Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:55:13 PM EDT
I was in the Social Security Office filing papers for my son.  I had no idea I couldn't carry in the office.  They have an armed federal agent in the Pendleton office now full time.  He patted me down and I had to show him my ID for my 1911.  He carried my pistol out to my car and locked it in my trunk for me and gave me a warning for having a firearm in a federal office [evidently I can't carry in our post office either?]

Anyway, he said that was the most excitement he's had this year.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't let the serfs defend themselves.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
that's pendleton for you

ETA:  It's a bit of topic, but I'd like to point out that Pendleton/Milton-Freewater/Athena-Weston really isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
is there armed gaurds at all SS offices now?  That has to cost Uncle Sam bookoo bucks.

Patty

*ETA* That's right, they're pretty low crime in fact if it wasn't for the Indian reservation the crime rate would be very very low.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought that you've never been able to carry in government buildings?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is there armed gaurds at all SS offices now?  That has to cost Uncle Sam bookoo bucks.

Patty

*ETA* That's right, they're pretty low crime in fact if it wasn't for the Indian reservation the crime rate would be very very low.

he was probably a local postal inspector(technically a armed federal agent) or something.

ETA: yeah, and you're close enough to get spill over from that, next worse thing is the meth labs, but that's not *near* as bad as it used to be.  Then there was that brief spurt of gang trouble MF had, but they nipped that in the bud.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought that you've never been able to carry in government buildings?

Could be right.  I honestly don't know.  Its posted in our court house.  Its not in our post office.  It wasn't in the SS office.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did he know to pay you down in the first place?  Metal Detectors, many federal facilities have them now?

Yes there was a metal detector that went off.  He was very nice and actually could have given me a pretty hefty fine and taken my weapon so I was very happy with the outcome.

He is a federal marshal.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

he was probably a local postal inspector(technically a armed federal agent) or something.

Umm...... Why exactly would a Postal Inspector be working at a Social Security Administration office ??  

And Patty, as BS as this is going to sound,  You should probably know where you're not allowed to carry, if you're going to carry.  Been no carry in federal buildings for a long time. And yeah, that includes your local post office...  Save you some hassles and aggravation, at the very least.

Personally, I think it's retarded....  Like I'm going to go to a friggen post office if I decide to flip out    idiots.......

Where they come up with these stupid ass laws, I'll just never know....

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree.  It was very irresponsible of me.  I 'kind of' knew about the post office but in my neck of the woods - idiot laws don't get enforced.  I doubt with Oregon's preemption law that a state building would be able to enforce a law limiting my right to carry but I'm not as sure with a federal building.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Court houses are off limits too
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes but here anyway [or at least in Pendleton] no armed gaurds or metal detectors to seek you out.  I went to the court house before the SS office and went to several agencies with in the court house with no problems what so ever.  In fact with out knowing otherwise you would have thought I was a normal law abiding citizen!  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He patted me down...

That's odd. If the buzzer goes off when I pass through, they usually just tell me to put my metal objects in the tray.

Could it be that he just wanted to....nah, couldn't be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He patted me down...

That's odd. If the buzzer goes off when I pass through, they usually just tell me to put my metal objects in the tray.

Could it be that he just wanted to....nah, couldn't be.

Its been a slow year for him.  I'm glad to have given him his one cheap thrill! Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but here anyway [or at least in Pendleton] no armed gaurds or metal detectors to seek you out.  I went to the court house before the SS office and went to several agencies with in the court house with no problems what so ever.  In fact with out knowing otherwise you would have thought I was a normal law abiding citizen!  

Patty

the armed guards and metal detectors are on the 2nd floor, just before you go into the court room, you can carry inside the court house, just not the court room.  If you go up there, you might notice the armed guards, all of which are sherrifs deptuties, that anyone over the age of 35 carries a 1911, anyone younger has a Glock 22.  I noticed that when I was on Jury Duty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't go into the court rooms, just the offices.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Pat downs?  So where does the line start to pat Patty down?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I had to get a new SS card last year, new employer and I had lost mine. There was an armed guard in our SS building. I don't know if he was a rent a cop or not. I'm talking about a small midwest town of 20,000. What a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Once more a womans good looks get her out of another jam....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had to get a new SS card last year, new employer and I had lost mine. There was an armed guard in our SS building. I don't know if he was a rent a cop or not. I'm talking about a small midwest town of 20,000. What a waste of money.

That mindset is going to fuck our country.  Some asshole here was against the local PD accepting a grant for 90% of the cost of a 35,000 dollar hostage negotiation video phone.  And I live in Jonesboro, AR.  IE; The PLACE WHERE THE WEST SIDE SHOOTING HAPPENED. thinking nothing can happen because you live in a small town is stupidity at it's finest.  Terrorists use that mentality to exploit holes in our security to get things that help them with their cause.  But be my guest,  keep your head in the sand.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Once more a womans good looks get her out of another jam....

