Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2013 2:09:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2013 2:50:27 PM EST by Marie]
I drive a 2005 Focus 2 door hatchback (bought new). Has about 93,400 miles on it. 30 mile total daily commute, mostly freeway. Never had to do much with it, aside from tires in 2009, a fuel pump in 2008, brakes in 2009, and the usual oil changes and bug juice.

It has some issues.

I noticed summer 2012 it was starting to vibrate some at highway speeds, but I was working too much/studying for a big work-related exam, so I didn't have any time to deal with it. September 2012 someone hit my parked car in my complex lot at night, doing $4500 in damage to rear right quarter (damage stopped just short of my gas cap door) and hatch. When I got the car back, the body shop told me the motor mounts needed to be replaced. It's not been that bad, so I've just been watching it.

About two weeks ago, the engine started sounding almost like it's revving higher when I'm driving. I don't have an RPM gauge. The vibration is different, too, hard to explain.

I work in an industrial park with some rough railroad crossings. I suspect it might have done something to my suspension. When I'm backing up, it feels like my car is pulling to the right. I finally noticed very recently that when I'm going very slow it almost feels like my car is "waddling" with the right front tire not feeling like it's "round." Does that make any sense?

I'm saving up the $$$ to have it looked at. I had front brakes done three months ago. Shop highly recommended by a customer and several coworkers. I had no complaints and the price was good (one coworker was consistently charged an amount about half of what she'd been paying at her dealership). I was told rear brakes needed to be done this fall ($300, same as front brakes). Needs new tires, too.

What might I look at shelling out for motor mount replacement?

Thank you!

10/24 Update - I got an estimate on Tuesday for $1130 for motor mounts, passenger side rear wheel bearing, four new tires, front sway bars. Mechanic told me the motor mounts and wheel bearing were the most important. Those were $450 and I could afford that now. Took my car in today for motor mounts/wheel bearing.

I got one hell of a shock when I picked up my car.

I'm utterly speechless. They did all $1130 worth of work today, knowing I only had the $$ for the motor mounts/wheel bearing. Told me to pay the rest when I have it. Didn't care that would be in a month. So I've got 4 new tires and front sway bars, too. Joe, the owner, told me he can't leave stuff undone and wants his customers to be safe. Owner's son, Adam, told me that his dad Joe remembers how business was conducted with just a handshake when he moved to the US from Poland in the late 70s. Son also said 90% of their customers justify their trust in them. So I've got a car that feels like new. Wow! I'm very grateful. I might have gained a few brownie points with stories from the Polish Catholic high school I attended growing up (I'm not Polish).

If you're in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, check out J & Z Garage in Elk Grove Village. I work a couple of miles from the garage and they drive me back to the office after I take my car there in the morning. They were recommended by a customer of mine. I can't say enough good things about them.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:11:23 PM EST
Any dash lights on?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:12:20 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Any dash lights on?
View Quote

Nope. None at all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:12:29 PM EST
You obviously need new magnets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:13:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
View Quote

How's that work?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:13:53 PM EST
View Quote

Magnets?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:13:55 PM EST
Automatic or manual transmission? When was the last time you had your tires rotated and balanced? Is the tread wearing evenly across each tire? Are they properly inflated?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:14:55 PM EST
Maybe the transmission is on the way out.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:15:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By golfroot:
Automatic or manual transmission? When was the last time you had your tires rotated and balanced? Is the tread wearing evenly across each tire? Are they properly inflated?
View Quote

Automatic transmission. Tired were rotated, but not balanced, when I had one tire replaced last year due to running my car into a curb to avoid an accident with an 18 wheeler by the office. That was the left front tire.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:15:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:17:22 PM EST by Marie]
Originally Posted By VBC:

View Quote

I really don't know/can't remember. My car record keeping would probably make you guys cringe, even though I'm organized with everything else.

I'd like to keep this car at least another year. I've had it 8.5 years. I'll buy new, another Focus, since this one has served me pretty well. Can't beat the gas mileage. One tank lasts me a week.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:16:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:16:45 PM EST by kcolg30]
Maybe your engine mounts are bad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:17:17 PM EST
New tires and alignment. Get it done before winter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:17:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Marie:

I really don't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VBC:

I really don't know.

