Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 6:31:18 PM EST
I have decided to learn how to play the guitar, mainly it is on my bucket list to play the entire Lateralus album by TOOL in covers before I die. Been listening to it since it came out and it has helped me through some VERY rough times.

So I want to do it and will have the cash in about two weeks.

What do I need in terms of a guitar, amp, etc Arfcom?

Money is a decent concern, call it a $3k budget in total but if the stuff is AMERICAN made, I can and will go higher.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:36:26 PM EST
Fender Standard Strat. A mexican standard is very well made and will serve you nicely, but the American standard will work fine too.

Amp? You want a little guy or a bigger one? The Line6 "Spider" line is pretty good for the money. For something bigger, if you can find a Fender Prosonic combo, you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:35 PM EST
The Paul Reed Smith guitars that are made in Korea are incredible guitars and can easily be mistaken for the American models that sell for thousands. Great sound and electronics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:41:15 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By strat81:
Fender Standard Strat. A mexican standard is very well made and will serve you nicely, but the American standard will work fine too.

Amp? You want a little guy or a bigger one? The Line6 "Spider" line is pretty good for the money. For something bigger, if you can find a Fender Prosonic combo, you'll be happy.
View Quote

Standard Strats made in the states? I ask because I was really (and still am) considering buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard and saying fuck it the the budget.

Amp wise I want something clean that sounds great...so i will look into that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:46:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By callahan318:

Standard Strats made in the states? I ask because I was really (and still am) considering buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard and saying fuck it the the budget.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, the Fender American Standard is made here. The regular standard line is Made in Mexico. If you're looking for quality, also check out japanese (MIJ) Fenders.

I have an american Les Paul. My mexican Telecaster kept better tune.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:49:06 PM EST

View Quote

Meh... playing tool on a strat through a chinese digital amp is like playing chopin on a casio. It can be done, but people will laugh.

To OP, I recommend the sensible range of almost any top tier us manufacturer.

Paul reed smiths are great, but their us made S2 line tops out at under $1300.

For an amp made in the usa, I would recommend Rivera, which have always led the field by offering
A believable "vintage fender" channel and a believable "marshall hi gain" channel on their channel
switching amps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:49:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 6:55:05 PM EST by SixSquared]
Something with humbuckers, Gibson Les Paul will fit the bill nicely. Look on the used market, check the EE.

For an amp, I think Jones uses a Diezel VH-4 amp. This is in addition to a Marshall Super Bass head probably used more for studio work. A VH-4 would be cool, but would kick the shit out of the budget, even used. I think for road work he has used either Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifiers. One of these and a Mesa 2 or 4x12 cab would be great, all are US made and would fit in your budget. Once again, buy on the used market.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:49:53 PM EST

Yes, the Fender American Standard is made here. The regular standard line is Made in Mexico. If you're looking for quality, also check out japanese (MIJ) Fenders.

View All Quotes

Holy shit. Given the price of the Les Paul's I figured they would be far superior.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:53:03 PM EST
what kind of sound do you like the most? or perhaps whose sound do you like? adam jones from tool?

with $3k you have a decent amount of selection of guitar and amp...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:53:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By SixSquared:
Something with humbuckers, Gibson Les Paul will fit the bill nicely. Look on the used market, check the EE.

For an amp, I think Jones uses Diezel VH-4 amp. But that would kick the shit out of the budget, even used. A Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifier and a Mesa 2 or 4x12 cab would be great, all are US made. Once again, buy on the used market.

Good luck and have fun.
View Quote

I looked at this amp and may consider it. i am huge believer in buy once cry once in all things.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:54:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By 2minkey:
what kind of sound do you like the most? or perhaps whose sound do you like? adam jones from tool?

with $3k you have a decent amount of selection of guitar and amp...
View Quote

Yup, Adam Jones rocks.

