Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 5:16:47 PM EST
Well, today there were two kinds of people. Those lucky enough to live in Arizona and attend the AR15.Com shoot in Casa Grande, and those (ahem) not so fortunate. [>(] First of all, the event was flawless in exectution primarily due to the people that arranged everything for us. Kudos to Steve, AZ Redneck, AZEX (Derek), and the Cav Arms crew. If I left anyone out, sorry. This group arranged the range, ran the line, and provided portajohns. My understanding is that we were lucky two were delivered as one was unusable after one of the aforementioned cristened it. [0j] Well, for those of you slogging through the crap on the east coast, the weather here was a balmy 75 degrees around noon with sunny clear skies. This is important when one is trying to follow the trajectory of a bowling ball launched from it's cannon at about 500 feet per second. [img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=jimmybcool&album_id=59083&image_id=53&courtesy=1[/img] Amazing the hang time they can get with one of those. I think the only longer handtime I have witnessed is a Ray Guy punt, or my putter after three jacking from 10 feet. The turnout was incredible today. I am guessing around 100 people were there in a carnival like atmosphere with cookouts and shooting all day. The number of Class 3 machine guns was impressive with something like 30-50 full auto babies including many tripod mount MGs, Mac 10s, H&Ks, M16, and the like. [img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=jimmybcool&album_id=59083&image_id=51&courtesy=1[/img] Please note that due to respect for privacy, and since I didn't ask, no photos of people are included in this report. Perhaps others who DID ask will provide some photos of shooters in action. In closing, from me, thanks to all who made this a special day. Maybe we can do it again sometime, although it might be difficult to retain the special mesh of the right people and the right day that was achieved.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:36:05 PM EST
AZ does rule my man--as much as I love the Ozarks, I'm definately going to have to apply for a grad school in Arizona--Sonoran or Chihuahuan desert, alpine forests--I don't care--I'm gonna explore that state soon.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:43:17 PM EST
The whole thing went smooth as glass and when the cleanup was finished, it looked like we were never there. That's the most fun my wife and I have had shooting in a long time! I'm definitely going to the next one.[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:25:42 PM EST
coyote, I was also impressed by the high standard of safety displayed by everyone there. Could only have been better if I could have stayed a bit longer. But, previous commitments forced me to leave at around 2. Did they every fly that remote control plane and shoot it down?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:40:27 PM EST
It was a blast! There must of been more Class III than semi-auto. And the bowling ball was great. I knew a nitrogen bottle had a real purpose. Can't wait till April's shoot. It's nice to have a quartly shoot like these. And between my Christmas Day, New Years Day, and today shoots. I have a shit load of brass to clean and reload. See everyone in April!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:55:23 PM EST
Dittos on JBC's comments about the running of the event: Incredibily well organized, and not a single drop of blood: My first aid pack and CPR masks are good for another day. Dittos on thanks to Steve, AZ Redneck, Gadsen, Shawn and Russell. Thanks to everyone for making it a safe day. Thanks to JBC for letting me play with a few of his toys, and thanks to the Cav Arms guys for letting me help trash the gas tube on one of their CAV15's with my C-Mag. The post game clean-up was very impressive. The bowling ball cannon and the tannerite ROCKED !!!! Good to see both old and new faces. This had to be one of the best opportunities for one to put faces with names: It seemed that just about everyone was there. BTW, I fear no camera, so post away. Jay
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:23:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 8:01:46 PM EST by Az_Redneck]
I am really happy I went. I caught a cold and almost didn't go. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Carbine10 (you better have ALL that brass loaded up by next shoot!) and aztrooper are super guys to shoot next to. And, I was suprised aztrooper wasn't your typical stuck-up cop [peep] ..We need more like him out there. (good save huh?..lol) I met a lot of great people. The ones I met were all too eager to let you shoot their toys. Some only came just so people could shoot their toys. Very unselfish act. You know who you are.. Thanks again [hail2] jimmybcool, thanks for the kudo's but, I really didn't do anything. All credit goes to the other guys you mentioned. I just made a phone call..No big deal.. They're the ones who made it a great day. I just provided a place to sit (I said "sit"..) Thanks again to all who were there. As gunowners, we need ALL gunowners to feel the comradery and patriotism that was out there today. If they did, we would be able to speak in one voice and not let the politicians take away our freedoms like they have. And Derek, I don't know about you and those bunny slippers bro. I guess if someone carries the hardware that you do, they don't have a hell of a lot to say about them huh? Oh, and it was all Dan's fault you woke up this morning. You know those DMG folks... [booze] [;)] Tannerite ROCKS! Literally! Did you hear the car alarms go off when that stuff blew? lol..Thanks to the person(s) who provided it. AWESOME stuff! [headbang] And to the bowling ball dude, you REALLY need to let people know when you shoot that sucker off..My ears are still ringing..lol (Cool toy. Thanks for sharing) TomW, THANKS a million for the LULA! It's the best thing since sliced bread! If you AR15/M16 shooters don't have one, GET ONE! Let TomW know you want one and he'll hook you up. Best $20 you'll ever spend... We need to hook Steve up with an AR....Any donations? No dipping into the porta-potty fund! [toilet] Anyway, thanks again to EVERYONE for a BLAST (pun intended) of a day. I had a hell of a time. C'mon April! (edited because there are more funny animated smileys)
