Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 6:36:36 PM EDT
My wife was jogging at work today and had to make an emergency drop off at the pulic park toilet.  After sitting down and doing her business she realized she had just sat down in dried blood!  

Does she have to worry about getting hep B or C or any other S**T like that?

Edit for title
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Should <fingers crossed> be fine.   AIDS dies in the air rapidly, and most bugs die when dried out and exposed to air.

Gross.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Gross.  

+1

Damn, one reason I hate public toilets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My wife was jogging at work today and had to make an emergency drop off at the pulic park toilet.  After sitting down and doing her business she realized she had just sat down in dried blood!  

Have her checked for Hep. That way you'll know if she's been exposed or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok...She sat down in dried blood?

She's not educated.

If I had a choice between crapping in public and, crapping on a nice pallet of dreid blood, I'd crap in public.

Hep B.

Hep B.

Everyone's so f'ing up in the air about AIDS.

Hep B is SO much more dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought most girls have the art of the "hover" down pat
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Chanhge the title to "ATTENTION: ARFCOM DR.'s".....
I know we have quite a few here on the board that can give you the real scoop... in this case on the poop...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have her checked for Hep. That way you'll know if she's been exposed or not.

AIDS isn't a problem.  That should be of big relief.

Welcome to the world of the REAL threat of

HEP

-Hep A

-Hep B

Yep.  I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'd check if I was you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If she starts to get pale and forgets who you are you may have to put her down.

Watch her carefully.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know we have quite a few here on the board that can give you the real scoop... in this case on the poop...

By all means....Give us "The poop".  I was only a street EMT and a medic, so, I guess I don't know anything about blood borne pathogens.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone is right. Hep is the worst fear you should have. That virus is a tough bastard and won't die in open air for a little while.
Go get tested for HEP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Let her stay with with my wife and i  for a month or so we well let you know
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Biggest Risk is Hepatitis B like Goonboss said.  if it was dried and she has no cuts on her ass she should be OK.

we're praying for her.

This should also be a lesson to her:   NEVER crap in a public toilet.  I will drive an hour out of my way to use my own commode.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

She's not educated.

If I had a choice between crapping in public and, crapping on a nice pallet of dreid blood, I'd crap in public.

Hep B.

Hep B.

+1000

Hep B can stay viable on an inert surface like a toilet seat for two weeks.  HIV dies pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
C-4 whats up with that bunny avatar?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to be forgotten,  Hep'  C

Unless she has means inwhich the blood would have entered her bloodstream, she should be fine. Closed skin is a barrier.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's not educated.

Hep B.

Hep B.

+1000

Hep B can stay viable on an inert surface like a toilet seat for two weeks.  HIV dies pretty quick.

Bunny, how could it be only you and me that know this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By all means....Give us "The poop".  I was only a street EMT and a medic, so, I guess I don't know anything about blood borne pathogens.

Hey bud...CHILL...no offense meant on my side. I was just hoping to help this guy out. Ya see....this is the internet and I didn't know you were an EMT or a medic.... I don't think my comment in ANY WAY disparaged your occupation or insulted your intelligence there buddy.  Feeling insecure today???
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not to be forgotten,  Hep'  C

Unless she has means inwhich the blood would have entered her bloodstream, she should be fine. Closed skin is a barrier.

HepC is there too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
If her skin was intact and she did a thorough wash job afterwards, she should be fine. The previous posts were right, Hepatitis is the real concern here and she could have come in contact with a live virus. The good news is that intact skin is a great barrier.
Better safe and sorry and go in and get evaluated. Hepatitis is a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
*wear gloves*

Let me just say,

1.  Bump.

2. Real info

3.  Be really scared of HIV.  No joke.

4.  But, it gets dead real quick.

5.  That dried up scab you touch?

Welcome to hep B.

Wear gloves.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Tell your wife to relax.

There is virtually no chance that ANY transmissible disease can be obtained thru intact skin contact.  HIV, Heb B, doesn't matter.  Hep B is a virus that can remain alive for a long time in body fluids, even dried blood, BUT it has to be delivered to the next person INTO their circulation, or in some rare cases thru abraded mucous membrane.  So, unless your wife has open sores on her butt, or (forgive the bluntness) has managed to actually have the vaginal mucosa come into contact with the blood on the seat, she has virtually no chance of catching any serious disease, and even if she does/did, the chances are incredibly remote.  I would go out on a limb and say zero chance, but my training prevents that, sorry, but it may as well be zero.

As a separate issue, everyone should be vaccinated against Heb B, just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Tell your wife to relax.

There is virtually no chance that ANY transmissible disease can be obtained thru intact skin contact.  HIV, Heb B, doesn't matter.  Hep B is a virus that can remain alive for a long time in body fluids, even dried blood, BUT it has to be delivered to the next person INTO their circulation, or in some rare cases thru abraded mucous membrane.  So, unless your wife has open sores on her butt, or (forgive the bluntness) has managed to actually have the vaginal mucosa come into contact with the blood on the seat, she has virtually no chance of catching any serious disease, and even if she does/did, the chances are incredibly remote.  I would go out on a limb and say zero chance, but my training prevents that, sorry, but it may as well be zero.

