Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 5:48:26 AM EST by LvFreeRDie]
Is there a special name for the big round tumor like things that sometimes grow on the trunk of a tree? I always thought it was called a bole, but when I started googling that it sounds like the bole is just the main structural member of the tree.

The reason I ask is I was cutting some wood over the weekend and cut down some cherry that had one of these big round tumor like things in it. I cut it out because I thought it might be fun to carve an actual bowl out of it. After cutting away the bark and roughly squaring it up I have a about a 12x12x16 piece of cherry with some pretty gnarly grain in it that I think would look pretty cool.

Anyone else do this and have any cool pictures of your work to give me some ideas?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:21 AM EST
Have you seen "One Man's Wilderness" (featuring Dick Pronnecke, who built a log cabin single-handedly in Twin Lakes, Alaska)? He did something very similar. I always thought it was called a "bole" as well. He found one and made a nice bowl out of it. The video is shown on PBS quite frequently so you can check it out and see what he did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:48:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By stockshift:
Have you seen "One Man's Wilderness" (featuring Dick Pronnecke, who built a log cabin single-handedly in Twin Lakes, Alaska)? He did something very similar. I always thought it was called a "bole" as well. He found one and made a nice bowl out of it. The video is shown on PBS quite frequently so you can check it out and see what he did.

Yeah, I have those on DVD. Awesome series and partly what gave me the idea!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:16 AM EST
Burl
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:52:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By tjd:
Burl

This

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:53:09 AM EST
Pics? that sounds pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By tjd:
Burl

Thanks! I was scratching my head on what to google to figure it out.

"tree trunk tumor"
"tree trunk knot"
"tree trunk bole"
"round sphere like thing on a tree trunk"

Aw screw it, arfcom will know!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:20 AM EST
No idea a cherry burl would have this much interest. I'll try to take some pics of it tonight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:25 AM EST
It's actually a bacidiomycete - or type of fungi.

Trees can also grow a "scar tissue" from damage, bole weevil, blight or logging/skidder damage.
Top Top