Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:09:36 PM EDT
While cutting the grass today, a piece of debris flew into my eye.  It didn't hurt immediately, so I finished the lawn, then flushed with saline solution.  It is now about 6 hours after the incident and my eye is still red and irritated.  After up close inspection, there is no debris in my eye, but it still feels like there is.  I think I have scratched my cornea (I have had this happen before).  Short of going to a doc in the box or the ER, is there anything else I can do?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Short of going to a doc in the box or the ER, is there anything else I can do?

No.

Were you wearing safety goggles/glasses?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
tape your eye shut for 1 day. The cornea epithilium repairs itself quickly
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Second Third Opinion:

Really, No.

(And I work at the opposite end of the body.)

Who was it that posted the first rule of ARF.com medicine?:  If you have to ask about it on the board, get your ass to a doctor.  (Gee, answered the question...see the sig line above).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While cutting the grass today, a piece of debris flew into my eye.  It didn't hurt immediately, so I finished the lawn, then flushed with saline solution.  It is now about 6 hours after the incident and my eye is still red and irritated.  After up close inspection, there is no debris in my eye, but it still feels like there is.  I think I have scratched my cornea (I have had this happen before).  Short of going to a doc in the box or the ER, is there anything else I can do?

I think you should go to the doc and get it checked out.  Best wishes.  BTDT a long time ago.

(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I do not play one on TV, but last year I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My future father in law did the exact same thing last week, and ended up in the ER.  It was in and out, he was lucky enough to just have a simple scratch without lodged debris or anything.  

One thing I can tell ya, nobody down there told him he was a dumbass for coming in.  He ended up with a few eye drop prescriptions and an appointment at an optometrist in a week or so.  I was glad he went.

Eyes are special man.. Take care of them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hit your thumb with a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure your Tetanus Vaccination is up to date = less than 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I was wearing glasses at the time.  I am going to see the doc this morning.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I was wearing glasses at the time.  I am going to see the doc this morning.

Glasses don't cut it. I wear saftey goggles and ear protection whenever I get out the mower or weedwacker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top