Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2016 7:07:47 PM EDT
Army demotes 'swinging general' after investigation into affairs, lifestyle

WASHINGTON — The Army has stripped Maj. Gen. David Haight of three ranks, Army Secretary Eric Fanning said Friday, following revelations contained in documents and interviews of Haight's decade-long extramarital affair and “swinger lifestyle.

A board of his peers called for Haight to be busted to lieutenant colonel, a demotion that will cost him nearly $43,000 per year in pension pay. Fanning, in an interview, said he had accepted the recommendation after a panel of three officers reviewed Haight's conduct — and his secret second life — and determined that lieutenant colonel was the last rank in which he had served satisfactorily.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/16/army-demotes-swinging-general-david-haight/95493058/
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck of a hefty paycut.  I suspect the swinging thing is more widespread than reported.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Utter fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet if he was a swinging tranny they would have congratulated him instead.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably just another purge of a warrior by the pansy Obama.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he still gets an average of his "high 3" years of service. That means he would still virtually get a BGen's pension.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he still gets an average of his "high 3" years of service. That means he would still virtually get a BGen's pension.
View Quote

No. They can take it away. I've seen it done.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel for the guy's wife but god damn 20 years ago no one would have thought of airing this guy's dirty laundry. Just let the man serve in peace...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
His retirement check will still be $79k for life. It could have been worse.

If I would have done what he did, I would have lost my retirement.

Never make booty calls on the government phone, Damn Ranger you know better
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Cleary those girl friends werent trannies ... or else it would have been some type of commendation rather than a demotion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
He knew the rules when he swore in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He knew the rules when he swore in.
View Quote

Which one?

What happens on TDY stays TDY, or Make sure you wrap your cock in the far east?

Kidding, of course.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Amazing everytime democrats are in....

This smacks of Tailhook
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Set himself up to be blackmailed and his job compromised betraying the trust put in him.
If he were enlisted they would have fried him and he would have no pension
If he were POTUS they'd cover it all up and nothing would happen to him.
Different spanks for different ranks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heck of a hefty paycut.  I suspect the swinging thing is more widespread than reported.
View Quote

At Schwab on Okinawa there were a bunch of married NCOs who had a "swingers club" - they got busted and there were demotions and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
There is or used to be an aviation navigational aid called a TACAN.

The flyers (both officer pilots, copilots, navigators, EWOs, and enlisted crew chiefs, loadmasters, flight engineers, boom operators, and etc.) motto in the Air Force was that you were no longer married when you were two or more TACANs away from your home base.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amazing everytime democrats are in....

This smacks of Tailhook
View Quote

This. Or Baker to Vegas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought Swinging was accepted as a Military Benefit.
almost all the swingers I know told me they started out when the husband was in the Army, Navy or Marines. ( none have confessed to being in the AF)
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]
BUT..........was he doing a good job besides fooling around?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I think my dad knew a guy prosecuted for adultery when he was in the Navy.

Meh.   I guess you could think of the UCMJ like the company handbook.   If it says not to do it in the company handbook, don't do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I feel for the guy's wife but god damn 20 years ago no one would have thought of airing this guy's dirty laundry. Just let the man serve in peace...
View Quote

As I understand the term, "swinging" denotes that the wife was aware of it, at the very least, or an active participant.

If he was enlisted, he would probably be looking at a discharge.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#24]
But, I thought we weren't supposed to care about what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms?

IOW, either we have rejected the "old morality" or we haven't.

This middle ground is bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Utter fucking bullshit.
View Quote

If he had a security clearance, then no, not BS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Utter fucking bullshit.
View Quote

Why ?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
You see, a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But, I thought we weren't supposed to care about what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms?

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The flyers (both officer pilots, copilots, navigators, EWOs, and enlisted crew chiefs, loadmasters, flight engineers, boom operators, and etc.) motto in the Air Force was that you were no longer married when you were two or more TACANs away from your home base.
View Quote

Still in use.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why ?
View Quote

Oh so many reasons. Mostly morality laws are shit. It's no longer prohibited to be gay or transgender in the military, why aren't you allowed to be sexually enlightened?

