Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/25/2006 1:27:20 PM EDT
Ok on Monday I go to take a shower like normal, and the water wouldnt drain and then started backflowing into the toilet.

Tuesday it started to drain slowly, running the sink for about 2 minutes would cause water to backflow into the shower and toilet so the clog has to be somewhere past the point where all 3 pipes connect. I have had 2 75' sewer snakes rented from Home Depot, one inside and one outside. The first one I ran outside until I ran out of snake line, the other one, I ran as far as I could down the shower drain and still the drain is clogged. It will drain, if you run water to the point of backflow it takes about 2 hours for it to drain again.

I dont know what else to try except to call an actual plumber, which I dont want to do if I dont have to. I tried to type everything as clear as I could, if anything needs clarifying let me know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 1:37:04 PM EDT by home_with_kids]
I'm not a plumber and don't play one on TV, but when we had this problem (backflow from shower to sink/toilet, and vice versa) it was a clogged main line. The big vertical cast iron (in our older house) line. unscrew the cleanout plug and go up and down this pipe.

The pipe can be so scummy on the ID that the snake is passing throug a narrow channel of crud, and the next wad of hair or TP clogs the line again. You may need a bucket or small trash can for all the crud from this line, if it has not been cleaned in years.

good luck

EDIT I am not talking about the main sewer line away from your house to the street, but the main "collector" line, usually a vertical line, in side the house. Although depending on your lay out I suppose it could be your main line in the yard, although you would expect to see water from the basement drains first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:34:10 PM EDT
I am not a plumber, I had a clog that I couln't fix, tried everything I knew, then went on roof, and ran one of those pressure decloggers down the vent stack, and it cleared,
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
Were you useing a hand powered snake or eletric ?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
I'm assuming, you are on sewer
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:40:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By home_with_kids:
I'm not a plumber and don't play one on TV, but when we had this problem (backflow from shower to sink/toilet, and vice versa) it was a clogged main line. The big vertical cast iron (in our older house) line. unscrew the cleanout plug and go up and down this pipe.

The pipe can be so scummy on the ID that the snake is passing throug a narrow channel of crud, and the next wad of hair or TP clogs the line again. You may need a bucket or small trash can for all the crud from this line, if it has not been cleaned in years.

good luck

I sewer snaked the main line for about 2 hours, alot of crud came out. This should have been in the original post, but the rest of the house drains fine, the master bathroom, kitchen and washer all drain, its just this one bathroom that wont drain. I have also snaked the cleanout drains and got no results.

Also I am on a sewer, and I was using an electric sewer snake.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:40:55 PM EDT
Go to a rental store and see if they have a pressure washer with a sewer cleaning hose and nozzle.

Trust me.......problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:42:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RIA45ACP:

good luck

I sewer snaked the main line for about 2 hours, alot of crud came out. This should have been in the original post, but the rest of the house drains fine, the master bathroom, kitchen and washer all drain, its just this one bathroom that wont drain. I have also snaked the cleanout drains and got no results.

Try taking a look at the vent line, too. Can do all sorts of weird shit if it gets plugged.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:42:57 PM EDT
Good luck, .........Treeman
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:43:15 PM EDT
If stuff keeps coming out in masses keep going. My house had it pretty bad, i pulled out tampons and tree roots.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:50:37 PM EDT

you may have drain snakes. a bad infestation, from the sounds of it.

Seriously, I'm out of ideas but will leave you with this: drainage is a differential equation. One part of the house may drain well briefly only because its filling the "reservoir" of the pre-blockage main line. If you check by running the water in a particular sink for 20 seconds, that only means you may not have filled this reservoir yet, and wrongly assume its drain path is clear.

Take time to rule out blocked drain paths one by one, and then concentrate on the remaining line. Once you are sure of the location of the blockage, then resort to pressurized solutions if the snake won't work.

Again, good luck. This is one of the most frustrating parts of having a house. And somewhat expensive if you bust a cast iron pipe trying to removed a corroded clean-out cap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:36:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattimeo:

Originally Posted By RIA45ACP:

good luck

Try taking a look at the vent line, too. Can do all sorts of weird shit if it gets plugged.

The ventline never crossed my mind. I'll take a look at that now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT
Top Top