Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 7:11:27 AM EDT
I have a business acquaintance that I talk to now and then.  Over a lunch a couple of weeks ago he told me a story about being a Ranger.  It seemed odd to me.

First of all I believe what he says for the most part.  He does not seem the type to make things up.  I don't question his honesty.

He says he is a Desert Storm veteran.  He was an Artillery officer. He was a West Point graduate that stayed in for one enlistment and did not make the Army his career.

He said he went to Ranger School.  He said that he went all through the training and completed the course but at the end he was not given his Ranger tab because they said he was too much of a smart ass and did not embody the Ranger spirit or something like that.

He is a cocky cynical type guy so I can almost believe it.

He said later he went back through Ranger School and kept his mouth shut and passed.  

Does that sound right to all you that completed the course?  Can you complete the training but then not be given the Ranger designation because of attitude? Is that possible?

In a couple of conversation he had a chance to talk about desert Storm but his stories seemed reasonable and not bloated.  

Is it probable he dropped out of Ranger School but is using the the bad attitude as an excuse?  I don't think there would be any dishonor in having to take the course twice to pass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Thankstagging.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
"Not a Ranger"
but I think they have a peer review that yea could get him dropped at the very least the cadre might have thought he was an A$$ and vote no go.  Yes repeating parts or all of the class is fine you pass you pass you are a Ranger!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell..... I've got a buddy who was "recycled" during mountain phase.   This mofo lived in the farkin' mountains prior to enlistment and was a physical bad-ass.   So we all asked "WTF"?????

.....................turns out they don't like it when you tell your instructor "i don't have to take any shit from an asshole who looks like Joey Buttafuoco!"  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
He may be ranger qualified, but unless he's assigned to the regiment, he's not a Ranger, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
What's with all these "So my buddy claims he was a SEAL / SF / Ranger..." all of a sudden?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
why these threads?  why?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, absolutely possible.  Only a fraction of the people who start a class get tabbed.  Many are dropped for medical reasons or "lack of motivation" (i.e. they quit).  Some get all the way to the end of the class, but do not get tabbed because they did not earn the minimum number of points to graduate.  Points are based, in part, on peer evaluations, and if your classmates or the Ranger Instructors think you are not pulling your weight or are a smartass, it'll hurt you.  You are normally offered the opportunity to go through the next available class to try again.  I've known a few who went through twice, back-to-back, and one guy who went through three times.

It is not a requirement, but it is an "expectation" that combat arms officers earn their Ranger tab.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He may be ranger qualified, but unless he's assigned to the regiment, he's not a Ranger, IMO.

I agree, Ranger school is just a leadership course. Rangers wear the scroll.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
nvm
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
nvm again
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like he was "peered out".
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's with all these "So my buddy claims he was a SEAL / SF / Ranger..." all of a sudden?  

Got to cobble together a good story for the next gun show.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I think today's society has mistaken placed an Army Ranger into the same class as a Park Ranger, Range Rover, Raccoon Ranger and even the tough as nails kitchen range....er

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL

Your friend was a jack ass, he should had just kept him mouth shut.

If you act like a ass, or don't pull your weight your not gonna wear the Tab.

RIs are the quality control, and its up to us to make sure you have the skills,quality and character worthy of representing the Ranger Tab.

Yep plenty slip through the cracks, but we did our best.

When we went through mountains we had a guy that always magically seemed to pass his patrols, but in the mountains he was a jack ass so the 2 days after the FTX he got 3 major minus spot reports and we peered him.

He got recycled and failed again and I never saw him after that.

You reap what you sew.

Free

Quoted:
Hell..... I've got a buddy who was "recycled" during mountain phase.   This mofo lived in the farkin' mountains prior to enlistment and was a physical bad-ass.   So we all asked "WTF"?????

.....................turns out they don't like it when you tell your instructor "i don't have to take any shit from an asshole who looks like Joey Buttafuoco!"  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#16]
If it's true... And he actually failed Ranger school because he was a jackass, he has to be the biggest douchebag walking for his peers to fail him like that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say anyone is "just" a tabbed Ranger anymore than I'd say someone is "just" Army SF instead of Delta/CAG/whatevertheyarethesedays.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
What about the Korean Ranger Companies/Vietnam Rangers??

