Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/29/2022 11:08:56 AM EDT
Non-FB link

FB link

Knowing more force was needed to pluck this 9,000lb truck out of the mud he backed up a few feet to get a better start. That turned out to be too much stress for the ball hitch when the extra tension was created by the force of the pull it ripped the drop down portion of the hitch off of the truck, sending it and the strap directly towards Ryans truck smashing through the windshield, directly where Ryan was in the Driver seat. The force was so great it ripped through the windshield and bent the steering wheel before ultimately striking Ryan in the face, ending his life.

Guys, don't yank on leveraged things. And don't yank on another car without a blanket or something similar to help direct broken parts to the ground. Poor guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
This is why you put something on the strap or cable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#2]
May he RIP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Stupid hurts and sometimes kills.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Darwin gets one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#5]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had a couple people try to get me to hook up to a ball...

No, here... take my solid D-ring hitch and stick it in your receiver, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

and you use a D-ring, soft shackle, and a rope / strap designed for kinetic recovery
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw a tow pintle get ripped off a M113.

Stupid can kill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's the pics, leverage on a big 'ol drop due to a brodozer lift to blame
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/hitch_2_jpeg-2469388.JPG
View Quote

Good Greif... This has been going around the offroad pages the last couple days but this is the first time I have seem the hitch. I thought the ball just broke off as usual. That's a shit ton of leverage... No wonder it broke.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A truck buried in the mud is way over the weight ratings of a hitch like that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good Greif... This has been going around the offroad pages the last couple days but this is the first time I have seem the hitch. I thought the ball just broke off as usual. That's a shit ton of leverage... No wonder it broke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Physics is a bitch.  They made it into a hell of a lever with tons of force.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like zero effort was made with a shovel beforehand.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy fuck

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Factor 55 just had a post about something similar happening.  Crazy stuff, time to buy some soft shackles...
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw this in person in the sand in west Palm beach,it only took out the hood and windshield  of a Chevy truck
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#21]
In before the family sues the hitch manufacturer for not having a warning sticker saying "don't use this as a recovery point or you may die".
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything about it was setup for failure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Having owned a towing business... A wrecker does wonders, and never is anyone in a vehicle being recovered. Sad. RIP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A truck buried in the mud is way over the weight ratings of a hitch like that.
View Quote

Yeah, that's a slow winch pull attempt with a couple snatch blocks.... and backwards not forwards.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Mass Damage snapping winch Cables
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#27]
We have seen people right here in these forums try and say that this practice is just fine. So silly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, whole lot of stupid.  Most people with four wheel drives have no idea what they're doing, doubly so when it comes to recovery.  It doesn't help that idiots like a certain towing channel that folks like for some reason show them hooking a rope over a ball in their early videos, never using safety equipment, etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Clearly the result of the drop hitch leverage. Seen chains break with similar deadly or near deadly results.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw a gooseneck ball snap off, and it and the strap that was attached to it went through the back glass and out the front glass and quit about 15 feet the other side of his front bumper.

Ball was fucking humming and punched a clean entry and exit. Pretty exhilarating to witness,  but not as exhilarating as the guy who was in the truck when it passed through.

There was no such thing as a kinetic recovery rope back then, just a nylon "snatch strap", cable or chain. This event was a strap.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Holy shit, going to look to see if my receiver recovery point is a solid piece but honestly it looks like even a welded onto frame recovery point could do the same. Obviously the drop hitch caused tons of leverage but still, damn!

ETA: wow seeing the pictures, yeah that is a long ass drop hitch and quite a lever, pretty easy to see how that would snap.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Snatch strap and D ring hitch check….
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't look like this is to blame here, but don't be lazy like me and leave your ball mount in the receiver all the time.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Yeah, that video pretty much proves you CAN pull from a ball hitch.

What failed in this recovery is the drop hitch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#36]
You'd need more than a blanket to stop the hitch. Damn.

