Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 7:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2015 2:43:03 PM EDT by Deej86]
GF has a 12 y/o White West Highland Terrier. She's noticed lately he's been peeing in the house, and he actually did it when I was over there the other day.

She's taking him to the vet on Saturday to get him checked out and between her and I we think there's 3 possibilities:

1) He's picked up bad habits from my GF's sister's Silky Terrier that often times stays at my GF's house(my GF's mother picks up the dog from where it belongs, and has it stay over at their house "as to not be a burden on my GF's sister.").
2) He's just old(Apparently Westies have a 12-15 year lifespan)
3)He may have some other medical conditions involved.

Thoughts?

Update:

GF's mother took the dog to the vet, diagnosed with a bladder infection, gave the dog some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:00:46 PM EDT
diabeetus
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:02:06 PM EDT
bladder stones
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:02:16 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smitro:
diabeetus
View Quote

X2

One of our labs did that. Was diagnosed with diabetes. Went blind a while after that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:02:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smitro:
diabeetus
View Quote

Yeah, I mentioned that to her. I don't know the dog's health history.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:03:08 PM EDT
Could be any of the three, but #1 seems unlikely for a dog that age.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:03:08 PM EDT
kidney failure (could be the result of a long list including cancer or medication the dog is on)

Really though, no sense in guessing and stressing over it when you aren't going to be able to come up with a definitive answer. Good luck with the dog.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
Could be a UTI also
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:04:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Could be a UTI also
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:05:13 PM EDT
Bladder stones, UTI, age. Good call taking him to the vet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:07:58 PM EDT

How much have you been going over there?
Maybe he is trying to mark his territory and establish his dominance over the new guy moving in on his territory and woman.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2015 7:11:40 PM EDT by Deej86]
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:

How much have you been going over there?
Maybe he is trying to mark his territory and establish his dominance over the new guy moving in on his territory and woman.
View Quote

Not very often at all. Maybe once or twice every few weeks. Visits in her house have ranged from "5-10 minutes to pick up or drop off something" to a few hours. The dog has been very friendly towards me, he'll flop over and let me scratch his belly if I pet him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:12:12 PM EDT
Stress, Anger, lack of attention, changes in mood, failure to be released outside. Age.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
It's interesting to see this post. Very curious to see replies.

My dog is turning 4 this year and never had an accident in his life. However the past couple weeks it's been every 1-2 days or so. (Thank god for a wood floor.)

We partly think it's because we boarded him for the first time in December for 5 days and now he's pissed off whenever he's alone for a while but otherwise have no idea ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
it's too damn cold out
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:19:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By coldair:
it's too damn cold out
View Quote

Could be that too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:20:17 PM EDT
I had a GSD who did this when other dogs visited--it was literally a "territorial pissing" thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:24:41 PM EDT
UTI is the usual suspect. can be diagnosed pretty quickly from a urine sample.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:26:08 PM EDT
Establishing dominance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:29:16 PM EDT
UTI
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2015 7:32:05 PM EDT by Deej86]
Originally Posted By 32ACP:
I had a GSD who did this when other dogs visited--it was literally a "territorial pissing" thing.
View Quote

Well, if that's the case, then it won't be going away anytime soon. My GF's sister has a Silky terrier, and lives in a condo with her husband and daughter. My GF lives with her mother in a house with a decent-sized yard.

My GF's mother likes to take the Silky Terrier over for multiple-day stays at their house, because according to my GF, her mother thinks taking the dog away is putting less of a burden on the sister, though my GF has tried to make multiple unsuccessful counters to this, that it's a bit of a hardship on them with having a second dog to deal with. Maybe if a vet gets through to them that it's an issue, then maybe her mother will see that it's an issue.

Quite frankly, I think it's pretty stupid to take someone's dog out of their house and bring them back. If it's truly a burden, why do they have the dog in the first place? Needless to say my GF is pretty happy when the other dog isn't over.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:32:41 PM EDT
Mine did when her kidneys started failing. She was about 10 years old.

They drink lots of excess water to flush the toxins out of their system. Poor girl couldn't make it through the night. We put in a doggy door for her.

She made it to about 12 1/2 years before we finally lost her.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:32:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mike_P:
It's interesting to see this post. Very curious to see replies.

My dog is turning 4 this year and never had an accident in his life. However the past couple weeks it's been every 1-2 days or so. (Thank god for a wood floor.)

We partly think it's because we boarded him for the first time in December for 5 days and now he's pissed off whenever he's alone for a while but otherwise have no idea ourselves.
View Quote

I lost my dog at 4 due to kidney shutdown

While my wife and I will never know for sure. It was during that Chinese dogfood scare in 07.

He went from healty to dead in a month.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:32:51 PM EDT
This happened to my dog. It was UTI.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:33:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Deej86:

Well, if that's the case, then it won't be going away anytime soon. My GF's sister has a Silky terrier, and lives in a condo with her husband and daughter. My GF lives with her mother in a house with a decent-sized yard.

My GF's mother likes to take the Silky Terrier over for multiple-day stays at their house, because according to my GF, her mother thinks taking the dog away is putting less of a burden on the sister, though my GF has tried to make multiple unsuccessful counters to this, that it's a bit of a hardship on them with having a second dog to deal with. Maybe if a vet gets through to them that it's an issue, then maybe her mother will see that it's an issue.

Quite frankly, I think it's pretty stupid to take someone's dog out of their house and bring them back. If it's truly a burden, why do they have the dog in the first place? Needless to say my GF is pretty happy when the other dog isn't over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 32ACP:

Mom's house, mom's rules.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:38:31 PM EDT
To damn cold to go outside.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:41:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

View Quote

Understandable, but it can't be good on either dog to have another coming in and out of their environment literally at a whim. It'd be like my mother taking one of my sister's cats home with her for a few days, then back home, then back again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:24:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TwistedSister:
bladder stones
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:35:02 PM EDT
UTI
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:59:42 AM EDT
She's 84 in dog years. Sometimes they become incontinent. (sp) Or one or more of the problems mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:08:58 AM EDT

Understandable, but it can't be good on either dog to have another coming in and out of their environment literally at a whim. It'd be like my mother taking one of my sister's cats home with her for a few days, then back home, then back again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

We spend the weekends up at my cousin's house in the mountains. She has a dog, and we bring our two dogs with us. No ill effects.

She also comes down from the mountains to stay with us fairly often, and brings her dog. Again, no ill effects.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:43:47 PM EDT
Update in OP.
Top Top