Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:44 AM EDT
Hey guys, Im currently in the Army reserves and it seems as if everyone else in my unit is getting randomly pulled to deploy though I requested it and volunteered via AKO. I am meeting with the CO tomorrow to sign my conditional release so I can go in to the Guard with hopes of having a greater chance to deploy.

Are my chances better with the Guard as Ive been hearing, or should I sit tight where Im at?

Thank you all in advance.

P.S. I havent been to MOS training yet as I was an 03 in the Marines, but I will be deplying as an 88M (when I get sent to school)

P.P.S. Several of the Soldiers that got pulled havent been to 88M school yet either. WTF ARFCOM????
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good question, been wondering the same thing myself. (I always have joining the Reserves or Guard in the back of my mind...)

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good question, been wondering the same thing myself. (I always have joining the Reserves or Guard in the back of my mind...)

It all depends, national guard, IIRC, is all combat arms (Inf, Armor, Arty) and the reserves are all support...this was 7-8 years ago, don't know if it has changed. So it depends on the Armies needs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
USMC_Ryfleman....  I believe the Guard is the better bet.  Easier to shop around for units deploying.  My state has a unit that started MOBing (in state) last week that I KNOW needs 88M's.  You still might be able to jump on that.  (PM or email me if interested.)

GI-45 -  PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#4]
An acquaintance of mine (an E6 in the Reserves) told me a year back or so that moving over to the Guard would greatly increase the chances of a deployment. But as mentioned already, it depends on the needs of the Army.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]
As stated before Guard units are command arms and reserve is support and training support.  CA is all reserves and they deploy a good bit.  Go to Guard Knowledge Online and you can find what units need what MOSs filled for deployments.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Idiot mike......

Come on man you were an 0311, sack up and go combat arms again! Army rucks less!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top