Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 12:04:06 PM EDT
This question has been bugging me for quite some time, so guess there's no time like the present to ask.

When a person purchases a gun, you go thru a NICS check.  They (G-men) get the serial number of the gun.  Don't you think they hang onto that serial number (along with lots of info on you) and store it on a 8 trillion gig hard drive somewhere?  

For some reason, I really can't believe they destroy any of the info that comes in during a firearm purchase  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of us live in states where we can buy personal property from other citizens without permission.  All they can know is who bought what through a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Millions of guns are sold privately throughout the U.S.  The only trail would likely be to the original owner.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
According to a recent proclamation by that [sarcasm]rotten lousy unCosntitutional dirt bag[/sarcasm] Ashcroft, NICS is REQUIRED to destroy the purchase info in 24 hours I beleive.

Not to say that that is happenning, but according to the law, its SUPPOSED to work that way.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Clearly, that is not happening, although the text of the original law as well as a second, specify that this is what is supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Clearly, that is not happening, although the text of the original law as well as a second, specify that this is what is supposed to happen.
View Quote

What info do you have that it isn't happenning???

I mean, I suspect it isn't, but don't have evidence to show it isn't.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the form just has the gun type listed, not the actual serial number. It justs has HANDGUN or LONGGUN on it. And it doesn't confirm that you actually purchased it, just that you requested the background check so you COULD purchase it. (at least that is the way it is in Arizona !)

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This question has been bugging me for quite some time, so guess there's no time like the present to ask.

When a person purchases a gun, you go thru a NICS check.  They (G-men) get the serial number of the gun.  Don't you think they hang onto that serial number (along with lots of info on you) and store it on a 8 trillion gig hard drive somewhere?  

For some reason, I really can't believe they destroy any of the info that comes in during a firearm purchase  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks.

vmax84
View Quote

I recently went with my dad to get his pistol, and there was no mention of the serial number until well after the NICS check... did I miss something?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree 100 % with vmax.

And in PA it is fact that the state police keep all records of handgun sales.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Wellll...........we don't talk about that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]I TOLD YOU GUYS BEFORE![/b]you must think I'm kidding.I had a agency run my NICS- FFL dealer purchases,'THE RECORD' went back to 1985ish.[b]REALLY![/b]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Granted, there is no mention of the serial number when your FFL makes the call to the NCIS.

Unfortunately, he mails in to them the form with the, "Are you a fugitive from the law?" and other questions on it. Your FFL is REQUIRED to mail that form in within 24 hrs of the purchase.

They are REQUIRED to destroy it in 21 days, or 24 hrs,.. something like that. (Suuurrreee they do...)

mug
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, he mails in to them the form with the, "Are you a fugitive from the law?" and other questions on it. Your FFL is REQUIRED to mail that form in within 24 hrs of the purchase.
View Quote

Where do you get this?  It's my understanding that the FFL has to keep all the Form 4473's.  I've seen thick binders of yellow forms out when an ATF agent was auditing an FFL I know.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Form 4473's are held by the FFL. They do have the SN of the weapon--at least all of them that I signed did. That is the reason they have the form--it is to be able to track a weapon that is used in a crime.

Form 4473's must be turned over by the FFL when his biz closes unless he was in business longer than 20-25 yrs (uncertain of exact date).
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info.......I knew they wouldn't let go of those serial numbers.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Form 4473's are held by the FFL. They do have the SN of the weapon--at least all of them that I signed did. That is the reason they have the form--it is to be able to track a weapon that is used in a crime.

Form 4473's must be turned over by the FFL when his biz closes unless he was in business longer than 20-25 yrs (uncertain of exact date).
View Quote

What happens if there is a "fire" !

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no *proof* that the gov't stockpiles NICS data and 4473s, other than some information I gained years back from a 20/20 episode.  

If I remember correctly, there was a small story on the BATF's new computer system...the BATF just purchased a new database to keep all 4473 data in instead of keeping the paper.

But lets be realistic here, guys...when the gov't gets information like that, no matter who is in the White House, it isn't going to destroy it.  I could personally give a shit, because as long as its being [i]illegally[/i] compiled, then no one can prosecute using the information.  Same goes for the illegal registration going on in PA.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Well oh course all of my firearms are 100% registered and legal!!  What do you think I am..a criminal??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats why I love private sales and wish more people would use the private sale board. The56.com [url]http://the56.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thats why I love private sales and wish more people would use the private sale board. The56.com [url]http://the56.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl[/url]
View Quote

I bet you do wish more people would use it; Virginia has no sellers!  I'm suprised at that.

[mccain]Private transfers make it very easy for terrorists to obtain weapons.[/mccain]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bet you do wish more people would use it; Virginia has no sellers!  I'm suprised at that.
View Quote

Hardly anyone knows about this.  A link to it should be on every gun board around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey, got an idea. Why doesn't AR15.Com file for that information under the FREEDOM of INFORMATION ACT. Lets see what happens. All they could is get the Bureau of All Things Fun to monitor the site HA HA HA. Those guys are a bunch of turd hearders !
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Granted, there is no mention of the serial number when your FFL makes the call to the NCIS.

They are REQUIRED to destroy it in 21 days, or 24 hrs,.. something like that. (Suuurrreee they do...)

mug
View Quote
The form is not mailed in.  The dealer keeps it on file at his shop.  He is required to turn his 4473s in if he goes out of business.

In GA, if you have a carry license, they don't call NICS.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Here in MA, all firearm transfers are registered. Handguns and long guns. A dealer has to do the usual NICS check and 4473, and also has to send a form FA10 to the state. Private sales have to send an FA10 in. The FA10 lists a description of the firearm, and also details on both the buyer and seller. The place our rulers made to store data on gun owners is called the Criminal History Systems Board.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are grossley misinformed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top