As a separate issue, everyone should be vaccinated against Heb B, just for the hell of it.

+11ebentybillion.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Id rather have Hep B than Hep C if given a choice......
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone should already have been vaccinated for Hep B, and might as well get hep A.  If you haven't, start the series next time you see your doctor.  Last thing you want is to die of a disease you could have easily prevented.

Hep A is caught through contaminated food.  Hep B is the easiest to spread and is found in all bodily fluids(the STD hep).  Hep C is found only in blood(small STD risk).  B  and C can permenantly damage your liver and even be fatal.  There is no vaccine for hep C.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry about the dumb question, but can someone please explain the differences between the three types of Hep?
Also how long are the vaccines effective for?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I keep bunnies.  Long story, but it basically started when a friend saved the last of a clutch of cottontail rabbits from the jaws of his beagle.  He brought it to me in a tupperware container and asked me to 'save it'.  I was ready to chuck the probably 3-day-old rabbit in the woods but decided to keep it.  Got a medicine dropper and some milk.  I carried him around with me in my shirt pocket during the day until he got too big.  My girlfriend (now wife) at the time wanted a rabbit and bought one of her own.  They actually make good pets.  Not the wild ones though.  They must be let go when they can eat solid food.  I haven't gotten around to posing various gun-related items on their heads, but I am going to do it.  

When I was looking for an avatar I visited a rabbit website and found the one above.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I keep bunnies.  Long story, but it basically started when a friend saved the last of a clutch of cottontail rabbits from the jaws of his beagle.  He brought it to me in a tupperware container and asked me to 'save it'.  I was ready to chuck the probably 3-day-old rabbit in the woods but decided to keep it.  Got a medicine dropper and some milk.  I carried him around with me in my shirt pocket during the day until he got too big.  My girlfriend (now wife) at the time wanted a rabbit and bought one of her own.  They actually make good pets.  Not the wild ones though.  They must be let go when they can eat solid food.  I haven't gotten around to posing various gun-related items on their heads, but I am going to do it.  

When I was looking for an avatar I visited a rabbit website and found the one above.  

Jesus Christ! I knew you were a closet PETA liberal save the animals wannabe!  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Jesus Christ! I knew you were a closet PETA liberal save the animals wannabe!  

I'll have you know that I spent my Canadian summers clubbing baby seals.

I'll IM you when I get the bunny pictures up in a thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

She's not educated.

Hep B.

Hep B.

I agree with the public/blood choice, but why so worried about Hep B?  Aren't you vaccinated?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sorry about the dumb question, but can someone please explain the differences between the three types of Hep?
Also how long are the vaccines effective for?
Thanks!

Everything you ever wanted to know about hepatitis.

HERE

The Hep B vaccine is good for life after the series is complete.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, she doesn't have any open cuts so were ok as far as that's concerned. She's going into the doc for some other bloodwork so we can just tack that on.

I was hounding her to get the B series but she HATES needles. It was offered for free at work so I took the series.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The Hep B vaccine is good for life after the series is complete.

There are some cases of diminishing immunity; you can get a blood titer checked and get a booster, if necessary.

HIV - can take post-exposure prophylaxis, doesn't live long in dried blood
HBV - vaccine, post-exposure prophylaxis, can live long time in dried fluids
HCV - experimental post-exposure therapies, no vaccine, can live a long time in dried fluids.  

Informal poll of us here in the team room at work: fear the HCV exposure after needlestick above the others (although HIV more deadly and many chronic HCV carriers never get symptomatic), but would rather not take the roll of dice with any of them.

Getting a blood test may or may not show anything right now after she's exposed, other than to prove she doesn't have infection at the time of exposure.  It can take days to months to convert to positive tests.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Wife OK! Tests all came back in the negative. Thats a good thing. Thank you for all of the replys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Should <fingers crossed> be fine.   AIDS dies in the air rapidly, and most bugs die when dried out and exposed to air.

Gross.  

BS....MRSA can live on a surface for about 40 days, the "other sh*t like that" doesn't just die right away either.
BUT, since I'll assume her skin was not broken, nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Unless she has/had an open area on her skin when she contacted the blood she has nothing to worry about.

The important thing for all of us to understand is the importance of WASHING YOUR HANDS everytime before you eat, rub your eye, pick your nose, touch your dick.

Think of this:

You go to a movie theater, walk up to the door and hold it open for your date, then you go in sit down and eat your popcorn. You have just put the germs of all the countless thousands of people before you that used that same door IN YOUR MOUTH

WASH! WASH! WASH!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#37]
not good, not good at all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top