Seems like discrimination to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see your point, and I'm not directing this at you, but...

It's all fun and games until the guy whose wife you're diddling is behind you on the demo range... Or, piloting the aircraft you're on.

There's a reason that "old morality" is encoded into the UCMJ; common fucking sense. I may or may not care what you get up to on your own time, in your own bedroom, but when your inability to keep your dick (or, vagina...) inside the confines of your own boxers and panties starts affecting my ability to conduct the mission and/or personal survival odds... Well, sweetheart, your prick's/pussy's pleasure suddenly becomes my fucking business.

After having to clean up a couple of fairly significant messes created by this crap, and watching it tear apart units, I have no patience whatsoever with these assholes who decry the "old morality" while offering nothing in its place that might reduce the odds that PFC Jones is gonna kill 2LT Smith for screwing around with his wife. Or, that MAJ Doe is gonna decide to crash the C-141 I'm flying on, so he can "get back" at BG Rite who's been pressuring him to "let" his wife have sex with him--Both of which were cases I was a witness to, and thankfully, the second one was stopped before he got the bird into the air when his wife came home early and found the note he'd left her. Nothing like being on an Air Force cargo aircraft as cargo when the SPs show up and haul the pilot off, and the crew chief and co-pilot nearly shit their pants after talking to them...

Infidelity and sexual shenanigans of similar nature have no place around the military. You've got too many people with too many opportunities to play around with dangerous toys to have them considering ways with which to use those toys in eliminating romantic rivals and/or the assholes who cuckolded them. Sex is gonna happen, sure--But, for the love of God, keep it to shit and people who aren't going to impact the units. I really don't want someone deciding to pop the cork on a demo charge I'm prepping downrange, in order to get back at the guy standing next to me who was fucking his girlfriend last week--Which is something else that nearly happened to me. Thank God my team leader spotted the nutter unshunting the damn leads to the charges we were inspecting, and stopped him. I don't know who I was more pissed at--The idiot who'd just about killed me as casual collateral damage, or the dumbfuck who decided to play Jody to a guy in his own platoon. Fucking morons, all of 'em...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]

The article is crap.  Is he a swinger or a serial adulterer?  There's a definite difference.  If he and his wife want to have a swinging marriage then that should be ok.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh so many reasons. Mostly morality laws are shit. It's no longer prohibited to be gay or transgender in the military, why aren't you allowed to be sexually enlightened?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

orly?

Quoted:

It's all fun and games until the guy whose wife you're diddling is behind you on the demo range... Or, piloting the aircraft you're on.

There's a reason that "old morality" is encoded into the UCMJ; common fucking sense. I may or may not care what you get up to on your own time, in your own bedroom, but when your inability to keep your dick (or, vagina...) inside the confines of your own boxers and panties starts affecting my ability to conduct the mission and/or personal survival odds... Well, sweetheart, your prick's/pussy's pleasure suddenly becomes my fucking business.

After having to clean up a couple of fairly significant messes created by this crap, and watching it tear apart units, I have no patience whatsoever with these assholes who decry the "old morality" while offering nothing in its place that might reduce the odds that PFC Jones is gonna kill 2LT Smith for screwing around with his wife. Or, that MAJ Doe is gonna decide to crash the C-141 I'm flying on, so he can "get back" at BG Rite who's been pressuring him to "let" his wife have sex with him--Both of which were cases I was a witness to, and thankfully, the second one was stopped before he got the bird into the air when his wife came home early and found the note he'd left her. Nothing like being on an Air Force cargo aircraft as cargo when the SPs show up and haul the pilot off, and the crew chief and co-pilot nearly shit their pants after talking to them...

