Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 8:25:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember what the clodhoppers we were issued in BCT were, but, I got a pair
of Black Altima Jungles the day I got to Permenant Party.

I stuck with those until my tankers in A/1-7 Cav presented me witha pair of HH Tanker Boots
for, essentially saving a foot of a guy that didn't clear the turret when told.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
militarysurplusstore.com/Merchant2/R5094L.jpg

I've got a pair just like those
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it was the belleville 700, a great boot!

supposedly there is a waiver so you can wear the belleville with the ACU's might be good for the guys who are on a budget and have 4 pairs!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

Altama or Wellco regular issue black boot.  

The only Belleville's I've ever been issued were during RFI for deployment and they were suede-desert's.  2 prs, hot and cold weather.  Just too bad they are too big and we have no word on when we exchange them.  Its good thing my regular jungle-desert boot ones fit ok.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A pair?

I've got 6prs.  Only one pair I bought, the rest issued.

Good hunting/4wheeling boots.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Those boots farking suck!!!!    First thing I did when I got to Permanent Party was to buy new boots, Corcoran II and Matterhorn.  My feet thanked me for it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Leg boots...

Altama Jungle boots all the way
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Leg boots...

Jungle boots are "leg" boots too
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Leg boots...

+1

I have 2 pairs of the issued boots, They SUCK the BIG ONE.
The Altama Jungle Boots are much better. They're essentially the same as the desert boots except the desert boots are suede leather and do not have vent holes on the bottom.

THAT SAID I was out in the desert for 1 week (enough sand to turn my black jungle boots brown/desert tan) and not a whole lot of sand got into the boot via the vent holes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Those were the worst pair of boots I ever bought.  My $20 pair of "commerical" Vietnam Jungle Boots were more comfortable and lasted longer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those "leg" boots were actually good to jump in.  They offered more ankle support than jungles.  Plus, they were well broken in from OSUT / BAC.    

I'll never say a bad word about 'em.

I was wearing a pair when I broke my ankle at work 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in the first BCT class to get issued the "updated" boots.  They are made by Bates.  They are pretty nice, but heavy and the foam splits too easy.
Best thing about these is that they are quite waterproof!
When I arrived at AIT (Ft Bragg 37F), the Drill Sgt got on me quickly about having store-bought boots.  (Everyone else got an earlier BCT appointment) Told me to put them in my civilian bag.  I got smoked pretty good for not having "issue" boots before I could explain that the Bates WERE issue.  Not believing me, I had to purchase the older issue, and still caught crap for months before the under class arrived, all wearing Bates.
http://www.copshoes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20500.jpg
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was in the first BCT class to get issued the "updated" boots.  They are made by Bates.  They are pretty nice, but heavy and the foam splits too easy.
When I arrived at AIT (Ft Bragg 37F), the Drill Sgt got on me quickly about having store-bought boots.  (Everyone else got an earlier BCT appointment) Told me to put them in my civilian bag.  I got smoked pretty good for not having "issue" boots before I could explain that the Bates WERE issue.  Not believing me, I had to purchase the older issue, and still caught crap for months before the under class arrived, all wearing Bates.
www.copshoes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20500.jpg

Same boat here when I finished AIT and got to my unit.  I was OSUT at Fort Sill, then when I arrived to my unit my new SL ripped into me about not having my issue boots, gave me a lecture on how I wasn't important enough to get new ones without permission, and then finally I got him to believe they were issued to me.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those "leg" boots were actually good to jump in.  They offered more ankle support than jungles.  Plus, they were well broken in from OSUT / BAC.    

I'll never say a bad word about 'em.

I was wearing a pair when I broke my ankle at work 2 years ago.

Imagine how bad you would've been injured if you were wearing jungles!  

LOL, would it have snapped clean off?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have about 10 pair of those boots. Every time we got a reserve unit training with us the first thing was toss those in the dumpster and buy some comfortable boots. I actually shellaqued and baked one pair for inspections. the damn things are sock hard to this day15 years later.

i use them around the yard but they suck for anything else.

that is so cool
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.copshoes.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20500.jpg

Same boat here when I finished AIT and got to my unit.  I was OSUT at Fort Sill, then when I arrived to my unit my new SL ripped into me about not having my issue boots, gave me a lecture on how I wasn't important enough to get new ones without permission, and then finally I got him to believe they were issued to me.

-Ben

Wow. And to think I wear my jungle boots with the service dress uniform... I just keep a copy of the uniform regs handy in my pocket just in case.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
damn LEG boots !!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A pair?

+1.

I didn't like them either until I figured out how to make them comfortable.

1) Ditch the insole that they came with and get some commercial ones.

2) Scrub them down with saddle soap a couple of times.

They turn out to be very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A pair?

+1.

I didn't like them either until I figured out how to make them comfortable.

1) Ditch the insole that they came with and get some commercial ones.

2) Scrub them down with saddle soap a couple of times.

They turn out to be very comfortable.

When they are new soak them in hot water and wear them around for a while.  It will shape them to your feet and they will be much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I arrived at AIT (Ft Bragg 37F), the Drill Sgt got on me quickly about having store-bought boots.  