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:30:21 PM EST
Great time. Echo to all that has been said. A special thanks to the group who found my lost items and was there when i got back from Tucson. P.S. I hope that lucky bullet never has to be used.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:05:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 10:06:03 PM EST by Winston_Wolf]
... Yes sir-ree !!! ... Man, you guys are the greatest! Too bad I could only stay a couple hours, I wished I could have arrived earlier and stayed later but, well, you know. I can't believe I only brought three guns! I have a few pix I'll post later. ... I'll hone in on the deli for a larger selection of sodas, and BBQ grillings next time. [size=3][b]... Which by the way brings on the next point; Northern AZ: Spring or early summer weekend shoot sound OK?[/size=3][/b]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:20:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 10:20:33 PM EST by TREETOP]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:09:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: [size=3][b]... Which by the way brings on the next point; Northern AZ: Spring or early summer weekend shoot sound OK?[/size=3][/b]
View Quote
Dead of winter! for toughening up the members, of course!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:27:26 AM EST
Is there a thread started yet for the April shoot? Same location? My wife really enjoyed the bowling ball mortar, she can't stop talking about it. Who would have thought how much fun a 1/2 pound of black powder and a bowling ball could be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:12:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 8:14:42 AM EST by Biggame223]
Definate Hats off to the organizers, thanks! It was a pleasure to meet the members that I did Wish I had some picture taking skills and not justa camera, you can at least see some of the stuff that was on hand. Biggame223 Out [img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Biggame223/Dscf0002.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Biggame223/Dscf0008.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:54:59 AM EST
Once again, an OUTSTANDING time! Weather couldn't have been better and the company was great. Probably should have had more than one spatula for the grills, though! [:D] AZRedneck, you get enough $$ to cover the cost of the Portajohns? Winston: I recommend the Flagstaff shoot for July. April in Casa Grande should be beautiful too, and that's a great range. And I'll be bringing more steel to shoot. Those targets worked great! Maybe we'll see what a .50 can do to one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:00:45 AM EST
kbaker I forgot to mention - thanks for the steel man. That triangle was perfect. And I think if we limit it to 308 and below it might be indestructable. I doubt it will stand up to the big 50s though. James
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:40:23 AM EST
Any Idea WHERE the Northern AZ shoot will be, and WHEN?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:42:45 AM EST
I don't know what that "Steel Dorito" was made of, but it looked like we were hitting it with .22 rimfire. That was some tuff [s]shit[/s] stuff!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:28:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 12:34:58 PM EST by Carbine10]
AZ-Redneck, Thank you for the grill and taking our flying brass. As for the brass I picked up. It's all been seperated and half of it has been cleaned. 3:15pm AZ. time. Should have it all trimmed and ready to load by next weekend. Markm, I also want to thank you for the brass you gave me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:40:30 PM EST
Had a great time, once again everyone was very safe, as far as I know we didn't have any problems all day long. This shoot was definently more organized than October's and I think it went a lot smoother. Thanks to Az_Redneck again for getting the porta pottys for us. Also thanks to Gadsen for helping keep everything organized for the day and putting on the saftey meetings. Special thanks to the DMG for letting me shoot their toys and for bringing the tannerite. And for feeding me lunch too, thanks guys! It was nice to get to meet everyone and put some faces to the names. I think the name tags was a good idea and we need to do that in April. I'm going to call Casa Grande Parks and Rec on Monday and see about reserving the range for April. It'll be a Saturday again, probably the 5th or 12th. As soon as I get the reservation I'll post it on the Meeting and Events board. I can't wait to do it again!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:03:38 PM EST
I missed the shoot ... but was there in spirit! Good to read from other posts that it went off so well. It was my wife's birthday Saturday and, although I tried to talk her into it (you know ... unique, memorable birthday experience, etc.) she wouldn't have it. I suppose that some sacrifices are necessary; I'm glad that there will be another event upcoming. April isn't that far off!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:23:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 3:35:57 PM EST by nfa-user]
I liked Winston's 50 BMG bolt gun, and how he shot standing as if it was a 338WinMag. [hail2] The little Mac that could, ran without a problem, I think jimmybcool is hooked on getting one now (I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can find one for ya). Other then that, it ran fairly smooth. The bowling ball morter was way cool. The guy that brought it said that he was only using half the normal charge. [shock] Az_Redneck, you get those parts put on your G21 yet??