Infidelity and sexual shenanigans of similar nature have no place around the military. You've got too many people with too many opportunities to play around with dangerous toys to have them considering ways with which to use those toys in eliminating romantic rivals and/or the assholes who cuckolded them. Sex is gonna happen, sure--But, for the love of God, keep it to shit and people who aren't going to impact the units. I really don't want someone deciding to pop the cork on a demo charge I'm prepping downrange, in order to get back at the guy standing next to me who was fucking his girlfriend last week--Which is something else that nearly happened to me. Thank God my team leader spotted the nutter unshunting the damn leads to the charges we were inspecting, and stopped him. I don't know who I was more pissed at--The idiot who'd just about killed me as casual collateral damage, or the dumbfuck who decided to play Jody to a guy in his own platoon. Fucking morons, all of 'em...

Sorry, kirk, but obviously you're just not "sexually enlightened" enough.  I'm sure someone can do a power point about it for you.  Maybe lokifox can hook you up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Utter fucking bullshit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#35]
If he were a swinging lesbian transgender he would have gotten a promotion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

orly?

Sorry, kirk, but obviously you're just not "sexually enlightened" enough.  I'm sure someone can do a power point about it for you.  Maybe lokifox can hook you up.
View Quote

I think Lokifox was being sarcastic... At least, I hope he was.

One of the things that's struck me, over the course of my life, is just how much of the "bullshit" people decried as "old-fashioned, reactionary, and hypocritical" has actually turned out to have a reasonable basis as rules for creating and living in a civilized society.

I offer in support of this a bit of hoary, ancient knowledge referred to by we dinosaurs as "Chesterton's Fence", to wit:

"In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it."

Wikipedia on Chesterton's Fence
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly, either we can have non-binary other kin serve amongst us or not. Swingers indicates his Wife knew and actively participated. So what if my Wife were bi and picked up a woman for some week-end sexcapades? All consent, so what's the problem?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

TDY bachelor.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#39]
But according to democrats, when the commander in chief was caught with an intern, it was his personal life and had nothing to with his POTUS position.  Why is this officer treated differently?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

And what if you're fucking your squad leader and he dumps you for your Team Leader?  Infantry love triangle bitches!

Bad for good order and discipline.

But we've punted on that.

So we should punt on all of it.

Not pretend some of it is prejudicial to good order and discipline and some of it isn't.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I miss don't ask don't tell
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I knew an E-6 That would never make e-7 for cheating on his wife while in the Navy

and that was 25 years ago

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is what bit him

"The Army has stripped Maj. Gen. David Haight of three ranks, Army Secretary Eric Fanning said Friday,
following revelations contained in documents and interviews of Haight's decade-long extramarital affair and “swinger lifestyle."
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Did he do his job good or not. That is all that should matter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

It actually isn't all that should matter.

But since we're blank checking deviate sexual behavior in some quarters, we shouldn't be picking and choosing.

Either we regulate it or we don't.

If we don't, then don't.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This post nails it.

So I can decide to be any one of 37 genders at my leisure, I can flip-flop which genitals I fondle on weekends on an hour by hour basis, but by golly if I do that stuff while in a relationship with a lifelong partner its a VIOLATION OF GOOD ORDER AND DISCIPLINE!!!

If we're going to have an DoD with institutional morality, we need a clear ethical code.  This Choose Your Own Adventure book of UCMJ-punishable moral do's and don't's is retarded.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Tarawa Terrace I and II are well known for swinging.  Those that have lived in or around those two base housing communities are well aware, as are senior USMC officers on the east coast.

It's an open secret, but embarrassing to USMC brass nonetheless.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong

He proved himself unwilling to keep his word and able to be blackmailed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And what if you're fucking your squad leader and he dumps you for your Team Leader?  Infantry love triangle bitches!

Bad for good order and discipline.

But we've punted on that.

So we should punt on all of it.

Not pretend some of it is prejudicial to good order and discipline and some of it isn't.
View Quote

Ding ding ding!

It's the conservative SJW brigade at work.

Scrap the whole fucking program if that's what we've decided we want.

Some animals are more equal than others though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I bet if he was a swinging tranny they would have congratulated promoted him instead.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top