Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 11:24:39 AM EDT
After smoking a couple of dummy rounds and handloading them in the chamber, I found the problem.  Both had very minor scratches all around the case, but also a deep scratch about 1-1/4 inches beginning just forward of the extractor groove.  More polishing to remove the burr, back to the range and 100 malfunction-free rounds later, no more problem.  I've very pleased with the accuracy.  Open sights at 50 meters I was able to hold sub MOA off the bench and about three-four inches off-hand.  That's pretty good for me.

Thanks for all the input on my other threads.

On a sad note, ArmaLite stopped responding to my emails.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear you fixed it. I about fell over when I read those comments from that "ArmaLite"
character. Don't know if that's somebody working for the company, or he just publicly insults ArmaLite customers for a hobby. Maybe auditioning for a position at RGuns?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I about fell over when I read those comments from that "ArmaLite"
character.
View Quote

Got a link to that thread?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18970#lastPost[/url]

You know, that response bothered me more than the problem with the rifle.  My dealer was highly ticked when I showed him the post.  I've never had anyone from a firearm company respond in such a fashion.  Car dealerships, yes, but not the firearms community.  Oh, well.  One bad apple...

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=18970#lastPost[/url]

You know, that response bothered me more than the problem with the rifle.  My dealer was highly ticked when I showed him the post.  I've never had anyone from a firearm company respond in such a fashion.  Car dealerships, yes, but not the firearms community.  Oh, well.  One bad apple...

Eddie
View Quote
First,I'm glad to hear you got your rifle squared away.But......I sort of got the impression that you were putting ArmaLite on the defensive.You had a problem with a BRAND NEW rifle right out of the gate, rifle comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY:Solution=Call ArmaLite on the phone and make arrangements to send it back-ASAP.I wouldn't rely on getting quick replies via email from any company.I am not trying to defend anyone,but in my opinion ArmaLite's customer service is second to none.Now apparently you know what you're doing as far as repairing your own weapons.Imagine how much warranty work they must get from people that DON'T know what they're doing (envision someone performing "surgery" on his AR-10T with a drill,a dremel tool,ice picks,jackhammer,and a can opener),that REALLY F**KS THINGS UP,and then sends the bag of parts in to ArmaLite and says "Here,fix this......it's under warranty!".I don't know why your dealer would be upset about anything posted on a message board on the 'net.If you purchased your ArmaLite through him,he also made money off of you and should have sent the rifle RIGHT BACK TO ARMALITE-IMMEDIATELY.I don't think you'll find many people that will tell you NOT to send something you paid premium for back to the company that built it or the dealer that sold it to you when it doesn't work right.You made the decision to fix it yourself,luckily it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite's OK in my book.  My AR10 wouldn't eat milsurp ammo, sent it back to the factory, had it back in about two weeks, it's worked flawlessly since then.  I wasn't happy about extraction problems on a $1300 or so rifle, but they made it right quickly and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products again.

Now if they could only do something about those mag prices . . .
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Call ArmaLite on the phone and make arrangements to send it back-ASAP. I wouldn't rely on getting quick replies via email from any company.
View Quote

I emailed them as soon as I returned from the range (Friday afternoon).  They answered me Monday morning.  After the exchange with the "employee" from ArmaLite (who indicated they wouldn't warranty it since I polished the chamber), I emailed them again and asked, in essence, if I would be wasting my time returning the rifle.  No response.  I've emailed other firearm manufacturers and have always received prompt responses.

I am not trying to defend anyone,but in my opinion ArmaLite's customer service is second to none.
View Quote

I have no reason to doubt that.  As I said, "One bad apple..."

Now apparently you know what you're doing as far as repairing your own weapons.
View Quote

I don't consider myself a gunsmith, however, what I did was nothing more than "clean-up" the chamber.  I know what I'm capable of, but more importantly, I know my limitations.

Imagine how much warranty work they must get from people that DON'T know what they're doing
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.  That said, I would think someone representing ArmaLite would use a more tactful approach.

I don't know why your dealer would be upset about anything posted on a message board on the 'net.If you purchased your ArmaLite through him,he also made money off of you and should have sent the rifle RIGHT BACK TO ARMALITE-IMMEDIATELY.
View Quote

Probably because he was concerned that I may choose a product other than ArmaLite next time.  Also, he was prepared to return the rifle at my request.

My goal was to have my rifle function properly as soon as possible.  Had it been anything more complex it would be on its way back as I type.  It's like having your car stop running: check the fuel gauge before calling the tow truck.  

This experience hasn't soured me on ArmaLite at all.  I'll be looking at a flattop in the near future and if the A2 continues to function as well as it did today, I'll probably buy an A4.

Shoot str8,

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
LS1EDDIE,

I guess in a sense you may have been "asking for it" by doing what you did and saying what you said. But there is no way that they should have "gave it to you" like that, especially in this public forum.

I too would look to fix problems myself, rather than endure the frustration of waiting for what I should already have. But, if I had the money, I'd also still consider buying an ArmaLite rifle. I got nice parts from Eagle Arms before, figure ArmaLite is about as good as anyone else, and would sure like to see that historic name on the side of something I owned. If I had the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top