Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/1/2006 7:51:32 AM EDT
You know this time of year.

Week one: 3-4 times week, serious as a heart attack, stay for 1-2 hours at a time
Week two: 2-3 times a week, with a "what am i doing here?" look, stays for about 30 minutes
Week three: 1-2 times a week, come in for 10 minutes on the treadmill
Week four: *poof*

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
My experience is it takes 2-3 months for all the newbies to finally fizzle out.

I get the biggest kick of the ones who stretch for about an hour before doing anything,
or, the ones who lay on the floor and read.

"Honey, I'll be at the gym for the next coupla hours, gotta work off the holiday cheer ya know"

I hate the "Campers" who sit on a machine for 30 minutes to do 2 sets, and then have to write down everything they did in some kind of journal or diary.

OH, Well, at least they're trying, gotta give them credit for that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:55:45 AM EDT
If they aer actually working hard, then I could not care less. However the the aforementioned campers, and guys horsing around had better stay out of my way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:00:56 AM EDT
...this too shall pass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:44:48 AM EDT
NO!! And a lot of them will take advantage of the 2 free PT sessions which come with a new membership. And that means that the gym floor will be crowded and my regular routine will be interrupted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:19:50 PM EDT
therein lies the beauty of having an entire gym at home... I did this, motivated in great part by the slacks in the gym.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:14:59 PM EDT
There will be a few in the pool, but we triathletes don't get a huge surge of resolvers. They tend to think of sprint tris in the same category as ultramarathons. Forget about Olympic distance or longer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:43:44 AM EDT
My running shoes, Ipod in my pocket and my treadmill at home and no one else around.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:27:14 AM EDT
I went this morning, and it was all the same faces. I was almost disappointed. I was hoping someone who had never seen a squat rack before, let alone used one, tell me what I was doing wrong. Well, there is always tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:39:20 AM EDT
I just can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:53:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By draver:

I get the biggest kick of the ones who stretch for about an hour before doing anything,

"Honey, I'll be at the gym for the next coupla hours, gotta work off the holiday cheer ya know"

I hate the "Campers" who sit on a machine for 30 minutes to do 2 sets, and then have to write down everything they did in some kind of journal or diary.

Plus they are sudsidizing your gym membership by paying dues and not using the facility. In Monterey, CA there was a nice community rec center/gym with weights, courts, pool, etc. The membership was pretty steep - like $400+ per year (this was in the mid-90s). The kicker was that every time you signed in to work out, you earned a $1 rebate on your membership, awarded at the end of the year IIRC. Sounded like a great incentive to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:57:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By H46Driver:

Originally Posted By draver:

Plus they are sudsidizing your gym membership by paying dues and not using the facility. In Monterey, CA there was a nice community rec center/gym with weights, courts, pool, etc. The membership was pretty steep - like $400+ per year (this was in the mid-90s). The kicker was that every time you signed in to work out, you earned a $1 rebate on your membership, awarded at the end of the year IIRC. Sounded like a great incentive to me.

Excellent point. I hope the place is flooded with them.... for a week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
Ah, the newly resolute...

Tuesday at lunch was the busiest I have ever seen my gym

Thursday it was snowing, about 12 regulars in attendance.

The newly resolute apparently are not so resolute
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:08 AM EDT
I look @ it like the incoming class back in the 70's @ school,...lots of freshmen/freshwomen. Freshwomen primailary.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:44:11 AM EDT
Thankfully most of the new resolution people seem to all be on the cardio machines, which I don't use any way. Last year seemed to be worse than this year, but it could just be my imagination.

It's annoying to have the gym too busy, but I have to give the people credit for at least trying. Considering how much of an epedemic obesity is becoming, I always hope the newbies can make their resolution into a lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:31:32 AM EDT
I'm surprised that yours last that long.

We only get a day of it here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:29:24 AM EDT
I didn't really get back in town and settled until about the 3rd or 4th, so I have not noticed an influx at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:02:20 PM EDT
No influx at all where I lift. I was talking to one other lifter about that this afternoon, and he was simply amazed that there was no influx at all.

I killed some iron this afternoon and didn't have to wait on anyone or anything.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:58 PM EDT
I just started going last week of December so that I can work on my pathetic upper body. I restrict myself to the later hours, so that I can stay the hell out of the way of people who have their routine down and know what they're doing. (It also helps that the place I joined is open 24 hours through the week.) I'd rather get my routine down and my overall fitness up before I try to jump in with people who are able to get in and get it done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:34:10 AM EDT
Wasn't too bad at my gym. Noticeable influx of people, but alot of them where treadmillers. Which is good and bad.. makes it easier to talk yourself out of cardio
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:44:32 AM EDT
My gym was little bit more crowded then normal, but not real bad. I was hoping for some more hot bades, but no luck!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:22:40 AM EDT
Big surge in attendance at my World Gym. In my experience, most won't go away until after spring break...or April. It is more difficult to get a good workout in with so many bodies around the gym. As for people who camp out on the equipment...want to punch them! Had two guys leaning over the preacher curl machine for about 20 minutes just shooting the breeze the other day. Not doing any exercising! Unfortunately, they were both bigger than me and I am 5'10" and 240lbs.

The regulars...aka Gym Rats...are a bigger problem in my view for just sitting there like they own the equipment. The Gym management just doesn't care. Just gotta work around them I guess.

Jeff
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:41:37 AM EDT
They are gone & it's not even February.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Glox:
They are gone & it's not even February.

Lucky man. I am still plagued by them
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:35:41 PM EDT
Ekk I went in to the local american family fitness right after new year and there wasnt even standing room. It was really jacked up. There was someone on every machine and another person standing behind them waiting to get on. This includes the free weights. I vowed to only come before 5pm after that. Ever since it hasnt been bad. I have classes all day on tues and thurs but lift 3 times a week. I figured out a way to do my cardio doing running at a local park and hitting the gym mostly for weights. I also have a bow flex so if I mess up and miss a day I always have that to fall back on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:30:17 AM EDT
I'm one of the early morning lifters. We didn't get any this year. Usually we get one or two. Most of the resolvers don't like early morning. Too much work to get up early and do something painful and physical. Evidently the benefits don't outweight the effort. This is fine with me.
Top Top