifted after the war.  They kind of resembled what the Marines wear today, especially for artillerymen due to their branch colour.  Dark blue peaked cap piped in branch colour with branch insignia in front and black chinstrap and visor; dark blue frock coat with standing collar and somewhat short skirt, also piped in branch colour with a black leather belt with brass buckle, rank insignia also being in branch colour; and trousers similar in shade to what the Marines replaced sky blue with and still wear today, with trouser stripes for NCOs in branch colour; and black ankle boots.
View Quote
At this time, surveys are being conducted, to determine feedback from soldiers before moving forward on the idea. So I can't answer your questions definitively but generally speaking the Army is reluctant to require more than 1 uniform for enlisted soldiers, whereas 2 or 3 seems to be preferred by the senior officers I spoke with at Ft. Belvoir and Ft. McNair in the fall of 2014. I made the suggestion to higher as a recruiting and retention tool and as a subtle way of trying to get rid of the black beret with baby blue flash once and for all. I campaigned forever and a day (starting in 2004) to replace the ACU with Crye multicam (Scorpion was chosen) so if there isn't strong positive feedback it may not happen or take 10 years to implement. I'll be monitoring Soldier Systems on Twitter for comments as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always believed "Shit I didn't change and just ran well" should be it's own section on Army Officer Evaluation Reports.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Or the Army could spend that money on upgrading the M4, and training it's troops.

Or maybe spend it on that lightweight land warrior vehicle thing.
View Quote
I got reamed for that exact statement in 2004. I'm also the one to blame for the 6.8 and .338 Lapua proposals.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every enlisted soldier in all branches gets an annual clothing allowance.  
They get it at New Years though and, unfortunately, many blow the money on other things.  Then they complain about how much uniforms cost.  While living in free housing.  

How do you post the little picture of the guy hiding behind the wall?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Short answer is yes AND no. Some of it is self-imposed and some keeping up with the Joneses so to speak. The Beltway is a brutal environment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The SGMs will find a way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be policin them moostash hairs...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fuck yeah
View Quote

They were classy as hell. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
wtf.

View Quote
Supposed to, in theory yes vs "how much do you value your career?" But a unit cannot require a soldier to purchase anything. I have purchased many items for soldiers back when I was a TL and SQD LDR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Be policin them moostash hairs...
View Quote
and
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Isn't he a dandy, all shined up for his photo.
View Quote
My Uncle Mike fought in his division........still alive at 93 but is wheelchair bound.

Always speaks highly of Patton.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fuck yeah
View Quote

Heck yeah. Just do it Army. MAGA!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#50]
they need to do to these:

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top