Bonus note, I have talked my wife into doing this with me. It is my relief from bad shit and she has agreed to join me. Perhaps I can talk her into the base?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:54:49 PM EST
Mexican Strat and a Yamaha THR10 amp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:55:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By RunsWithScissors:

Meh... playing tool on a strat through a chinese digital amp is like playing chopin on a casio. It can be done, but people will laugh.

For an amp made in the usa, I would recommend Rivera, which have always led the field by offering
A believable "vintage fender" channel and a believable "marshall hi gain" channel on their channel
switching amps.
View All Quotes

switching amps.

I will look into this. I have a ton of shit to do over the next week paperwork wise but a reckoning is coming.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:00:09 PM EST by strat81]

Holy shit. Given the price of the Les Paul's I figured they would be far superior.
View All Quotes

Maybe the new stuff is better, but back when I sold guitars full time circa 2003, Gibsons were incredibly overpriced and overrated. Not bad, but certainly not worth the asking price.

Also, a "Fat Strat" is a strat with a humbucker in the bridge rather than a single coil, available in Mexican and American flavors.

Tone comes from a lot of places, but the most important one is the player. In my time selling guitars, I heard an awful lot of people play an awful lot of music. I've seen no-name guys on their lunch break with a $200 chinese Strat Pack channel the ghost of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Guitars and amps are also incredibly personal. My recommendations are admittedly middle-of-the-road. Just like with women, you will learn what you like as you become more experienced.

Once you get the basics down, spend your weekends at Sam Ash or Guitar Center playing the various guitars through the various amps. Find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:59:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:02:00 PM EST by callahan318]
Originally Posted By Danner130:
View Quote

Surely you jest.

Little backstory- my dad was a musician. He died at 24 (I was 6) one week before Christmas of Chromium VI posioning. We won a lawsuit and while the only guitar i ever picked up was his 59 Les Paul (bought in 1965 for his birth by his grand-dad) this was sold by my mom after dad died, in order to pay the bills.

This is as much a tribute to him as it is my bucket list. My sister never played music but I intend to play a few of the songs he wrote for her. She never had a chance to meet him.

Money is a secondary concern.

ETA- This is a passionate pursuit if you will.

I have other passions- cars being the big one. (Building myself a Factory 5 Cobra)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:00:23 PM EST

I am by no means knowledgeable on the subject, my only guitar is a beater behringer strat.

I've been thinking of picking up a Gibson SGJ, which are made in the states if I'm not mistaken.

By all the accounts I've read they are quite nice and won't break the bank.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:03:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:06:00 PM EST by azjeeper]

View All Quotes

I've played $4K Les Pauls that were dogs. Laughed as I put them down and walked away.
I've also played custom shop Fenders that did not play as well as American Standards.
Look at Fender's 50's Custom Vibe Squire series guitars. A LOT of guitar for a not a lot of scratch!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:10:38 PM EST
Dude, just get a cheap electric guitar and learn to play. You're not going to learn any faster on a top tier guitar. All you're going to do is plop down a lot of money to buy a guitar that's setup perfectly...for someone else. But it won't be perfect for you because you don't even know enough to have preferences yet. Just go and find one that looks cool, take it home, and play that shit. Play it until your fingers bleed and blister, then callous over so hard you can break car windows just by tapping on them. By then, you'll know what you want in a guitar and you won't be wasting you money when you take home that badass axe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:12:21 PM EST
And remember, this is your first guitar, not your last.

You'll need a guitar for the living room, the bedroom, the basement, the studio, for rock, for metal, for classic rock, etc. A single gun doesn't do it all, and neither will a single guitar.

Much like a "box of holsters", you will acquire a box (or room) of guitar stuff. Amps, pedals, straps, picks, strings...

Quality doesn't mean expensive, nor does it always mean American.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:13:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:15:23 PM EST by SixSquared]
You realize that he probably ran those amps balls to the wall too. You don't live in a condo or apartment, do you.