My DI in basic sent me to the PX to buy Corcorann jump boots as the issue ones didn't give me enough arch support. In AIT half the company were wearing Corcoran jump boots. And everyone at my first line company wore them. But that was back in '73.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Jump boots suck !! Feel like freakin clown shoes.

I only wore them in Class A's
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I love Military lace boots,there is a callious that you aquire just in front of the ankle from wearing
lace boots!  But damn after wearing them 24/7 you feel like shit wearing TEE-SHOES!!!

Love the winter months and boots!!!!

I think that fighting in shorts and sandles is like building fence in thoungs and flip-flops!!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[I've got a pair just like those

A pair?

I was going to say "a pair?" myself.I have something like 10 pairs.Unlike you,most of mine are bought rather than issued. Along with about 20 sets of BDUs that are going to be worthless when we switch to the new uniform in the spring. Any word on whether Matterhorns gonna come out with a tan version of their winter boot for winter wear with the ACUs? I would assume so, but I haven't heard. I don't wear the standard boot in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[I've got a pair just like those

A pair?

I was going to say "a pair?" myself.I have something like 10 pairs.Unlike you,most of mine are bought rather than issued. Along with about 20 sets of BDUs that are going to be worthless when we switch to the new uniform in the spring. Any word on whether Matterhorns gonna come out with a tan version of their winter boot for winter wear with the ACUs? I would assume so, but I haven't heard. I don't wear the standard boot in the winter.

I had 6prs of BDU's and 4 prs of DCU's that are worthless because of switching over.  They are my hunting/paintballing/4wheeling clothes now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I had 6prs of BDU's and 4 prs of DCU's that are worthless because of switching over.  They are my hunting/paintballing/4wheeling clothes now.

I can wear the black boots til they are unfit for service in one of my other jobs. Dunno what I'll do with the BDUs. Not a paintballer or ATV person here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can wear the black boots til they are unfit for service in one of my other jobs. Dunno what I'll do with the BDUs. Not a paintballer or ATV person here.

Keep one pair to mothball for a souvenir, then sell the rest on the EE for cheap.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Keep one pair to mothball for a souvenir, then sell the rest on the EE for cheap.

Nah, I can wear them til they are unservicable. I don't have time for "souvenirs" that are still functional. My souvenir at the end of 20 years will probably be my class As that'll sit in the back of the closet  untouched til I go in my casket and then who knows what'll happen to them.

If I ever want a GI pair of black boots, its not like they're going out of production. The company will still be making them, even if they wont be selling as many as they used to. Heck, the green jungles have not been authorized for years now and you have no problem still finding those .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm.....could give them to neice/nephew/cousin to wear?  Cut half the bottoms off and use them as shorts?

I gave 2 prs of boots that were too big for me, to my cousin(s) to use as hunting boots...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Heck, the green jungles have not been authorized for years now and you have no problem still finding those .

LOL. But everyone likes them, from the CG on down.

They got around it in the 101st by putting a blurb in the Blue Book about what types of boots were considered military in appearance. The green jungle boot was one of them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Heck, the green jungles have not been authorized for years now and you have no problem still finding those .

LOL. But everyone likes them, from the CG on down.

They got around it in the 101st by putting a blurb in the Blue Book about what types of boots were considered military in appearance. The green jungle boot was one of them.

Practically everyone in the 82nd has them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#37]
In 8 years in various infantry units, I wore the issue boots only to basic/ait and airborne school...  the other 7.75 years were spent in green jungles, with a lightweight pair of insulated boots for snow.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Issued "Geneseo" or "Genesco" boots, can't remember for sure which spelling.  Then got Corcorans after Airborne School August 1979, and then straight to the green jungle boots most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#39]
The very last style to be issued was almost the same as these.

Made by Bellevue I think was the most common brand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. Heck, the green jungles have not been authorized for years now and you have no problem still finding those .

I have seen many a soldier wear them.

The green jungles actually ARE still authorized if you can find a mil spec pair.  As far as I know though, nobody is making a set anymore.

Quoted:
Quoted:
When I arrived at AIT (Ft Bragg 37F), the Drill Sgt got on me quickly about having store-bought boots.  

My DI in basic sent me to the PX to buy Corcorann jump boots as the issue ones didn't give me enough arch support. In AIT half the company were wearing Corcoran jump boots. And everyone at my first line company wore them. But that was back in '73.

Most of my platoon wore boots other than the issues in AIT as well as we were expected to keep our boots spit shined at all times.

I wore my Corocans occassionally when I wanted a really nice shining pair of boots as mine shined better than my other boots.

The issued boots can be VERY comfortable and take a VERY good shine, you just have to break them in well by wearing them and doing some work, and continue to build up a good layer of polish on them.

