Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 11:22:39 AM EDT
I assume that everyone is paid what they are worth.  If you were worth more, you'd go to a different company and get the better pay.
Unfortunately, it seems that today people think they DESERVE to get paid $50k a year even if they dropped out of high school and had 6 kids and were hooked on crack for 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have run into these whiners who believe they are ENTITLED to something for nothing. They piss me off. I know what it is like to work hard for not very much money. I did that for an awful long time. Now that I have moved on to a job that doesn't require physical labor, it makes me sick to hear these panty-waists who have never worked a day in their lives go on about how they should be getting more than they are. For doing almost nothing! [:(!]

Sorry. What was the question again?

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, no! I'm paid [b]more[/b] than I'm worth.

(Guess who does the payroll? Hee hee hee.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[i]Nobody[/i] gets paid what they are worth.
If they were, the company would not make any money!
View Quote

I KNOW you were kidding about this, but it brings up a good point.

Let's say you're a welder, and you make $20/hr (for a nice round figure).  This means that the company you work for is likely charging $40/hr for your services.  "wait a minute, that's not fair!" some would say.  However, out of that $40 they have to pay your $20, the taxes, the insurance, the other benefits, pay for your equipment, and THEN hope to make something themselves off the $40/hr.  Plus, when things are slow, they'll likely send you to a job where you're not REALLY needed just so they can keep a good welder on the payroll.
So you don't take all that into account & you start doing freelance welding. Except that you're a nobody now, so you can't charge $40/hr, you have to charge $35 just to get work.  Out of that you now have to pay all your own taxes, insurance worker's comp, tools & materials, plus the paperwork side of running your own business.  Also, if there's no jobs for you for a week, you don't get paid for that week.  All of a sudden you find yourself broke & can't figure out why.  Maybe it's because your takehome is now actually $10/hr averaged over the whole year.  Suddenly you start to realize that maybe you were OVERpaid at that old job huh?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
On the outside chance my manager is reading this ...

... [b][red][size=6]NO[/b][/red][/size=6]

j/k
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
No. As a [u]certified[/u]Spanish teacher, which is a small group of whom many are needed, making $24,900 or something like that I'm not (going to be) paid what I'm worth.  It's a job, though.

TS
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
No
Most certified technicians around here make $15 to $20 per flat rate hour.
The company labor rate to the customer is $75 to $85 per flat rate hour.
Factor in the huge amount of warranty work which pays techs less than half what customer pay is, my answer to your question is NO !
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
... We have a lot of fun with this site, go compare for yourself

... I'm already over my 95% cap, I doubt I'm gonna get a lot of sympathy from my Company. But I'm giving it a helluva try!

[url]www.salary.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
if you guy's were paid what you were worth they would whip you to death the first day [lol]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

[url]www.salary.com[/url]
View Quote

Cool. I'm over the top, but still not what I'm worth.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My skill set says I am billable from my company @ $185 - $210 per hour.

Um, last I checked I don't make $400K/year, so no in the strictest terms I am not paid what I'm worth. [:(]

However, I do not have the capital to venture on my own for the work that I do -- YET!

BTW, most folks don't realize thier "compensation package" usually includes far more than their take home pay.

Your $20 W2'ed welder is likely costing your company twice what his gross salary is, assuming you have medical and retirement benes...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let's say you're a welder, and you make $20/hr (for a nice round figure).  This means that the company you work for is likely charging $40/hr for your services.  "wait a minute, that's not fair!" some would say.  However, out of that $40 they have to pay your $20, the taxes, the insurance, the other benefits, pay for your equipment, and THEN hope to make something themselves off the $40/hr.  Plus, when things are slow, they'll likely send you to a job where you're not REALLY needed just so they can keep a good welder on the payroll.
So you don't take all that into account & you start doing freelance welding. Except that you're a nobody now, so you can't charge $40/hr, you have to charge $35 just to get work.  Out of that you now have to pay all your own taxes, insurance worker's comp, tools & materials, plus the paperwork side of running your own business.  Also, if there's no jobs for you for a week, you don't get paid for that week.  All of a sudden you find yourself broke & can't figure out why.  Maybe it's because your takehome is now actually $10/hr averaged over the whole year.  Suddenly you start to realize that maybe you were OVERpaid at that old job huh?
View Quote
Good analysis, [b]norman74[/b].
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
At the last company I worked for, I managed a high of 11 people.  With at least 5, I had this discussion, after they found out what we were charging for work that they did alone.  They would say that we charged X for a job that took them y hours.  All were salaried, so they did the math, and compared it with what they made on average per hour.  