And from my Wikipedia grade research, it appears he uses Les Pauls for the most part. And Diezel VH4/Boogie Rectifier amps with oversize Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cabs.

All this amounts to a hill of beans if you don't have musical talent and/or the time to invest to play at that level. He's a damn fine player, and as others said, the lions share of a guitar player's sound is located between their fingertips and the top of their skull.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:15:50 PM EST
And remember, this is your first guitar, not your last.

You'll need a guitar for the living room, the bedroom, the basement, the studio, for rock, for metal, for classic rock, etc. A single gun doesn't do it all, and neither will a single guitar.

Much like a "box of holsters", you will acquire a box (or room) of guitar stuff. Amps, pedals, straps, picks, strings...

Quality doesn't mean expensive, nor does it always mean American.
View Quote

I will keep this in mind.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:16:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By SixSquared:
You realize that he probably ran those amps balls to the wall too. You don't live in a condo or apartment, do you.

And from my Wikipedia grade research, it appears he uses Les Pauls for the most part. And Diezel VH4/Boogie Rectifier amps with oversize Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cabs.

All this amounts to a hill of beans if you don't have musical talent and/or the time to invest to play at that level. He's a damn fine player, and as others said, the lions share of a guitar player's sound is located between their fingertips and the top of their skull.
View Quote

I do live in an apartment, but not for long.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:22 PM EST
My experience with Les Pauls is that vintage is best. The new stuff is over priced and no where near the quality of vintage. I have been playing strats for over 30 years. I prefer them because they are easy for me to mod. If you think you may eventually want to mod the guitar with updated pickups, then buy a standard strat and make it your own. A majority of my first time students choose this route.

Amps are very personal. I am a fan of tube amps. I play boogie amps mostly. I do like the Fender hotrod stuff though. EL84 tubes are best to my ears. The hotrod deluxe will give plenty of clean tone, smooth over drive and more power than a newbie will need for quite a while. Great amp for clubs. Pretty easy to get good high gain sounds if you push it with a boost or even top the amps overdrive off with a tube screamer or something similar.

Just my opinions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:29:39 PM EST
In regards to amps DO NOT GET A 100 WATT Tube amp. It will be too loud for practice and running it turned down kills the sound. Hell even a 50 watt tube amp is loud as hell.

You are just starting out get a decent solid state amp(I like the VOX for practice) and decent humbucker equipped guitar. Epiphone, Dean. Stay away from floyd rose bridges unless you have a buddy close by that plays guitar as the first time you have to change strings you will hate life. If you really feel the need for a floyd rose dive bombs go to www.ibanezrules.com and Rich has a damn good pictorial on how to change strings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:30:17 PM EST
Every single human being who posts in this thread will tell you something different.

Simple advice for a beginner:

You have no idea what you want in a guitar yet, because you're inexperienced and don't know how to play. Therefore, don't go blow a lot of money because someone else tells you to. Get a Mexican Strat. It's inexpensive and it's a damn good guitar (especially for a beginner).

Amp wise, especially for a beginner, just get any major brand name and drive on. You can develop all sorts of intricate "preferences" and "tastes" after you've learned to play the instrument. For a beginner the guitar is more important than the amp.

Most of all though, playing the guitar should be fun. Sure, you have to put in the time and effort, but it should always be fun. Concentrate on making music. Playing a musical instrument is not an athletic event. Nobody gives a shit how "fast" or "good" you are. If you play music you like and other people like, then you're "good." Aim to please yourself. You'll always be your own worst critic, anyway.

Finally, keep in mind that every non-musician who listens to you play wishes they could do what you're doing. It's like fucking magic to them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:31:50 PM EST

Surely you jest.

Little backstory- my dad was a musician. He died at 24 (I was 6) one week before Christmas of Chromium VI posioning. We won a lawsuit and while the only guitar i ever picked up was his 59 Les Paul (bought in 1965 for his birth by his grand-dad) this was sold by my mom after dad died, in order to pay the bills.