I have a set that'll shine like glass although I haven't worn them in a long time.  It takes some real work to get them looking good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is a reply to a couple of comments I read:

Green Jungles are still authorized for wear with BDUs, AR 670-1 is our friend. They can't be purchased in MCSS but can be worn until they are worn out. You can buy them from other sources. The DA message issuing guidelines for ACU wear even said that green jungles could sill be worn with BDUs until they are no longer serviceable. They are not authorized for wear with ACUs. Some units may not allow green jungles for formations where uniformity is required but they are sill authorized with BDUs.

The most current issued black combat boot was the Belleville ICB. This was a goretex lined half leather half nylon boot. There was a picture on the previous page. I don't think speed lace leg boots have been standard issue at Basic for a couple of years. Now all the Joes are getting the tan temperate and hot weather boots along with ACUs during their initial issue at basic. They are no longer getting the ICB.

Yes Matterhorns come in tan suede for wear with the ACUs. NO black boots are not authorized for wear with ACUs. I don't have a link to the DA message I referenced above but do a  google search and you should find it.
I am an active duty company commander and had to research some of these issues recently.  Wellco makes the best tan boots I have. They are called the VCL. I prefer these to the new issue tan boots. I have jumped, rucked, run, been to the field... in them. They are great-- Light and durable. If your chain of command allows the merril sawtooths or oakley assault boots are also pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Those are what I remember. Issued 2 pair in basic. Bought Corcorans while in AIT.

Gave all that stuff away to a guy who was an avid hunter (he was a little guy...and I was bigger then) and I gave all my hospital whites to charity. Only thing I kept was one camo coat/liner, and my belt.

Yep...stupid...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Few months back we ahd some guys show up at drill with tan boots and bdu's. This made the first sgt. a whole lot less than happy, apparantly the rules say you can wear this combo, but to me it looks a bit  ridiculous . His last word on the issue was noone was to wear them until he researched it this was about 4 drills ago and he still hasn't finished his research
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes, definitely keep a copy of the regs on your person. But remember that the final decision is left to the base commander (i.e. if he bans the wearing of black jungle boots with any uniform, regardless of the regs, then his word is the final word)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Few months back we ahd some guys show up at drill with tan boots and bdu's. This made the first sgt. a whole lot less than happy, apparantly the rules say you can wear this combo, but to me it looks a bit  ridiculous . His last word on the issue was noone was to wear them until he researched it this was about 4 drills ago and he still hasn't finished his research

Yes, its authorized during the transition. He could have found that in about ten minutes of looking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Hmm.....could give them to neice/nephew/cousin to wear?  Cut half the bottoms off and use them as shorts?

I cringe when I see people desecrate a set of BDUs like that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#47]
tc556,
I'm sure he could have , that is if he cared to look. And I don't believe he does.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The very last style to be issued was almost the same as these.
www.rangerjoes.com/images/7815.jpg

Made by Bellevue I think was the most common brand.

Thats right...  They had both brands during our issue.  I was hoping for the Danners sitting there during fitting (they looked like they had better leather and tounges that didn't bunch up).  The brand you got was dependant on your size.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Altama or Wellco regular issue black boot.  

The only Belleville's I've ever been issued were during RFI for deployment and they were suede-desert's.  2 prs, hot and cold weather.  Just too bad they are too big and we have no word on when we exchange them.  Its good thing my regular jungle-desert boot ones fit ok.

The current 'issue' boots (ICBs) are made by Belville, Wellco, Altima, and Bates... My perticular 2 pair are Belvilles...

They look nothing like the boots in the pic - too much leather on those...

The boots in question (a) are about 50% gore-tex & nylon with a synthetic leather heel and tow, which as per manufacturer's instructions & official guidelines are NOT ever supposed to be polished above a flat brush-shine... Needless to say, this gets ignored after BCT (yes, as of the issue of these boots, they are telling privates 'polish, don't shine' in BCT (my platoon was forbidden to spit-shine boots, when I was in BCT)).... On the flip side, they really are 100% waterproof - having submerged them over the ankles on land nav (Yankee Rd course, Ft Benning) they did a good job keeping my feet dry (just don't step in over the top of the boot - waterproofing works both ways)...

Moot point now, black boots are out, brown ones are back in...

These are the ones I got last Feb, aka 'last issue style of black boot' (since BCT issue is now ACU boots):

Come Febuary, I will have 3 pair ICBs and 1 pair of (well worn) jungles for sale... It's going to be a grey & brown new year...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, I can wear them til they are unservicable. I don't have time for "souvenirs" that are still functional. My souvenir at the end of 20 years will probably be my class As that'll sit in the back of the closet  untouched til I go in my casket and then who knows what'll happen to them.

If I ever want a GI pair of black boots, its not like they're going out of production.

Someone's gotta supply the Air Force & Navy with their requirement for black boots, plus a good collection of PDs

The company will still be making them, even if they wont be selling as many as they used to. Heck, the green jungles have not been authorized for years now and you have no problem still finding those .

You have no problem finding them on soldier's feet... In fact, I've seen so many folks wearing them I didn't know they were UA (my pair is black, though)... But then again, it's also easy to find folks who hi-gloss their ICBs, and some goofballs will undoubtably press their ACUs, and so on...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top