If you can find the transmission dipstick, it'll tell you if the fluid is low. You can also check the condition of the fluid. It should appear clear and pink/red. If it is brown and smells burnt, that's not good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:17:22 PM EST
Get a four wheel alignment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:17:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:18:13 PM EST by gtownwrench]
motor mounts. very common on these cars. One under the air box for the transmission, The other in front of the timing cover. Very simple to replace yourself using a jack to hold the eng/trans up while replacing one at at time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:18:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By CCW:
View Quote

I'm planning on that already.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:18:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By kcolg30:
View Quote

if they are broken really bad weird noises will occur
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:19:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:25:57 PM EST by Marie]
Originally Posted By gtownwrench:
motor mounts. very common on these cars. One under the air box for the transmission, The other in front of the timing cover. Very simple to replace yourself using a jack to hold the eng/trans up while replacing one at at time.
View Quote

As a chick who doesn't do squat on her car (I even have the auto parts store change my wiper blades for me ), me messin' with the engine ain't gonna happen! No facilities, even if I wanted to.

ETA: well, I do add bug juice...
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:20:03 PM EST

View All Quotes

And my engine will drop onto the road?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:21:21 PM EST

View All Quotes

No it hangs up on something it's not supposed too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:21:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:30:53 PM EST by APEMANWITHFERALDOG]

You may want to check your muffler bearings and your blinker fluid.

Seriously though, it sounds like youve got more than one issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:22:57 PM EST
Had a friend that had a Focus. The rear spindle on the passenger side lost the bearings and that was what he said it felt like. Akin to a fat chick wiggling her ass kinda feel. Jack up your car and see if your wheels wobble when you spin them. Push and pull on the top of your rear tires to see if there is any play.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:23:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:25:10 PM EST by Marie]
Originally Posted By APEMANWITHFERALDOG:

You may want to check your muffle bearings and your blinker fluid.

Seriously though, it sounds like youve got more than one issue.
View Quote

Heck, I'm not a gear head, and I could figure that much out.

Blinker fluid?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:25:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:25:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:26:30 PM EST by LV1976]
Tires might be starting to delaminate and bulging, this can cause the out of round feeling as well as pulling to one side, this can happen more often if you're using cheaper tires or you hit/ran over something pretty hard and damaged the tire, but you can really only see it if you get the car lifted up. it's more pronounced at slow speeds. If the motor mounts are broke the engine might move around enough where it starts to disengage the transmission, I know this happens with PT cruisers, which have a history of motor mounts breaking easily.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:28:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
Bad motor mounts will give your vehicle odd vibrations that change with speed and RPM, a slipping automatic transmission will cause your engine to rev higher than it normally does at a certain speed.

Hitting a curb hard enough to destroy a tire can cause suspension damage that can give your car a vibration. Out of balance tires can give your car a vibration.

If you have already been told about the engine mounts, then chances are they need replaced. That shouldn't be a terribly expensive repair, nor would having the tires balanced (yes it can make a huge difference and, no it isn't just a way for a tire shop to squeeze a little more money out of you). Tire balancing should be pretty cheap too.

If you got some suspension damage when you hit the curb it could get expensive depending on what was damaged.
View Quote

My tires are from Walmart. I'm planning on having the same shop do everything (brakes, tires, motor mount, tires balanced, etc.) as they do everything and are close to the office.

Okie dokie, thanks, for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:30:50 PM EST
Recommend that you take it to a couple of trusted shops and get an estimate.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:37:48 PM EST
Take a trip over to the FocusFanatics forum. www.focusfanatics.com

I drive a 2002..the lowest grade one they made. Motor mounts do go bad, especially the one on the passengers side. Since you took a shot on the right rear could be some suspension damage. Have to get it up on a lift to see.

Also, if you have the SPI engine be aware that a lot of them will drop a valve and put a hurting on the engine. Seems to happen randomly and at random mileage..mine waited until 180K.

You might not want to invest a whole lot of funds in your car.

Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:43:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 2:44:56 PM EST by Marie]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
Take a trip over to the FocusFanatics forum. www.focusfanatics.com

I drive a 2002..the lowest grade one they made. Motor mounts do go bad, especially the one on the passengers side. Since you took a shot on the right rear could be some suspension damage. Have to get it up on a lift to see.

Also, if you have the SPI engine be aware that a lot of them will drop a valve and put a hurting on the engine. Seems to happen randomly and at random mileage..mine waited until 180K.

You might not want to invest a whole lot of funds in your car.

Good luck with it.
View Quote

No, I don't have that engine. I just have the basic SE model.

ETA: I just remembered an alignment was done when my car was fixed September last year...

I'd love a new car right now, but financially don't want to do that just now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:49:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By APEMANWITHFERALDOG:

You may want to check your muffler bearings and your blinker fluid.

View Quote

This.

Also, might check your brake shoes and socks. While you're at it, have them buckle the fan belt; maybe even tighten it a couple notches.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:56:28 PM EST
My guess is a wheel bearing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:09:16 PM EST

Jack it up and drive a toyota under it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:33:12 PM EST

Automatic transmission. Tired were rotated, but not balanced, when I had one tire replaced last year due to running my car into a curb to avoid an accident with an 18 wheeler by the office. That was the left front tire.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Flyer5:
My guess is a wheel bearing.