This is as much a tribute to him as it is my bucket list. My sister never played music but I intend to play a few of the songs he wrote for her. She never had a chance to meet him.

I have other passions- cars being the big one. (Building myself a Factory 5 Cobra)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Danner130:

Surely you jest.

Whatever
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:37:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:37:53 PM EST by ato178028]
Originally Posted By JofoShootin:
Dude, just get a cheap electric guitar and learn to play. You're not going to learn any faster on a top tier guitar. All you're going to do is plop down a lot of money to buy a guitar that's setup perfectly...for someone else. But it won't be perfect for you because you don't even know enough to have preferences yet. Just go and find one that looks cool, take it home, and play that shit. Play it until your fingers bleed and blister, then callous over so hard you can break car windows just by tapping on them. By then, you'll know what you want in a guitar and you won't be wasting you money when you take home that badass axe.
View Quote

Yes, get 1K in gear and 2K in lessons. Get Adam Jones to show you how to play himself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:39:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Echo_Hotel:
Every single human being who posts in this thread will tell you something different.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Echo_Hotel:

my favorite part is the guy named STRAT81 thinking that anybody is going to take him seriously while he commands OP to buy a.... you guessed it..... STRAT.... and also talks trash about... you guessed it... the major opponent to Fender guitars

Simple advice for a beginner:

You have no idea what you want in a guitar yet, because you're inexperienced and don't know how to play. Therefore, don't go blow a lot of money because someone else tells you to. Get a Mexican Strat. It's inexpensive and it's a damn good guitar (especially for a beginner).

Amp wise, especially for a beginner, just get any major brand name and drive on. You can develop all sorts of intricate "preferences" and "tastes" after you've learned to play the instrument. For a beginner the guitar is more important than the amp.

Most of all though, playing the guitar should be fun. Sure, you have to put in the time and effort, but it should always be fun. Concentrate on making music. Playing a musical instrument is not an athletic event. Nobody gives a shit how "fast" or "good" you are. If you play music you like and other people like, then you're "good." Aim to please yourself. You'll always be your own worst critic, anyway.

Finally, keep in mind that every non-musician who listens to you play wishes they could do what you're doing. It's like fucking magic to them.

and I agree with this. you don't need to worry about specifics at this point. i'm gonna be bluntly honest here -- any instrument you play is going to sound like shit at this point of your playing career.

you can't buy good tone -- it comes from the fingers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:41:59 PM EST by sigp226]
Three grand will buy you a lot of nice stuff. You really don't need to spend that much. You can get aFender American Strat for around $1700 or a Les Paul Studio for less than that. Don't spend a fortune on an amp, particularly if your neighbors own firearms. You don't need it until you've learned the basics. A practice amp is fine. They're less than $100 and easy to carry around should you have another place where you'd like to hang out and play/practice.

SPEND THE REST OF THE MONEY ON A GOOD TEACHER.

This can not be enough emphasized. Not "a teacher," a good one. Find someone that relates to you and who watches what you do and shows you how to do it better. Avoid anyone who sits in the studio and plays at you to show off how he can shred and why can't you? A good music teacher is worth his weight in gold. Anyone can tell you how to move your fingers. A good teacher will explain why you should do it a particular way, and help you learn how to express yourself.

Good luck, enjoy, visit the music forum for better advice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:41:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By FeebMaster:

I am by no means knowledgeable on the subject, my only guitar is a beater behringer strat.

I've been thinking of picking up a Gibson SGJ, which are made in the states if I'm not mistaken.

