Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 4:54:01 PM EDT

Army Develops ‘Ghost’ Imaging to Aid on Battlefield
By Christen N. McCluney
Special to American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2, 2009 – Physicists at the Army Research Laboratory are bringing quantum “ghost” imaging from the realm of scientific curiosity to practical reality.

Ghost imaging is a technique that allows a high-resolution camera to produce an image of an object that the camera itself cannot see. It uses two sensors: one that looks at a light source and another that looks at the object. These sensors point in different directions. For example, the camera can face the sun and the light meter can face an object.

That object might be a soldier, a tank or an airplane, Ron Meyers, a laboratory quantum physicist explained during an Oct. 28 interview on the Pentagon Channel podcast “Armed with Science: Research and Applications for the Modern Military.”

Once this is done, a computer program compares and combines the patterns received from the object and the light. This creates a "ghost image," a black-and-white or color picture of the object being photographed. The earliest ghost images were silhouettes, but current ones depict the objects more realistically.

Meyers and his team produced the first ghost image of an opaque object in his quantum laboratory at the Army research facility.

“I think, or I would hope, in a few years that we have a soldier using a quantum ghost imaging imager to look through battlefield smoke and identifying friend or foe,” Meyers said.

Using virtually any light source –– from a fluorescent bulb, lasers, or even the sun –– quantum ghost imaging gives a clearer picture of objects by eliminating conditions such as clouds, fog and smoke beyond the ability of conventional imaging.

Meyers said there are other applications for ghost imaging in the military. Ghost-imaging sensors may allow helicopters or unmanned aerial vehicles to capture images that measure damage after a bomb is dropped. In the medical field, the imaging could improve X-rays to focus in on body parts. It also could be also used in search and rescue efforts.

Meyers, who recently won an Army Research and Development Achievement Award for his work in quantum physics and imaging, said receiving this award “shows that the efforts made in this area are being looked at seriously and are being considered for future applications.”

“What we try to do is come up with innovative solutions that will support the warfighter,” he said. “And when we can, we also spin off our technology for domestic uses.”

One of the biggest challenges Meyers faces is getting good measurements. “When you do a new science, you really need to perform your measurements with high quality so the experiments can be repeated by others,” he said. “At the Army Research Laboratory, we've been very lucky that we've been able to be funded to get very high-quality instruments.”

Meyers added that he finds his career in the Army rewarding. “I think it's really the best place to work for a scientist. You're given responsibility at a young age, and you're able to go as far as your thoughts and your abilities can take you.”

Anyone get how this works?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know how it works but it makes my head go like this trying to understand it. Interesting though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

By Christen N. McCluney

yup

but opsec prevents me from saying

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Without seeing more details (too lazy to look) I can think of somewhat related concepts.  In astronomy the atmosphere causes distortion when we look at planets or stars or whatever.  The distortions are caused by different areas of the atmosphere being different temperatures and it makes the image "wobble".  To compensate they take a laser and create an artificial star (point source) in the sky and they image that.  Since they know what that spot is supposed to look like they can feed the data into a computer and actually have the shape of the lens deform to correct for the distortion.  This is adaptive optics and is used in several different applications now.  This technology sounds different but there are some related aspects.  If you illuminate the target with a laser you are using a very defined source so you could extract information from the source light to compensate for thing in the air that would cause distortion.

Just a guess.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

From what I can tell. Photons create an interference field that impacts other photons traveling near them.

The camera looks at the interference pattern of the photons and infers the shapes of objects in the actual "field of view."

It probably helps to think of the "interference pattern" as just another wavelength of light... like IR or UV.

Because it really isn't frequency dependent... any light will do. Which makes it an improvement (in theory anyway).

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dont know how it works but it makes my head go like this trying to understand it. Interesting though.

Same here.

I'll just call it some high tech shit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I can tell. Photons create an interference field that impacts other photons traveling near them.

The camera looks at the interference pattern of the photons and infers the shapes of objects in the actual "field of view."

It probably helps to think of the "interference pattern" as just another wavelength of light... like IR or UV.

Because it really isn't frequency dependent... any light will do. Which makes it an improvement (in theory anyway).

So, uhh...how does it work?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. One of those posts that you hit the submit button on and then think "Well, that didn't help at all."

