Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:36:28 PM EDT
So next  month, for  the first time, I get to fly commercially while armed.  I'll be on duty and have  the required Chief's letter and of  course all the correct credentials.  

Who's done this, where do I go first when I walk in the terminal?  Any tips on making this a "smooth" experience?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you taken the federal course yet???

They give you all the parameters in the class. You need the class including the dept. letter.

I got by without it one time......the second time they let it slide with the aid of the Airport Sgt.

I then took the class and learned it was a requirement in order to fly.

Just go to the counter and they will help you. If you took the class, you should know what to say and look for. Sorry, but a public board isn't the place for the info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the check-in counter, show the person there your identification and letter and request the LEO Flying While Armed form.  It's pretty easy to fill out, there are about five copies.  The folks at the counter will tell you how to proceed from there.

Trust me, carrying concealed in the cramped confines of an aircraft is even more of a pain in the ass than carrying in public.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx for the replies, I hope it goes smooth.  Class?  I hope I don't need no stinkin class?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thx for the replies, I hope it goes smooth.  Class?  I hope I don't need no stinkin class?

You need the class
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on if your Fed or not whether you need the class.
I've been flying armed for about 20 years now, and yeah it's a royal PITA.
What you need to do is make sure you take your official ID and pertinent paperwork, show up to the ticket counter 2 hours early and fill out the little form they give you.
Once your checked through the counter and are headed to the gate, you need to notify the TSA people at the checkpoint so they can pass you around the scanners/metal detector and get a local LEO to sign you through (and check your paperwork again).
Each airline is different, but for the most part they require you preboard and meet with the air marshall on the flight (if one) so that if the SHTF you don't shoot each other.
You'll get a little breifing that basically consist of "don't interfere unless asked".
You'll also probably have to meet the Captain of the flight, I've met some good ones and some of the liberal "why do you need a gun" type, so if you get the latter just keep your cool and yes sir your way through it.
One item I learned from personall experience is that if the plane is not a full flight, do not change seats without notifying the lead cabin attendant!
I did that once for a better seat, and they sorta freaked out when they couldn't find me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The "Law Enforcements Officers Flying Armed” course is available on-line via an FAA secured website. Your Department should already have the login info for it as it was provided to every Police Department by the FAA. Contact your Dept for the necessary info. If your Dept never received the info they can contact the FAA in the following manner:

Agencies having difficulty accessing the FAA's Law Enforcement Officers Flying Armed training package website are directed to call Phil Rose, FAA, at (202) 267-9272. Agencies with questions for the FAA may email questions to: [email protected].

Also, to add to Gunslinger808's excellent post, here are a few more things to make your trip easier:

Always arrive early (2hrs minimum)! Not every ticket agent is familiar with the procedures for LEO's flying armed. As such, there may be delays because an airline supervisor may have to be called in to process your paperwork....

If you're flight will have multiple connections, be sure to have enough copies of the airline's "flying armed" form to give to each ticket/gate agent and pilot on every connecting flight.....

FAA regulations require that you carry your weapon on your person. Putting your weapon in your carry-on baggage or in the seatback is the quickest way to piss off a flight attendant or a FAM team (if they're on board). I know it sounds obvious, but you'll be surprised how often firearms are found by cleaning crews in the seatbacks....

Don't forget it is your responsibility to ask if there are other armed LEO's on board your flight. It would be in your best interests to have a quick 'face to face' with any other LEOs in case the preverbal crap hits the fan as you wouldn’t want to shoot each other.....

If you are denied boarding by the airline seek out the airport "Ground Security Coordinator," he's an airline employee who’s sole function is to interface with airline crews, LEOs, and others in the areas of security.....He will be your best resource in rectifying any potential issues...If, on the other hand, the Capt denies you boarding, you're SOL as he's the final authority....

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]

I want to be on your flight!  I don't see what the problem is and why all the requirements.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Trust me, carrying concealed in the cramped confines of an aircraft is even more of a pain in the ass than carrying in public.

Indeed.  Unless you're in First Class, I highly recommend the ankle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top