By all the accounts I've read they are quite nice and won't break the bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZLb_pLPNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKvQPFQKE3A
View Quote

I own a Gibson SGJ and it is absolutely fantastic.

to the wise guy who was complaining about his gibson slipping out of tune: the two major causes of that are improperly-mounted strings and a lack of lubrication on the string nut. both of those things are user error, NOT instrument error.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:45:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 7:55:08 PM EST by callahan318]
Originally Posted By sigp226:
Three grand will buy you a lot of nice stuff. You really don't need to spend that much. You can get aFender American Strat for around $1700 or a Les Paul Studio for less than that. Don't spend a fortune on an amp, particularly if your neighbors own firearms. You don't need it until you've learned the basics. A practice amp is fine. They're less than $100 and easy to carry around should you have another place where you'd like to hang out and play/practice.

SPEND THE REST OF THE MONEY ON A GOOD TEACHER.

This can not be enough emphasized. Not "a teacher," a good one. Find someone that relates to you and who watches what you do and shows you how to do it better. Avoid anyone who sits in the studio and plays at you to show off how he can shred and why can't you? A good music teacher is worth his weight in gold. Anyone can tell you how to move your fingers. A good teacher will explain why you should do it a particular way, and help you learn how to express yourself.

Good luck, enjoy, visit the music forum for better advice.
View Quote

Will do. It is going to be interesting and I am sure that finding a teacher is challenging. Like I had mentioned, part of it is for me, part of it is for family. I played other instruments for years but never really touched a guitar. For better or worse I played a sax from grade school through high school and stopped.

My dad would have been a great teacher. Due to poisoning and early birth my dexterity was not up to snuff, as I couldn't throw a ball until I was 5. I tried and tried but it always sounded funny.

I really wish that my mom had kept that guitar. About the only thing I remember was that he really liked that guitar but played more acoustic guitars. Liked it enough to paint his busted ass chevelle (a 71 he had been working on for years) in the same yellow color.
When he died, my mom sold it for $1200 in 1990. I have no idea what it was worth at the time, nor do I now and I do not think she did either, but she also got rid of d a bunch of other stuff that would have been nice to have around and all of his music save for a couple of tapes.

Off to do a ton of reading. I am not planing on seeing my sister until the spring so I will have some time to practice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:46:33 PM EST

View All Quotes

You literally have to play every Gibson in the store to find the "right" one. Guitars have their own souls, and no two are alike. Like anything else, sometimes Gibson makes a lemon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:51:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By desertw0lf:

You literally have to play every Gibson in the store to find the "right" one. Guitars have their own souls, and no two are alike. Like anything else, sometimes Gibson makes a lemon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By desertw0lf:

i endorse this post. but this is also why I (and a few others) are telling OP that he ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be dropping that kind of money on a guitar just yet. OP, you don't know what you like in a guitar yet. as you learn to play you will develop your own style and tone, and you will figure out what suits you best. things like scale length, pickup type, body shape, choice of tonewood, type of neck joint, etc, are all preferences that you will develop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:53:48 PM EST
The most important thing is to learn how to play.....

Expensive gear does nothing for a crap guitarist
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:54:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By M1911A15:

View Quote

^ exactly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:55:26 PM EST
so for an amp look at the THD flexi 50 with a speaker cab if you can play loud, if not perhaps a line 6 dt25.

as far as guitar it is whatever feels right. you need to experiment. i'd buy a solid used guitar you can re-sell without loss when you realize you want something else. that will happen a few times. get 'em with humbuckers. strat pickups will not get you the tone you want.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:56:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By M1911A15:

View Quote

Same can be said about rifles and shooters. I will adjust accordingly and sincerely, thank you for the advice. My biggest concern is buying cheap and getting burned. I will be going off to the music store this week once I get soem time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:59:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 8:28:25 PM EST by larkinmusic]
You really don't want to know what a 59 Les Paul is worth now.

ETA- I think the idea of buying a quality instrument for your first guitar is a good one. If you decide it isn't for you, the resell value will be much better. Of course I have the same rule guitars that I have with guns. Never sell one:-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:16:06 PM EST
I have a few Schecter Guitars. I really like the necks and they seem to be good for the cash. I have a couple Bass as well, but picked up a Schecter Classic as my first new electric and fell in love. I have bought a couple more since then.