This. No better way to fry a fwd car's wheel bearings, among other things, then run unbalanced wheels.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:56:22 PM EST
Looking at new Focus online. I'm awfully tempted...
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:02:21 PM EST
Motor mounts are cheap and since your not doing the labor yourself you shouldn't be charged more than an hours worth of labor. As already mentioned the passenger side is the one that seems to go out more than the other two.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:39:28 PM EST
View Quote

Don't do it just yet.....

You said that you have a shop you trust, so you're in better shape than most folks. Take it in there, let them check it out, and get an estimate. Run their estimate by us.

My daily driver is an 01 Tacoma 4x4. The wife told me that when we win the lottery, she's going to buy me a new truck. I told her that there's nothing wrong with mine that $1k can't fix. I'd love a new truck, but I can slap a set of Michelins on mine before winter and have a new windshield put in before the inspection is due next August all for around $1k.

The truck was paid off in 04, but I told my CU to keep taking the payment out and put it in savings. There's more than enough in there to buy a new truck, but I'm still chugging along in my old Taco.

The douchebags suggesting muffler bearings, magnets, and shit like that need a swift kick in the nuts. Don't listen to them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:41:25 PM EST

Magnets?
View All Quotes

Magnets?

Pssst, don't spread your legs.

It's not lady-like.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:46:37 PM EST
For some reason, I thought you were married...
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:18:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Danner130:

It's not lady-like.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Danner130:

Magnets?

It's not lady-like.

Sweet Jesus, absolutely not!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:20:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By kayamana:
For some reason, I thought you were married...
View Quote

Naw, I've not found anyone willing to put up with my weirdness. :P. That's OK.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:34:20 PM EST
You've got the car version of teh AIDS

This is only if your front suspension is Live and has coil springs
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:38:45 PM EST

Magnets?
View All Quotes

Magnets?

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:41:50 PM EST

You said that you have a shop you trust, so you're in better shape than most folks. Take it in there, let them check it out, and get an estimate. Run their estimate by us.

My daily driver is an 01 Tacoma 4x4. The wife told me that when we win the lottery, she's going to buy me a new truck. I told her that there's nothing wrong with mine that $1k can't fix. I'd love a new truck, but I can slap a set of Michelins on mine before winter and have a new windshield put in before the inspection is due next August all for around $1k.

The truck was paid off in 04, but I told my CU to keep taking the payment out and put it in savings. There's more than enough in there to buy a new truck, but I'm still chugging along in my old Taco.

The douchebags suggesting muffler bearings, magnets, and shit like that need a swift kick in the nuts. Don't listen to them.
View All Quotes

Yeah, some real winners here. Much help they are. Go back to your basements and cuddle up with your defective dehumidifiers.

;-)

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:05:44 PM EST
If you replace the 2 engine and 1 trans mount , The vibration will almost go away. Done many of them with the same results.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:21:04 PM EST
All that to ask what it would cost to do motor mounts in your 2005 focus?

Ask a few local mechanics, how should we know?

No RPM gauge, wtf did you buy?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:50:54 PM EST
Hey, be nice...

My Focus, a 2002, has power nothing. She has the 'SE', I've got an 'LX' which contrary to what you might think is not short for luxury.

I don't have 'an RPM thingy', PW, PL, cruise control, interval wipers, ABS, tilt wheel, etc. What I got is a Model T but it's red, not black.

Comparatively she has a Porsche 930 to my VW Bug.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:52:39 PM EST

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CCW:

You'll see an amazing difference,
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:55:30 PM EST
Tie rod ends. Control arm bushings. They wear out, especially after 93000 miles. Replace and get and alignment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:04:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2013 10:17:17 PM EST by peligro113]
View Quote

Engine has dropped a little due to broken motor mounts possibly changing engine geometry....in before engine drops on the road.

Should roughly cost $350-400 to replace all mounts

http://www.carparts.com/results/?N=0&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&PN=0+4294952878&VN=4294967116+4294963878+4294963586+4294963579+4­294967066&universal=0

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:12:18 PM EST
vibration- motor mounts

wobblng and possibly vibration on freeway- warped brake rotors or bent wheel or off balance wheel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:39:05 PM EST
Going to second on tie rods. One bad pot hole can cause a whole lot of shake. They are cheap, but the cost of replacing them and having an alignment done will add up. DO NOT just replace without an alignment, or your tires will be gone in a few weeks.

If you have someone who knows how to do them, they can count threads, and get damn close, but it is a risk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top