Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 1:11:01 PM EDT
My family back in Michigan calls me up all the time to tell me about all the shit they pull on each other to piss each other off and drive each other nuts in the build up to holiday dinners. Then they tell me how it isn't the same without me and I should come home for X holiday.

No thank you. One of these days, one of these fuckers is going to snap, and with all the booze and long knives involved in a holiday meal, I don't want to be there when it happens.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh?

I never knew what happened in the kitchen on holidays when I was a kid...my family is Italian and I'm male, which means I'm excluded from any sort of cooking or cleaning duties.

In fact I would get chased out of the kitchen if I tried to get my own pop; one of my female relatives would bring it to me, as is our custom.
Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
haha...........we've had a few of those.    lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I learned to patch drywall before I even got to High School.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The one family member that causes all of the drama is in China and is not coming home for Thanksgiving.  I love my in-laws, but fucking-a my sister-in-law is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Holiday dinners are a congregation of individuals who often really don't like each other very much and but for an accident of DNA, probably wouldn't voluntarily be together.

If your family is the real-life equivalent of the Cleavers, then I envy you.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]

No because they stay at least 300 meters away from me at all times.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Your family sounds like a blast! What time is dinner???
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Huh?

I never knew what happened in the kitchen on holidays when I was a kid...my family is Italian and I'm male, which means I'm excluded from any sort of cooking or cleaning duties.
In fact I would get chased out of the kitchen if I tried to get my own pop; one of my female relatives would bring it to me, as is our custom.

Speed

Sammiches, too??
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Huh?

Speed

it is still my custom.

yeah I am Italian too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a cousin in law that was real dick to most members of the family luckily my cousin smartened up and divorced him, but not before the ass clown took half her savings, because he has his money hid away in the Swiss alps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Speed

Sammiches, too??

Of course; it was the same way at home.

It was hard for me to comprehend that I was expected to get my own drink at a friend's house when their mother was standing right there

I also never understood the concept of saving food for other people. We didn't do that...you were expected to eat as much as possible

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]
nope, I have vastly different views on most things compared to the majority of my family. we just know how to behave like adults....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My two teenage nephews got into a nasty fist fight last Christmas Eve.  It got real quiet for about 20 seconds and then everyone went back to their chatter.  I come from a large Catholic family and the fights are nothing out of the norm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
No.

My family actually loves and cares for each other. We enjoy our holidays together shooting, drinking beer, and slaying deer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you imagine sitting down with the Broadwells tomorrow?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
No, i've come to expect some sort of altercation at family events. We get along like bleach and ammonia,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top