Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 4:50:22 PM EDT
At dinner tonight my wife complained that her tongue burned when she drank her apple juice.  She showed it to me, and it has white patches on it, and appears to be swollen in several places.  It looks exactly like a friend's tongue who had "thrush" once, and if I remember correctly that's a yeast infection of some sort.  It does not, however, look like pictures of thrush on Google.  More like a large white patch (no "spots") on the center of the tongue, and certain parts look slightly elevated.  The low-lying areas look more red than normal.  Since the Dr's offices are closed, I am thinking of taking her to Urgent Care.  Am I overreacting?

UPDATE:  SEE BELOW
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

She's pregnant. Nothing else matters. Better safe than sorry.

Take her. NOW.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
C'mon man.  I can't believe you'd even ask.

+ infinity
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Christ......it's amazing how some people will just come online to this forum and post crap like this....

I'm waiting for a thread where someone's asking if they should shoot an intruder who's broken into their house
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in a hospital so urgent care is a bunch of hacks to me. I would just take her to the ER.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Take her NOW.
You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
C'mon man.  I can't believe you'd even ask.

On the internet too no less.

Don't even bother putting on a coat...just go!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Take her now, finish dinner later
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe we should have a Medical forum
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe we should have a Medical forum

Better yet, a Stupid forum.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy cowboys, it's just a tongue discoloration - she's not bleeding out.

She's in the shower now, so I thought I'd post it quickly while she was in there, just to see if it's a "no big deal" thing.  Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean everything is an emergency - what if she had an ingrown toenail?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean everything is an emergency - what if she had an ingrown toenail?

You know what an ingrown toenail is.

Do you know what a splotchy tongue is?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thrush is usually the result of a depressed immune system. Take that for what its worth.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I just shot myself in the chest, it hurts really bad and im making a mess... SHould I call 911? The maid? Or watch Desperate Housewives?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:  Took her in last night, and the doctor said she had "geographic tongue".  Dr. said it's fairly normal for a pregnant women since the immune system is somewhat depressed when a woman is pregnant.  They said it's no big deal and doesn't need to be treated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top