They were never assigned to a Regiment

Free

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone is bored with the parades/waiting for the Turkey to get done.

Free

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL

RIs are the quality control, and its up to us to make sure you have the skills,quality and character worthy of representing the Ranger Tab.

When we went through mountains we had a guy that always magically seemed to pass his patrols, but in the mountains he was a jack ass so the 2 days after the FTX he got 3 major minus spot reports and we peered him.

You reap what you sew.

Free

Quoted:

Is this an example of six degrees of Arfcom?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say anyone is "just" a tabbed Ranger anymore than I'd say someone is "just" Army SF instead of Delta/CAG/whatevertheyarethesedays.

Some of us actually aspired to just be tabbed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a close friend of the family who is a retired USMC Recon Marine. I have literally never heard him say that he was a force recon marine, ever. The only reason I know is because his spouse told us way way way back when. He doesn't even like to admit that he was active duty military when he was still in, and when ever he was asked he would always only reply "yeah im in the military.".

I think the SF branches consist of 80% of people like him. They don't need to brag about shit to anyone. That's why I feel a huge tingle in the BS sensor when ever anyone talks about being, or even having a friend who is some ultra special forces person who did all sorts of bad ass shit. The only time I ever heard my buddy talk about "what he did" was when he was really drunk, and he only mentioned one single incident which included nothing glamorous at all.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What about the Korean Ranger Companies/Vietnam Rangers??

They were never assigned to a Regiment

Free

Quoted:

I should've specified US Army Ranger.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

You reap what you sew.

Free

Quoted:

LOL.... nope, not my buddy.   He kept his mouth shut the 2nd time around and was eventually tabbed.

....................and yes, he WAS a jack ass!   No argument.....

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#25]
You don't know the half of it

In the 4 yrs I spent as a RI in FL I have seen a few of the worst human beings I have ever laid my eyes on.

I once had a CPT tell a SSG to get fucked as he wasn't going to pull security and he was going to sleep.

The SSG was in a leadership position and just wanted this guy to pull security while they pulled on of the 240s off the line for cleaning.

We just watched as the SSG walked away, then my buddy told him he better go make that guy listen to him.

He went up to the guy told him to get off his ass, grab the Saw(light MG) and pull security.

This dirt bag gets up and punches this kid in the face, we break up the fight and tell the CPT to pack his shit.

The POS CPT went home without his Tab.

Its interesting to see peoples character flaws come to the surface after a few days in the woods/swamps

Free

Quoted:
If it's true... And he actually failed Ranger school because he was a jackass, he has to be the biggest douchebag walking for his peers to fail him like that.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earning the short tab generally says something about a guy, regardless of whether he ever served in Regiment. Still, I wouldn't personally call a guy a Ranger had he not served in Regiment.  As an aside, I've known some pretty fucked up guys wearijg various kinds of tabs, but the short tabbers fitting that description were seldom from Regiment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#27]
He learned his lesson, that's all that counts

We have all been there once or twice

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

You reap what you sew.

Free

Quoted:

LOL.... nope, not my buddy.   He kept his mouth shut the 2nd time around and was eventually tabbed.

....................and yes, he WAS a jack ass!   No argument.....

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
why these threads?  why?

Because common sense isn't common, People are too lazy to spend 5 minutes researching how something works and they would rather let someone else do the work for them? Or maybe they dont have the history, military or discovery channel where they loop things like Ranger school 24 hrs a day?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep a Tab doesn't make one great, just qualified

Everything after is earned good or bad

Free

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earning the short tab generally says something about a guy, regardless of whether he ever served in Regiment. Still, I wouldn't personally call a guy a Ranger had he not served in Regiment.  As an aside, I've known some pretty fucked up guys wearijg various kinds of tabs, but the short tabbers fitting that description were seldom from Regiment.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You don't know the half of it

In the 4 yrs I spent as a RI in FL I have seen a few of the worst human beings I have ever laid my eyes on.