It's not just the women. I get out of tickets and trouble with the man all the time.

Just cry and offer a hummer, those tickets get torn right up.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That mindset is going to fuck our country.  Some asshole here was against the local PD accepting a grant for 90% of the cost of a 35,000 dollar hostage negotiation video phone.  And I live in Jonesboro, AR.  IE; The PLACE WHERE THE WEST SIDE SHOOTING HAPPENED. thinking nothing can happen because you live in a small town is stupidity at it's finest.  Terrorists use that mentality to exploit holes in our security to get things that help them with their cause.  But be my guest,  keep your head in the sand.

Oh for fuck's sake! I would feel much safer being able to ccw in our local SS building, rather than trusting some rent a cop that never shot his gun. I suppose you would feel safer if there was an armed guard asking for your papers on every street corner. I don't walk around every day terrified of my own shadow. I know the SS building in our town is a high priority target and an armed guard walking around inside is going to stop the terrorist from flying a plane into it.

Grab your balls, go eat a steak and be a man.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh for fuck's sake! I would feel much safer being able to ccw in our local SS building, rather than trusting some rent a cop that never shot his gun. I suppose you would feel safer if there was an armed guard asking for your papers on every street corner. I don't walk around every day terrified of my own shadow. I know the SS building in our town is a high priority target and an armed guard walking around inside is going to stop the terrorist from flying a plane into it.

As long as your advocating not spending money on security, then you have no right to be angry or upset when things like 9/11 happen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#24]
That would be front page news in my neck of the woods. I'm glad it's not like that everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as your advocating not spending money on security, then you have no right to be angry or upset when things like 9/11 happen.

Spend it where it will do the most good. We don't need a rent a cop in every SS building in america. Our fire department got a WMD grant, they bought a polaris ranger. I feel safer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spend it where it will do the most good. We don't need a rent a cop in every SS building in america. Our fire department got a WMD grant, they bought a polaris ranger. I feel safer.

If my FD had bought a 4wheeler with ours, we would have been prosecuted for misuse of funds.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#27]

WTF?  I don't care how many rent-a-cops you stuffed inside the twin towers, it still would have happened.  And I'm pretty sure that if you stuffed a publc office in some small town in the middle of nowhere FULL of security guards, bad things are still gonna happen somewhere in the world.  And I have no right to be angry?  Fuck that.  I'll be angry all I god damned want to!  It has NOTHING to do with not enough security.  Its because there are people in this world so lacking in humanity that they think that killing Americans is a valid way of making a point.  

My advice for you?  Stop worrying about the rest of us, we're doing fine.  Worry about yourself.  Go hide under your bed and don't come out until we tell you the world is perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#28]
If i'm not mistaken, carrying in post offices is legal.

Something about not being able to carry, unless engaged in hunting or another lawful activity. CCW with a permit is lawful, unless otherwise restricted by state law.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Armed guards in the Medford, OR offices too. You got lucky with a warning! Wow.

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

WTF?  I don't care how many rent-a-cops you stuffed inside the twin towers, it still would have happened.  And I'm pretty sure that if you stuffed a publc office in some small town in the middle of nowhere FULL of security guards, bad things are still gonna happen somewhere in the world.  And I have no right to be angry?  Fuck that.  I'll be angry all I god damned want to!  It has NOTHING to do with not enough security.  Its because there are people in this world so lacking in humanity that they think that killing Americans is a valid way of making a point.  

My advice for you?  Stop worrying about the rest of us, we're doing fine.  Worry about yourself.  Go hide under your bed and don't come out until we tell you the world is perfectly safe.

I don't recall asking for your advice.  I do fine on my own.  Your rant only served to show that your incapable of emotional control  and you want me to take your advice.  THATS funny.  As long as we are offering advice though. Let me say.  A rent a cop, and the guards at SS offices are not rent a cops, is still some security.  and some security is better than none.  Terrorist have the advantage over us in that they can wait and wait while we spend millions on security.  They can wait till we feel safe enough, or stupid enough to lift that security.  Then they can hit us.  It's assinine, childish, and just plain outright fucking stupid to advocate less security and making yourself more open.  Why don't you just put out a red carpet that says "blow me the fuck up"  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 He patted me down ..........
Anyway, he said that was the most excitement he's had this year.

Patty

Well, it's a dirty job, but I guess some lucky sucker has to do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:44:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
patty there are signs everywhere.

as for the post office, that's the area behind the counter. I know I know they put the sign on the door leading into the customer area but it's pure smoke.

www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

did I ever tell you about the time I didn't know they had magnetometers at the entrance to MEPS? yeah that was interesting.