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:02:04 PM EST
KBaker - Yep..got enough to cover. The rest went to Parks and Recreation. If you want to contribute, send it to Gadsen and he'll see it gets a good home. nfa-user - Got one on..I couldn't get that FRIGGIN spring aside with the tools I have to knock out the mag release. I REALLY appreciate you bringing the site tool. I just wish I could have been able to use it. I'm kicking myself for not bringing a standing target..Next time for sure...Thanks again for the parts and your help...
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:29:58 PM EST
WOW!!!!!! What a great time!!!!! Though I also posted this on the original thread I wanna give out all of my thanks again to ( but NOT limited to ) the following: AZEX and CAVARMS for being such great hosts!!!! ( AZEX: thanks again for the GREAT job on the Rem 721 moose blaster!!!! and thanks to CAVARMS for letting me use the M96...yummmy!!!!!) AZREDNECK...it was great to shoot with you guys and thanks sooooooo much for the porta john's...my bladder bows to you in worship!!!!! Glad you were able to recoup+ on the porta john.... AZTROOPER...thanks for being such a cool neighboor....made for a such a great day...your AR setup really smoked with that CAVARMS setup...I will NEVER badmouth a verticle forgrip ever again...that was the icing on the cake!!!! WINSTON WOLF: dude...you ROCK!!!!!! Thanks for the trigger time on the fifty but a special thanks for the BURGER!!!!!!! You are a consumate Arizona-type gentleman and it was more than a pleasure to meet you!!!! AND.....the infamous and illustrious and always generous and fun DMGC!!!! : thank's for the great time, the teasing and the use of that ULTRA PIMPY 1928 Thompson!!!! YO YO...EAST SIDE!!!!! I also wanna pass on thaks to "bill" for being so free with that 22 cal m16/gemtech setup...my buddy, jeff is still talking about it!!!!! It was the coolest mg I have ever shot next to the super pimpy Thompson of MGD!!!! I gotta tell ya I haven't had soooo much fun in age's...cannot wait for APRIL!!!!!! Thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great, great day!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:55:09 PM EST
Steve, on behalf of the DMGers, we had a great time too and looking forward to April shoot. Hate to admit this in front of everyone (this seemed to be a highlight of the past year for some of them), but the DMGers do this every week or two... only difference is we like to pile things on top of the tannerite (bathtubs, etc). Didn't use even half the tannerite we brought but will bring even more next time. Thanks to you and the other coordinators once again for a great time. Was expecting it to be colder for the tamales and chili, will have to put more thought into our menu for next shoot. DoubleG
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:57:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By nfa-user: The little Mac that could, ran without a problem, I think jimmybcool is hooked on getting one now (I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can find one for ya).