It seemed kind of arrogant to me, so I gave them the benefits, overhead, and sales force effort lecture.  Some people think they are working one big lemonade stand. Mommy isn't supplying the country time and glasses, and daddy isn't building the stand anymore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No
Most certified technicians around here make $15 to $20 per flat rate hour.
The company labor rate to the customer is $75 to $85 per flat rate hour.
Factor in the huge amount of warranty work which pays techs less than half what customer pay is, my answer to your question is NO !
View Quote

See my example above.

I will never understand why people think they are entitled to anywhere near what your company charges for your time.  Shit, I'l never understand why people think they are "entitled" to a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
i make 25/hour.  i get billed out at 182/hour.

oh, and i'm not supposed to know that - guess who fixes the finance computers around here.

edited to add:  i don't think i'm entitled to anything.  guerilla warfare is *always* the answer - i'm indispensible -> they won't realize it -> i get a new job.  got 2 interviews tomorrow.  so long, suckers... good luck figuring out the ~million lines of code i wrote for you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm self employed and manage 12 men.
We will probably increase to 16-18 men in the next four months.
I'm small time and and I wouldn't want it any other way.
I constantly do business and juggle more than most.
Waking up in the middle of the night thinking about work happens too,but I did that when I worked for wages.
Money is money and it aint never enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a Resident.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a Resident.  What do you think?
View Quote

I guarantee you get a lot more than I did as a resident. Times have changed, not to mention the hours.

I do remember though how nice it was to suddenly have some income rolling in.

PGY1?

TT
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Heck no! I kill people for a living and bring them back to life. You tell me how much you pay a person that has your lie in their hands.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope, getting the shaft.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup.  And very lucky to have gotten the job I did.  Just graduated in Engineering and got lucky enough to find a job within a couple months.  A lot of my friends haven't found one yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I assume that everyone is paid what they are worth.  If you were worth more, you'd go to a different company and get the better pay.
Unfortunately, it seems that today people think they DESERVE to get paid $50k a year even if they dropped out of high school and had 6 kids and were hooked on crack for 10 years.
View Quote

Hey, why not? I deserve it!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, why not? I deserve it!
View Quote

You know, this carries over to lesser extremes too.  Look at all the computer industry and finance people that are out of work.  Did you honestly think these were stable industries?  Sure it sucks to be out of work, but who told you to take a high-risk job?  Hell, in many cases these jobs were also high-paying as well.  So if you're now being baid squat (i.e. unemployed) then that's pretty much your own fault too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
We need more Spanish teachers... Kinda like we need more Spanish-speaking people in the United States.

JMHO
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
ewww...20+% below median for restaurant manager.

the funny part is this:  it lists the median for dallas bartender at ~$15,000

never had a bar job in dallas where i was making less than $40k for 3 days a week.  i miss the good old days.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 30+% better paid than my than what that salary indicator says.
Production geologist.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We need more Spanish teachers... Kinda like we need more Spanish-speaking people in the United States.

JMHO
View Quote

Amen brotherman!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
BTT for reply for TT:

PGY-1, yes.

Base is $24k now (up from $16 last year--wonder why they didn't have residents last year)?

Pod is usually (being revised now) a One year Medical or Orthopedic and an additional year or two of Surgery.  Where I'm at now doesn't have the second year(s), so I'll go elsewhere for some elective surgery training--I'll get plenty of Amps and FB removal here, though.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Actually...more than I'm "worth"...I think.  On the other hand, that is a very subjective term...and your worth is (or should be) whatever the market dictates.  I'm a retired Navy officer, currently employed by a small Inside-The-Beltway consulting firm.  Between my Navy check, my VA disability check and my company compensation package, we do all right.  My networking and job performance keep the work coming in and food on the table so I suppose I'm making what I'm worth.