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
XRAY vision....DUH
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. One of those posts that you hit the submit button on and then think "Well, that didn't help at all."

I would guess that it uses some form of quantum entanglement. This is when two particles like photons are "entangled" in the space-time continuum and somehow manage to communicate their state instantly (look up "Shroedinger's Cat" for a wild explaination). When one of the photons hits an object, its state is altered and information about it can be inferred by the other "entangled" photon even at a large distance.

Imagine two entangled photons coming from the Sun. One goes to your camera and the other goes behind an object. The one that goes behind the object strikes another object, like a soldier. Instantly, the entangled photon that hits your camera can have its state sampled (polarity, wavelenght, etc) and we can infer what the state of the other photon is. Add up enough photons this way and you can build a picture of the soldier behind the object.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
But will it cost more than Gen III PVS-14 night vision?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]

I would guess that it uses some form of quantum entanglement. This is when two particles like photons are "entangled" in the space-time continuum and somehow manage to communicate their state instantly (look up "Shroedinger's Cat" for a wild explaination). When one of the photons hits an object, its state is altered and information about it can be inferred by the other "entangled" photon even at a large distance.

Imagine two entangled photons coming from the Sun. One goes to your camera and the other goes behind an object. The one that goes behind the object strikes another object, like a soldier. Instantly, the entangled photon that hits your camera can have its state sampled (polarity, wavelenght, etc) and we can infer what the state of the other photon is. Add up enough photons this way and you can build a picture of the soldier behind the object.

It doesn't sound like a quantum entanglement related idea to me, but I'm going to look into it more.  Schroedinger's Cat, however, isn't the quantum entanglement "thought experiment", you're thinking of the EPR paradox, I think
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It doesn't sound like a quantum entanglement related idea to me, but I'm going to look into it more.  Schroedinger's Cat, however, isn't the quantum entanglement "thought experiment", you're thinking of the EPR paradox, I think

You are correct. The EPR paradox is the more precise example, but Shroedinger's Cat is a simpler thought experiment illustrating how the act of  measurement decides the state of what you are measuring.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Found this blog which made sense to me (more or less anyway).  link

Still crazy as hell and makes my brain go all

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By Christen N. McCluney
Special to American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2, 2009 – SNIP

AH BRAIN MUSH

Does it light shit on fire or anything cool?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a visual version of the SINAD method of measuring receiver sensitivity.  

SINAD: Signal plus Noise And Distortion,  over Noise and Distortion.

S+N+D/N+D = S.

But it's WAY more complex than just that!

CJ

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are indeed using quantum entanglement.
Interesting link. Thanks.

Note that this technique would make it possible to take a picture of things behind denser objects than mere clouds. For example, if using particles other than photons it would be possible to image objects deep underground.

I also note that the conversation in the comments section immediately turned toward protecting the Second Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you're thinking of the superposition of the wave functions.  I don't think the paradox is relevant other than it is always there with anything dealing with light.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The computer program figures out which photons from the source and which photons from the target should reach the photoplane with the same quantum relation.  All the remaining photons from the target are essentially filtered out, leaving those that describe the target.

Well damn that is exactly what I was going to say.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for that.  It's friggin amazing.  I love learning about new developments.   It's great to know that new and remarkable things are still being invented.  

Now all we need is controllable fusion reactors, and anti-gravity.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]

You are correct. The EPR paradox is the more precise example, but Shroedinger's Cat is a simpler thought experiment illustrating how the act of  measurement decides the state of what you are measuring.

It's been a good many years since I cracked open any of the books on my shelves re: quantum theory.  Need to do some refresher reading.  And solve that "not so good at math" thing.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]
i would say cool, but I dont trust the government so all i can think about is how it will be used to invade the privacy of citizens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#24]
So what will this do when you got a Hadji firing a Full auto PKM at you and another Hadji shooting an RPG at you?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that.  It's friggin amazing.  I love learning about new developments.   It's great to know that new and remarkable things are still being invented.  

Now all we need is controllable fusion reactors, and anti-gravity.

Holy fuck... I mean... wow.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#28]
First I went   and then I was like   and now I am like
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Total Recall hologram?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top