Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 11:28:27 AM EDT
I didn't want to hijack Hedonist's thread.

Are you obligated under any state or local law to show your reciept when you are walking out of the door of a store?

I know of no such law in Illinois.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Law? No.  

Policy, maybe.
I thnk places like BJ's that do memberships have that in the contract.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Law? No.  

Policy, maybe.
I thnk places like BJ's that do memberships have that in the contract.

+1. Places like Sam's probably have that statement in the membership contract.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been accompanying people to Sams when they've been stopped by the reciept police.  Walmart has not stopped me, or anyone I've been with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The law says I've got to pay, and *I* can ask for a receipt. Subnet Law states "piss off", when asked by anyone other than my accountant for purchase verification.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course you are legally obligated!  You will comply!

Most people are not aware of the Federal "Anti-Theft Focus" (ATF) laws, where you are guilty because shoplifting could be initiated by entering a store that has merchandise.  Upon leaving the store, you are assumed to have stolen, your receipt is required to show that you respect the ATF's authority.  The ATF has no requirement to actually examine the receipt - just establish that you have fear and respect for the ATF by complying.  Regardless, you can still be persecuted under the "constructive theft law" if you do not display enough respect to the ATF.  If detained, you may be directed to an interview room, where you will become another "ass-to-fuck" (also known as an ATF-ATF) until you have increased your fear and respect level, and eliminated currency reserves.  Do not be concerned - they are from the government, and they are here to help keep prices down.

The above is pure B.S. - or is it?

Intimidation, plain and simple.

At this point I've warned my local BB.  God help them if they detain me for even a second and touch me again against my will.  Eszpecially if I've had a bad day and just want to be a putz.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
no, only if it is in your contract, like at SAMs club, costco or Bjs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Make it stop!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I obligated to take a receipt?

How many times have you bought, like a donut, and said no thanks to the receipt and walked...  Gotta try that...

I can just see it now:

"Sir, you MUST take this receipt!"
"No thanks, I don't need any more litter to discard"
"but SIR, YOU MUST TAKE THIS RECEIPT!!!"
"I told you ASSHOLE - now stick that receipt up your ass"
"SECURITY!!  We have non-compliance at register 3!!!"

I'm definately shopping this weekend...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

even if it was, what could they do if you didn't comply? Breach of contract is a civil matter and not a criminal one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
 I went to the SAM'S CLUB web site . The membership agreement does NOT require you to show your reciept .
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 I went to the SAM'S CLUB web site . The membership agreement does NOT require you to show your reciept .

This whole thing is just too funny.  This is the USA and we're like all pissy about receipts....   AND I STARTED THIS LATEST WASTE OF BANDWIDTH!!!!!

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Am I obligated to take a receipt?

How many times have you bought, like a donut, and said no thanks to the receipt and walked...  Gotta try that...

I can just see it now:

"Sir, you MUST take this receipt!"
"No thanks, I don't need any more litter to discard"
"but SIR, YOU MUST TAKE THIS RECEIPT!!!"
"I told you ASSHOLE - now stick that receipt up your ass"
"SECURITY!!  We have non-compliance at register 3!!!"

I'm definately shopping this weekend...

The old lady at Walmart who checks receipts hates me. I just keep on walking.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I'll eat the receipt between the register and the door - and swallow as the nazi looks at me with that ?WTF? face.

After I swallow, I'll tell her - "Its cavity seach time!!!, Got latex gloves? - Ever done this before??? - LET'S GO!!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

even if it was, what could they do if you didn't comply? Breach of contract is a civil matter and not a criminal one.

Uh, void your membership.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, lets all go shopping!

Get like 20 of us to go in and buy a single 3 pack of CD's to burn.

As our crowd tries to exit, I'll retrieve the receipt I shoved in my pocket, along with like 50 other old receipts that all happen to fall over the floor.  The other 19 of you start running out in every direction...

I'll yell "run Arffers run!!"

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

False...

Found on their site..."Advantage / Advantage Plus Conditions and Privileges of Membership."

General Policies
• Children and Guests: Our Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests to SAM’S CLUB. A Member must accompany children and guests – at all times. Only a Member may purchase items. Children may not be left unsupervised. Parents are responsible for their children. Members are responsible for any items opened or damaged by their guests, children, or themselves.
• Dress Code: Shoes and shirts are required.
• Smoking: Not allowed in the Club.
• Tobacco and Liquor: No sales to minors.
• Receipts: To ensure that you are charged correctly for the merchandise you have selected, you will be requested to show your receipt when exiting.

SAM’S CLUB reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.refugepics.com/members/Pennswoods/aw_jeez.gif

Make it stop!

Couldn't have said it better!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
NO.  If you are at a membership place, then you probably would loose your membership for not showing your reciept.  I doubt that if you didn't steal anything, you could face any legal ramifications.  At a walmart..........no way.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
NO.  If you are at a membership place, then you probably would loose your membership for not showing your reciept.

That's ok, my membership needs tightening.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
NO.  If you are at a membership place, then you probably would loose your membership for not showing your reciept.  I doubt that if you didn't steal anything, you could face any legal ramifications.  At a walmart..........no way.  

Where's tc6969 when you need him?

IT's LOSE, not LOOSE!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
No, not by law.  If it's a private club like BJs or Sams Club, though, you signed a contract that you would do so.

However, IMO it is totally not worth the hassle to put up a fight over this.  Maybe if the line was insane and my toddler was haing a meltdown, I'd skip the line.  But really, I usually pick my battles and this isn't one of them.  It doesn't seem to be an issue around here, though -- I'm starting to think some of you live in the ghetto.  I shop at Target, Wal Mart, and all the usual places that get complained about here and I have never been asked for my receipt except once at Best Buy (and yes, the guy saw me check out -- I rolled my eyes at him, and held the receipt that had been plainly visible in my hand up like three inches from his face in case he was legally blind or something -- he wasn't and seemed kind of sheepish after that).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top