View Quote
Ya know, I blamed this on you to my wife. I expect I will have a Mac ordered by morning. I found a net provider that sells Mac 11s with the sten conversion. I gotta feeling since I am leaving the country on Tuesday for 2 months that I am gonna order one by morning so it's here to start the paperwork in March. So, if you meet a short dark haired woman that starts hitting you and swearing in french (or creole) it is my wife. Don't sweat it. She can't hit hard enough to raise a bruise though. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:48:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:54:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 8:29:58 PM EST by aztrooper]
What a FANTASTIC SHOOT!!!![:D][:D][:D] Thanks to all the organizers, Steve, Paul, and Derek. Made it a safe and fun day. Thanks to my great neighbors that allowed me to fully experience the true meaning of the word suppressor. And thanks to CavArms, without whos lower I would never be able to apreciate my upper in FULL AUTO. Saving for class III begins now! I took a few pictures. Please help me identify everyone. I met so many names and faces, and I am bad with names. I am posting a link to my website that has all the photos, to preserve bandwidth on this site. Here is a thread with the pics: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=532[/url] Thanks again everone, especially AZ redneck. Use of your grill and great conversation made it even better. And thanks for the compliment above.[:I] [url]http://members.cox.net/ahaywood5785/webcam/ar15shoot2003.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:56:50 PM EST
Drove down from Phoenix. It sure was a grand time, and the weather perfect too. Shot my Cetme until it broke, and pumped lead out of two Ar-15's hour after hour. I decided it best to keep the eyeprotection on all day as brass was flying at me and past me continually! Got to expect it at these outings. Thanks for pulling this together guys!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:51:47 PM EST
Had a fantastic time - thanks for making a foreigner feel so welcome. Only problem is... [size=5][red]my kids want their soccer ball back !![/red][/size=5] I'll have to start gathering more of their redundant toys in anticipation of an April rendevous. Thanks again for a great day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:34:40 PM EST
The shoot is on for April! [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=8&t=163325[/url] Steve
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:46:35 PM EST
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:04:11 PM EST
Whoever brought the steel "tortilla" needs to bring it again in April. The .50 barely gouged it. I will bring the .50 AP ammo next time! Great time and a big thanks to my range neighbors for letting me shoot the M16 and Mk 760. What a blast! Speaking of, I've gotta get some of that Tannerite!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:26:05 PM EST
Damm I knew that i would miss a great shoot. We had a plane's engine go south on us and it had to be airborne later that day. So guess what I had to work[furious]. But now I have time to stopck up on stuff. I HOPE to make the April shoot[<]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:00:00 PM EST
I am gonna bring my armorplate super gong for the next shoot....it is free hanging so it should ring like a churchbell [heavy] with all those guns going off!!!!!![smash] Already gonna start buying ammo for April...I would love to have my M96 by then but I gotta pay my tuition fer school[furious]...oh well
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:10:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/8/2003 4:11:02 AM EST by Winston_Wolf]
Originally Posted By FBArms: Whoever brought the steel "tortilla" needs to bring it again in April. [u]The .50 barely gouged it[/b]. I will bring the .50 AP ammo next time ...
View Quote
... What? What kind of .50? [b]I saw the plate [b]KBaker[/b] brought up close and although nothing breached the 3/8" AR plate, I assure you even .50BMG Ball would have punched clean through it at 225 yards unless it was laying way off perpendicular to trajectory. You musta missed if shooting 50BMG! [:)] ... Dang, I didn't know at the time the plate was out there or I would have shown you boys how it's done! [;D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:20:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: ... Dang, I didn't know at the time the plate was out there or I would have shown you boys how it's done! [;D]
View Quote
Yeah, that "tortilla" was pretty thick, but it wasn't mine. I've got three more 3/8" plate targets made up. These are smaller than the triangle I brought last time, and I'll be setting 'em up further out for those of us who shoot for [i]accuracy[/i] rather than [i]volume[/i].[:D] I may have to make up another small I-beam target, though. Making swiss cheese out of the last one was FUN! (I would never have believed that a 55 grain Ballistic Tip would punch through an I-beam!) Damn, that was fun. Can't wait for April!
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:37:57 AM EST
I'll be there... Ya'll want me to bring something? [toilet] I know I won't forget my burger flipper this time. (Watch, I'll forget the burgers instead..) See ya there
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:15:32 PM EST
Winston_Wolf: I was talking about the round 1 1/4" thick plate of steel that was set up to the right on the main range. I was shooting the nickle LAR Grizzly off to the right. The target was leaning back quite a bit the first couple of shots, but it still didn't penetrate even after we straightened it up... It did gouge out a 3/8" crater though with regular FMJ ammo. I will definetely try the AP ammo if the round tortilla shows up again in April!
Top Top