My suggestion is get a decent mid line guitar, nothing too cheap, but not bottom of the barrel and get a decent Crate practice amp and go to town. Also, get some lessons. It will help immensely.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:16:40 PM EST
FPNI. I'm a noob (been one for years, starting and stopping learning to play).

With your budget, a basic midlevel guitar, 200-500 bucks, which will last you a long time. Add a line 6 amp, probably no more than 20 size, will be more than enough for a beginner, and with decent sound.
Spend the rest on a strap, cords, a good case, a stand, and an instructor-shop around and find one that works with you. Find out what he recommends in books and videos and get those.

I'm going the self taught route, I can't afford a regular instructor, HOWEVER, I do recognize that some where along the line, I'm going to need one, hopefully before I pick up any uncorrectable bad habits.

Go to your local guitar store-don't take any money or your plastic. Try to do it during a slow time, and find a clerk who knows how to play, and is willing to work with you. Let him know you are shopping for a guitar, but are NOT buying that day, or even that week. Handle several guitars. I found out that a telecaster neck is a bit narrow for me, so I went with a Ibanez strat copy, which felt better. Perhaps when I know something, I'll take another look at a telecaster.

WRITE DOWN the models you like, or the clerk recommends, do some research, esp. the reviews on that stores website if they have one (Guitar Center does, they're my "local" store). You'll find some surprisingly inexpensive guitars get some pretty good reviews.

Wait at least a week from deciding which one to buy, to actually going and buying them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:33:53 PM EST
tube amp.

fucking tubes, man.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:09:42 PM EST

View All Quotes

No reason to buy a LP for your bucket list. Leave more $ for the kids in your will.

Guitars these days are like everything else. Manufacturing technology combined with pacific rim labor costs has flooded the market with good quality, cheap goods. You can spend $200 on a used import guitar and 99% of the people who will ever hear you play won't even know what kind of guitar you are playing on if they can't see the headstock.

Your amp and effects will make a much bigger impact on your sound, particularly if you go with a modestly priced amp or effects setup that models different "classic sounds". The quality of a LP isn't going to come through that cheaper amp/effects filter. Now, if you want to build a wall of Marshalls and spends thousands duplicating someone's real life rig, then go ahead and spring for the LP. But if it's nothing more than a garage hobby for kicks, there is no need to spring for the big $ items.

Salespeople will tell you that a LP will retain it's value. But just like with the new Sig you bought last week, the minute you walk out the door with it, you can't get out of it what you got in it. You can buy a $200 import guitar and set it on fire when you get tired of it collecting dust in the corner of the den and still come out further ahead than you can buying a LP and then trying to sell it three years later.

That's not an insult to LP's. I love them. And they are better instruments than most of what's out there. But it's a diminishing returns issue. Don't entertain any illusions about the quality of your audio experience being enhanced by the inclusion of a LP or think you save money by buying "quality". It's like buying a top of the line socket set to change your plugs once a year and then you end up selling the pieces in a yard sale 5 years later because your brother-in-law and kids have lost most of it during that time. Be realistic in what your expectations are and THEN buy accordingly.

And don't forget that a lot of your tone is going to come from you, not the instrument. A good guitarist (which I am not) can take my gear and absolutely make it sound better than I can. And we could trade gear and I still wouldn't sound as good on his professional rig as he will using my gear. Invest in lessons and practice. Sounds kinda like gun advice, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:20:58 PM EST
Get your hands on as many guitars as you can and listen to as many amps as you can. Even if you hardly know how to play you will like the feel of a guitar or not right away. The amps will not need to be big or powerful to practice with and a lot of them can sound like they are turned up all the way without being turned up- master volume is what they call that trick. Tubes sound better but digital can sound good enough.