On the other hand, it does seem a bit weird for a dude who left home at seventeen without even a HS diploma to join up (That and college came much later!).

As to the "teacher" issue?  Teachers are by and large underpaid...and that's why I am holding off until I build up a fatter nest egg to begin teaching.  Mind you...not in HS...my missus says I'd probably kill the little bastards.  No...college night school is for me.  That will be my third and final career change.  If you teachers don't like what you're doing...move on to something else.  Working for profit can be very rewarding!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No. As a [u]certified[/u]Spanish teacher, which is a small group of whom many are needed, making $24,900 or something like that I'm not (going to be) paid what I'm worth.  It's a job, though.

TS
View Quote

The median expected salary for a typical Teacher High School in Blank, TX 77---, is $45,292

Half price.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

JMHO
View Quote

Satan's Counsel,

Like it or not it's here. My pitch to the hick kids I teach is, well not exactly, wouldn't you at least like to know if the guys behind you are planning on mugging,robbing and/or killing you?
I'm lucky that I was good enough at it and took it as an easy (back up) minor in college.

TS
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I will never understand why people think they are entitled to anywhere near what your company charges for your time.  Shit, I'l never understand why people think they are "entitled" to a fucking thing.
View Quote

I feel I'm entitled to at least a fucking thing. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Nope, Chefs overall are not paid what they are worth.

And with the big glut of kids who are graduating cooking schools thinking they are going to be a high paid chef or be a TV chef right out of school, it's going to be even less.

Here in the Napa Valley, if you can get $13 an hour as a fine dining/high end line cook, you are doing good.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm way under paid, but if the Big B follows its own rules, I will be getting a huge raise to get my pay aligned with my responsibilities.  (I'm not holding my breath.)

Winston_Wolf
I can send your manager a link to this thread if you like!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Winston_Wolf
I can send your manager a link to this thread if you like!

View Quote

... LOL, [b]AeroE[/b]. If you find out who my manager is, could you forward on his name to me please.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Let's see...  I am a frim believer very few people are paid what they are worth.  In the majority, I have seen people make well below what they are worth and some more than they are worth.

I am one of those people still employed in the telecom sector.  I feel that I am not paid what I am worth and the company I work for is getting a bargain.  I can sit back and review what I have done in my territories and see that I have done a good job for the company.  Revenues are up, customer satisfaction is up and the frequency of "good" business is growing.  For this, I am paid x + x%.  I could probably make more both inside and outside the company, however, the exposure and risk is greater.

I look at it this way, your employer is willing to pay a certain range for a product (you).  You are willing to sell that product for a certain range in salary.  You want more, they want to pay less.  The day you started, you have both negotiated a price for your services.  As the value of your services grows with education and experience, the company should be willing to pay for it.  Once you feel that you can get more for your product in the open market, you have the option to sell yourself to a higher bidder.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I probably make more than I am worth.

I am making about 43K a year now (base), with about another 7K in proficiency pays and OT (and my OT was light last year; OT usually nets another 10-15% over base pay in public safety). That is way above market for my area, and excellent money based on the fairly low cost of living for this region. That Salary.com site had me in the 75 percentile for the area, though it is about 16% behind our main competitor. Besides them, we are the best paid agency in the area. Everyone I work with is getting an 8% adjustment to the salary tables this month to keep us competitive with our main competitor, and I am getting a promotion soon worth another 8%, and some pretty good fringe benefits as well (company vehicle, all equipment, issued Class 3, etc.).

Compared to what other professional government jobs around here make, I get paid very well. Hell, I get paid half again what most teachers in the area make, and my job doesn't require a degree. On the other hand, you really do get what you pay for, and if you pay public servants non-professional wages, you get crappy service. If you pay them like professionals, you generally get higher-caliber people who do a better job.

At this point in my life, I really couldn't change careers; I simply couldn't make this much money a year doing anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top