I once had a CPT tell a SSG to get fucked as he wasn't going to pull security and he was going to sleep.

The SSG was in a leadership position and just wanted this guy to pull security while they pulled on of the 240s off the line for cleaning.

We just watched as the SSG walked away, then my buddy told him he better go make that guy listen to him.

He went up to the guy told him to get off his ass, grab the Saw(light MG) and pull security.

This dirt bag gets up and punches this kid in the face, we break up the fight and tell the CPT to pack his shit.

The POS CPT went home without his Tab.

Its interesting to see peoples character flaws come to the surface after a few days in the woods/swamps

Free

Quoted:

Rumor was you can't peer out foreigners anymore since a head-in-the-box guy from the ME. Anyone know if there was any truth to that rumor?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Getting peered does not automatically make someone a "douchebag".  You know who gets pushed through RS?  IOBC/Officer fags.  You think an enlisted guy is not going to get peered in a squad full of officers.

To earn the title Ranger, you have to have served in a Ranger unit.  Period.  This includes the modern day 75th Ranger Regiment, the Vietnam LRP/LRRP/Rangers and Vietnam Rangers, etc.

Otherwise you are "Ranger Qualified".

People who only want the tab want to take the easy route of 2 months then go around the rest of their lives telling people they are a "Ranger".    

Ranger School taught me a few things......lots of douchebags get their tabs.....and lots of squared away dudes don't....hence why anyone from Regiment doesn't put a whole lot of faith in just a tab alone.

Ranger Regiment you maintain the standard everyday or you are gone.

The majority of RI's I had were douchebags....say 99% of them.  Freefall7 you can take offense, but it is what it is.

I'd take a platoon of dudes RFS'd (kicked out) from Ranger Regiment over a platoon of non-Regiment tab-wearers any day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

i was wondering the same thing.

seems to be a bunch of them the last week or so.

oh well, nice change from the "the republcans lost because of blah blah blah" threads
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Rumor was you can't peer out foreigners anymore since a head-in-the-box guy from the ME. Anyone know if there was any truth to that rumor?

I've never been to Ranger school but I've attended other difficult schools where foreigners are allowed.  There's sometimes different standards.  We tried peering some of them, but it doesn't work.  They'll sometimes continue regardless.

Anyways, a co-worker attended a sniper course one time.  It just so happened a couple female officers from Jordan attended also.  When the princess came over and visited for the graduation, she asked the instructors how her soldiers preformed.  Nothing was held back and she was very upset and a verbal slashing commenced.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've never been to Ranger school but I've attended other difficult schools where foreigners are allowed.  There's sometimes different standards.  We tried peering some of them, but it doesn't work.  They'll sometimes continue regardless.

You are not allowed to fail foreign military students out of US Military schools (to include flight school) because of the political consequences and the fact that it the past it has resulted in a few of the failed students being killed by their government for embarrassing the nation when they returned home.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are not allowed to fail foreign military students out of US Military schools (to include flight school) because of the political consequences and the fact that it the past it has resulted in a few of the failed students being killed by their government for embarrassing the nation when they returned home.

Figures.  It was all rumor-mill at work, as no one knew for sure.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Ranger tab is a school.

Ranger scroll is a way of life.

If he was an arty officer he might have gone through ranger school but he is not going back to his unit to be a ranger.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ranger tab is a school.

If he was an arty officer he might have gone through ranger school but he is not going back to his unit to be a ranger.

FSOs are Arty officers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ranger tab is a school.

The Regiment has many 13As serving as FSOs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Big difference between someone with a Ranger tab and an actual Ranger in batt. Oh and we have a military section here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ranger tab is a school.

I have a friend who went  to the Regt as a Company FSO and did a branch transfer to being infantry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ranger tab is a school.

And admin guys and cooks.

Scroll = Ranger
Tab w/no scroll = 61 day Ranger

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Does that sound right to all you that completed the course? Can you complete the training but then not be given the Ranger designation because of attitude? Is that possible?

Yes.  It happened to a good friend of mine who is a great officer, a great soldier, and a great man.  He got left standing at the end with no tab.  I think it broke his heart.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]
peered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top