I have a LP but it is a pain to play at the higher frets as it is not a double cutaway. Take your time and you will save money.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:17:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hitower:
tube amp.

fucking tubes, man.
View Quote

As a tube amp hobbyist builder I agree. But for a guy that doesn't even play the instrument yet I disagree. Modeling amps are quite remarkable these days. Just like the guitar it's best to develop a feel for the instrument before dropping the bucks on a good tube amp. A modeling amp has the avantage that it can make good sounds at low volumes and emulate a variety of amps suited for different styles.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:28:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:

As a tube amp hobbyist builder I agree. But for a guy that doesn't even play the instrument yet I disagree. Modeling amps are quite remarkable these days. Just like the guitar it's best to develop a feel for the instrument before dropping the bucks on a good tube amp. A modeling amp has the avantage that it can make good sounds at low volumes and emulate a variety of amps suited for different styles.
View All Quotes
tube amp.

fucking tubes, man.

The only worthy modelling amps are either very expensive (ax-fx), or even require you have access to what it is you want to model (kemper).

As an adult, learning this sort of thing is more difficult. A proper and well made rig
Will only help. You will keep at it if your shit does what you want it to do.

If you have crap, or otherwise unsuitable gear you will not be as enthusiastic.
You will keep 3/4s the investment if you sell, but with chinese gear, you get 1/4.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:32:55 AM EST
Musicman Axis Super Sport. Made in USA for about 1500 to 2000 new.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:35:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2013 4:39:02 AM EST by BKC1869]
Originally Posted By JofoShootin:
View Quote

This. Go get a decent starter guitar, amp, and some headphones, so you don't piss everyone off within a mile while you are learning and sound like you're strangling a cat, then after you have learned a little you can go drop $3K on a bunch of gear if you know you enjoy playing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:43:07 AM EST
Gibson Les Paul and Marshall/Mesa Boogie(Mesa is USA made) is the correct answer to any "what setup should I buy once cry once" thread. Yes the modern modeling amps can pretend to sound very good, but at the end of the day they are just faking it. Get the real deal. There are some other sweet setups out there, but I'd stick with the tried and true.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:46:07 AM EST
Also check out theYamaha THR-10X for a practice amp.

Free online lessons to get you started - justinguitar dot com

Just my opinion - if you really want to learn to play buy quality equipment if you have the funds. It does make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:54:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2013 5:03:14 AM EST by Green_Canoe]

The only worthy modelling amps are either very expensive (ax-fx), or even require you have access to what it is you want to model (kemper).

As an adult, learning this sort of thing is more difficult. A proper and well made rig

You will keep 3/4s the investment if you sell, but with chinese gear, you get 1/4.
View All Quotes
tube amp.

fucking tubes, man.

Swingset and Red Label are far more knowledgable than I on modelers. Based on what the've told me you dfon't have to buy Ax-Fx to get decent modeling. Remember the OP has even learned to play the guitar yet. You think he's going to know how to get good tone out of a tube amp before he even learns where to place his fingers on th4 fretboard?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:00:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2013 5:36:53 AM EST by Green_Canoe]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Gibson Les Paul and Marshall/Mesa Boogie(Mesa is USA made) is the correct answer to any "what setup should I buy once cry once" thread. Yes the modern modeling amps can pretend to sound very good, but at the end of the day they are just faking it. Get the real deal. There are some other sweet setups out there, but I'd stick with the tried and true.
View Quote

He hasn't even learned to play guitar yet. Do you really think it's beneficial to a beginner to listen to his skritchy, scratchy, thumpy, wrong note, dead note wanking at the 120 dB you need to run a tube amp at to get good tone? I'd bet a buck if he gets a 50 watt Marshall or Mesa he very quickly says, "It's not distorted enough at comfortable playing volumes. I need a distortion pedal". Then you are right back to solid state where you said you didn't want to be.

Sure you can buy the Marshall or Mesa to have something cool to lean the guitar against but a "practice" amp is far more practical for a learner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top