Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2002 12:50:35 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm a Jr. in highschool and I'm looking at enlisting in the Army for a few years after I graduate.  My problem is finding an MOS that suites me.  I want to do something with firearms(yeah, army, shouldn't be a problem, lol) I'm looking at general Infantry, Special Operations Weapon Officer, some type of armorer, or a sniper.  All those appeal to me.  I'll also be trying out for the Army Marksmanship Unit when/if join.  
I enjoy long distance shooting and high power Service Rifle shooting the most.
Do any of you know of a related MOS in the Army?  Do you have any experience with any of them?  What are your recomendations?
Thanks for your help!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to play with guns and go special ops or something your best bet is to go Infantry.  From their do ranger school and so on and so on.  Whatever you do make sure you go to some combat arms job.  Sure Army chefs and clerks do their job, but we are less likely to make them special ops.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres something to look at:  [url]http://www.omegasector.net/memoriesjap.html[/url]

Its a guys diary as he went thru basic(incomplete), airborne school, and then RIP.  Thats exactly what you would be doing if you went in with a contract to be a ranger.

I'm still considering trying to get RIP in my contract when I join... but the combat water survival test has me spooked.  I've never been much of a swimmer.. so I'll probably go airborne or air assault.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets say that I signed up for Infantry and later decided to try out for Ranger School VS getting the Ranger contract upfront.  Is that possible?
Thanks!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Army is a great place, but have you considered the Marine Corps???  EVERY Marine is a rifleman no matter what his MOS is, but if its infantry you want, its infantry you'll get.  If you want rifles, its 0311...machine guns 0331...Being a Grunt is where its at!  Everyone else is just a pogue!hehe  And then if you have what it takes, you can always go to the Scout/Sniper school...

think about it...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, and keep it coming...  This is not a light decision.
Thx,
-Marksman
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Another thing to keep in mind that the guys on here have told me..

If you get RIP in your contract, and flunk out of RIP (can't meet physical requirements or whatever), you then get reassigned based on the needs of the Army.  So your liable to get some shit job in Korea or something.. if your lucky you'll end up in an airborne unit.

And like 82ndAn said.. either go straight to being a Ranger, or you won't have a chance at joining a Ranger battalion until re-enlistment time.  I talked to a guy on another forum who had airborne school, sniper school, ranger school, couple years of experience, and some rank under his belt(basically everything in his favor).. applied to transfer to the 75th and they said "thanks but no thanks."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top