No metal detector at the PDX Meps either that or I got one uber tactical 1911

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't necessarily agree with this statement.  After all the security officer in my SS office down right complained that his job was boring and bragged he read all day.  The town he's securing is less than 12K and lets face it, what's he protecting?  Is there money in a SS office?  Most likely he's protecting a bunch of mass produced pieces of paper.

When you have borders over ran with illegals, gangs beating to death people in urban cities, airports laying off security check people [in Portland International they're laying off 1/3 of their security officers] an armed federal marshal in the Pendleton SS office sounds rather stupid to me.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
patty there are signs everywhere.

as for the post office, that's the area behind the counter. I know I know they put the sign on the door leading into the customer area but it's pure smoke.

www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

did I ever tell you about the time I didn't know they had magnetometers at the entrance to MEPS? yeah that was interesting.

I didn't see any signs in Pendleton.  That's good info for Post Offices because my 1911 is pretty much standard wear with me.

You're right though, it was irresponsible and I did get lucky only receiving a warning.

I didn't ask if I could carry my gun, he packed it out and I was sweating bullets and trying to be as charming as possible as not to get into trouble!

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#37]
What I'm saying is this, we need more security all around.  Taking away any security is stupid, and we need to spend more on installing more security at places all over the country.  They will exploit any and all openings we have.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What I'm saying is this, we need more security all around.  Taking away any security is stupid, and we need to spend more on installing more security at places all over the country.  They will exploit any and all openings we have.  

Its asinine to put forth the false pretense that the Government is capable of protecting us.  Having more security officers, particularly in small rural areas is not only a waste of resources but it embeds the doctrine that its Government's responsibility to protect us from ourselves.

We would be much better served taking the same resources and educating people on self defense and home defense.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its asinine to put forth the false pretense that the Government is capable of protecting us.  Having more security officers, particularly in small rural areas is not only a waste of resources but it embeds the doctrine that its Government's responsibility to protect us from ourselves.

We would be much better served taking the same resources and educating people on self defense and home defense.

Patty

Your right, we would be, but it won't happen.  I'm talking about things that are a tad more likely to happen.  And as far as it being a waste, an opening in security is an opening in security.  I know as well as you do that they government won't protect us.  But maybe, just maybe, the one little federal agent at a piss ass town's SS office will spot something, or someone and make a big bust.  It's happened before.  The main problem is keeping them looking for the real threats to the country and not us.  The more I talk about this, the more I see that if it did happen like I had at first advocated, the more threatened we would be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#40]
More likely rent a cops and bored marshals will be looking for problems that truly do not exist and infringing upon the rights of law abiding, good Americans.  After all, did I really do anything wrong yesterday?  Would our forefathers who fought in the revolution think so?  

I sincerely doubt any good will come from this.  I can only see further infringements on our rights to privacy and self protection.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, I think your right about that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yeah, I think your right about that.

we have this with over zealous LEO's around here too.  Government is the biggest employeer in my area.  What product does Government produce to self sustain?  Answer?    More Government.  Jefferson predicted it but no one listened.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If i'm not mistaken, carrying in post offices is legal.

Something about not being able to carry, unless engaged in hunting or another lawful activity. CCW with a permit is lawful, unless otherwise restricted by state law.

That's my understanding, too.  Here in Texas, unless it is a prohibited place or I see a 30.06 no trespassing sign, I'm bringing the hog-leg with me.  The post offices here do not display a 30.06 sign and they are not listed as a prohibited place in the Texas Penal Code.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#44]
What's a 30.06 sign?  Just coincidental that its a caliber of rifle?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Its been a slow year for him. I'm glad to have given him his one cheap thrill!  Patty

How old was the guy?  I think he might have been talking about the 'pat down'  -- Not the hardware!

On the other topic;  Throwing money at 'Security'...

-  We HAD security procedures in place at Logan International on 9/11!   They had been trained not to 'profile' passengers.  

-  We HAD intelligence agencies who had flagged the hijackers' cell --  Doing anything about the problem was effectively  prohibited by the Clintonista's @ DOD and Justice !  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
patty the one here in my town is armed sanford,nc he is carrying a revolver a .38 or .357 can not remember which one.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Its been a slow year for him. I'm glad to have given him his one cheap thrill!  Patty

How old was the guy?  I think he might have been talking about the 'pat down'  -- Not the hardware!

On the other topic;  Throwing money at 'Security'...

-  We HAD security procedures in place at Logan International on 9/11!   They had been trained not to 'profile' passengers.  

-  We HAD intelligence agencies who had flagged the hijackers' cell --  Doing anything about the problem was effectively  prohibited by the Clintonista's @ DOD and Justice !  

He was actually very professional and I would say about 30.

Patty

*ETA* mine was carrying a 1911
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#50]
reason for the armed guard at the ss office is to keep mexicans from stealing the box of ss cards

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top