Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 4:37:24 PM EDT
If you are can you e-mail me. I am interested in joining (I am prior service) and have some questions. I want to get the dtraight scoop from someone other than a recruiter. If your in NC that is where I am so its a plus.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I was, went in after the Corps.

I went in in the end of 92, at first all was well. We drank like fishes. The drills and summer camps were like boy scouts with beer, lots of beer. No sweat at all after the real military.
I had to go to a school to become an MP, but it was a guard school, where two of the instructors were detectives, one DPD, and it was okay. It was also weird because the Boston PD tried to recruit anyone with brown/tan skin and/or a mexican name for their force.
I gots lots of extra duty time, too, for college money.
Then came Clinton's reelection. We got 9 months active duty pulling LE work in Germany, and the actives hated us with a passion. They tried to screw with us every chance they got. (I mean the majors through chicken guys)
I got out when I saw the writing on the wall, so did all my friends (As one said, we ain't the guard anymore, we are the US Army home stationed in some small town)
I would not join now. You will lose your civvie job and your wife. AD is bad enough on AD, but in the world with no support or services or base medical around your wife and kids will suffer and you will lose your house and life savings (yeah, civil relief act, but it's still 6% and once you are far enough behind you can't catch up before they foreclose---and the reemployment is great, you work one day back and then get fired for breaking some rule you don't know)
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I am, just got off of a 7 month deployment in Germany.  B co, 2/130 Infantry.  In Illinois.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there anyway you can refuse to deploy to some place not in your home state?
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
One advantage I have is that I live neart a base so my wife can go there for treatment. Or she says she will get Blue Cross.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top