Edit: Just saw the pics. Ahhh, Bronies were using their bro-height trucks with straight brim hat drop downs. Way too much leverage on the hitch.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Doesn't look like this is to blame here, but don't be lazy like me and leave your ball mount in the receiver all the time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219829/Capture2-1216530.png
View Quote

Literally every truck driver around leaves theirs in because they think it will help them in a rear end wreck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have had a couple people try to get me to hook up to a ball...

No, here... take my solid D-ring hitch and stick it in your receiver, thanks.
View Quote

Yep.

In a pinch you can just shove the loop end of the strap into the receiver and run the pin through the loop.

Also a great reminder that you should always weigh your line down too. Jackets, blankets, canvas bags filled with dirt, etc. Anything to help absorb some of the energy should the line or the attachment point give way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Non-FB link

FB link

Knowing more force was needed to pluck this 9,000lb truck out of the mud he backed up a few feet to get a better start. That turned out to be too much stress for the ball hitch when the extra tension was created by the force of the pull it ripped the drop down portion of the hitch off of the truck, sending it and the strap directly towards Ryans truck smashing through the windshield, directly where Ryan was in the Driver seat. The force was so great it ripped through the windshield and bent the steering wheel before ultimately striking Ryan in the face, ending his life.

Guys, don't yank on leveraged things. And don't yank on another car without a blanket or something similar to help direct broken parts to the ground. Poor guy.
View Quote

Words of truth.  If you have a tow strap/cable get a HF furniture blanket and throw it in your truck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like zero effort was made with a shovel beforehand.  

View Quote

Not sure about that.  There is a depression in front on the left front tire in the picture that looks filled with water.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#41]
His family was in the car to see it. Prayers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, pulling on the hitch ball is still monumentally fucking retarded even with something on the strap or cable.  The ball can break off entirely and become a missile unhindered by the strap.

If you have a bitch ball, you have a hitch PIN.  Feed the strap into the receiver and pin it.   It's not just an expedient method - it's the best method because you're introducing as few possible missiles into the setup as possible.

This is 100% pure retarded redneck "yeehaw my momma is mah sister" lazy bullshit.   We'll probably never know if someone who should have known better didn't teach this guy when he was young, or if he heard the warnings and didn't listen.   Or even if he was pressured into it by a retarded "good samaritan", as I've seen happen a number of times.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Words of truth.  If you have a tow strap/cable get a HF furniture blanket and throw it in your truck.
View Quote

I love those things...only like 2 or 3 bucks each.

I use them for cheap shooting mats, to lay on the garage floor when working on vehicles, etc.

Get the wife to stitch a couple together and leave an opening so you can fill it with dirt, rocks, etc. to add weight as needed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Holy cow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#45]
he backed up a few feet to get a better start.
View Quote
Some people don't think shock load is a thing but it is

There's more to the story than just using a drop ball hitch for a recovery point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#46]
This exact same thing happened years ago to guy in one of our neighboring fire departments - Engine got stuck in mud and when it was being pulled out, it ripped the hitch right off the other truck attempting to free it - went right through the Engine's windshield and struck and killed the driver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would stop the cable. But using a tow ball it'll just be a projectile.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#48]
This is the second hitch to get somebody killed this week. One guy was carrying it in his front yard... Ban them
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#49]
A $15 shovel, a pair of recovery boards, and 20 minutes of work would have saved this guy's life.

Quoted:

That would stop the cable. But using a tow ball it'll just be a projectile.
View Quote

You can tell people over and over and they just won't listen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We have seen people right here in these forums try and say that this practice is just fine. So silly.
View Quote

Your criticism is technically correct, but there's a spectrum here.

This:

This:

And stupid shit like this:

These are three very different things that create three very different physics problems.

There's also the question of what kind of vehicle are we pulling, and what kind of situation are we pulling it out of? Is it a 4,000 lbs Ford Ranger stuck in snow, or is it a 7,000+ lbs diesel Super Duty sucked into mud? Again, these are different scenarios with different physics problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top