Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 8:20:00 PM EDT
Hey guys!  Me and a fellow AR15 board member both work at the same armored car company, for over 3 years, now and are actively seeking new employment. Now I know the market is tough everywhere but we are looking none the less. Neither one of us has a military background and he has about 5 years LE experience and I have just 2 years of reserve LE experience. We would like to stay in the armed job community but really don't know where else to look with the exception of the LE field. I looked at Dyncorp and they require prior military experience and we are not sure about bounty hunting. Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated by not only us but I am sure other members too. Even if you have just a web site to go look at that is great too. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Question for you:

What kinds of guns and magazines are you allowed to carry on your current job?

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We are allowed to carry semi-autos as long as it has a safety and a manual decocker. The [i]company[/i]believes that glocks and 1911 types are [red]evil[/red]. The [i]company[/i] also feels that pre-ban hi-caps are evil too so we are allowed only the ten rounders; I carry three plus the one in the mag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not really sure, but in the wake of 9/11 and the following Homeland Security stuff, you would think there would have been more openings for armed security. And if not there should be! But other than LEO or military, I can't think of anything other than agencies which provide armed security that would suit you....unless being a hunting guide would interest you. Or perhaps private security.

Does anyone know if security groups beefed up their ranks after 9/11? And what level of training do most security agencies require in order to go armed? This is something I have long thought about too, not so much because I want to work in the field, just out of curiosity.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with you CH, I would have thought that the security industry would have boomed after September 11th. I am not any kind of hunter so a hunting guide would be a bad job for me. Private security is the only thing I can come up with; mabye executive protection or mabye K&R. Just looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know where you live in WA but Snohomish county corrections is hiring C/O's. Transport officers must be gun qualified.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Most companies don't really give two shits about security, thats what I've learned in my time working this field. I could give you twenty examples of it at least, but if i did i'd violate the confidentiality agreement i had to sign and thus could lose me job. But Some of the biggest reasons why i say this. One they don't listen to what you tell them about potential areas of concern until the potential concern becomes a fullblown problem or worse. Two. Most security companies get their jobs based on bids, lowest bidder you get the job but the pay won't be that good so you don't always get the quality people, and when you do you can't afford to keep them around long enough(like no rases in two years, that type of thing). Three most companies don't want to put out the money needed so that their security depts can actually have the right tools or resources to do a job. I actually got called into my bosses office to get chewed out because somthing went missing. The thing was that two days(a thursday) before it went missing(a Sat.), I had asked premission to close a gate to force all weekend traffic past my location so i would know who was comming and goin into the facility, I was denied that permission. And it was that sat. that the item went missing. The reason i was denied premission- because it was hard enough to get people to use the right entrances durring the week and letting them use an enterance on the weekend that they are not allowed to use durring the week would lead to to many problems.- I actually flat out told my boss to go to hell when she said I was being writen up because i should ahve know who was comming in and out of the facility. However it's approx 500yds from my location to the other enterance. Since 9-11 we've actually had our budget cut and lost half the guards we had. The security companies are just as effected by the economy being on vacation as any company. But more or less it's that most companies could give two shits, we are however blamed when things do go wrong, even the things that are way beyond our control. But thats life.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Nearly all federal agencies use private contract security outfits, but the feds set the pay scale, and it's usually 20-30% higher than what the non fed security jobs in the area are paying.

You might consider dropping by some of the agencies in your area, like social Security, Internal Revenue, and such, and noting the company names on the uniforms. Then call the companies and see if they're hiring.

Just finished six years at CDC here in Atlanta, working under two different contractors, and it wasn't bad duty at all. Pay scale, at least in this area, was recently raised to over $15 an hour, which is about $4-$5 more than armored car people make around here. Suspect that it would be higher on the West Coast b/c of higher cost of living.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are allowed to carry semi-autos as long as it has a safety and a manual decocker. The [i]company[/i]believes that glocks and 1911 types are [red]evil[/red]. The [i]company[/i] also feels that pre-ban hi-caps are evil too so we are allowed only the ten rounders; I carry three plus the one in the mag.
View Quote

So does Dianne Feinstein.

Thanks for the reply.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Border Patrol is always looking.
Ain't nuthin better than a GS-9 lifestyle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Loomis Fargo Sucks don't they[;)].

Try the competition. Much better company.

[url=http://www.brinksinc.com/employment.html][url]http://www.brinksinc.com/images/homeshield.gif[/url][/url]
View Quote

No idea of what you are talking about [;)]

Besides Brinks in my area has a lousy rep. Low pay, low hiring standards, and poor cust. service.

Gunslinger, I tested with the BP about 2 years ago and failed the test miserably; any tips?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#12]
You might get a job doing executive protection/bodyguarding, if you can make the cut. There is a section over at [url]www.tacticalforums.com[/url] where you might be able to find some of the answers to your questions. But, that place is a high-speed, low-drag kind of forum, so do a search before asking. Your answers may already be in the waiting in previous threads. Good luck!

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the help CH. Anyone know anything about companies or the profession of K & R? Or even security jobs overseas?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yankeefan,
I bump into these guys from time to time in my line of work.  Seems to be a top notch agency.  Some day I may hafta try that private sector thing.  The owner is a well known author and security expert.  For some reason "lowest bidder" doesn't come to mind.
Check out the opportunity at:
http://www.gavindebecker.com/application/index.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top