Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:36 AM EDT
If so in what way ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Have a wonderful wife, new kid, better paying job that I enjoy, free school, no cold weather, the best dog a man could have, and no credit card debt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Far better. I'm making a lot more money than I did 8 years ago and I live in a much better house.

Mentally I'm better off as well. I don't take things as personal as I used to. Perspective has been coming with age for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The topic made me think... 8 years ago, I was a few months into my stint at Dell.  I was making about HALF of what I make now.   I'd say I'm better off in that respect.  I do own a house now, but I do have some debt (other than the house).

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep went from a poor slob in school to have a great job, traveling the world, and fixing up my first home.  Life is good.  Plus I have extra money to feed my firearms habit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I may not be better off now than 8 years ago but I know I am doing much better than if Kerry or Gore had been president!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes!

Traded in on a better wife, more money, own my home, very little debt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Financially....no
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
oh yeah many times over

much better paying job, no longer with the crazy ex =), own my own house, have the best dog in the world and have one hell of a gun collection
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, more money and better situation, nicer things.
But not as good as 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
NO!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.

Wonderful wife, super dog, awesome '75 Bronco, bigger artifact collection, more income, better career, I now own an AR, I now own a suppressor, I have a better cardio routine, etc...

Bush didn't help me with any of it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes and no.  In 2000 I had a bad financial hit due to divorce.

My house payments and overall debt are down, but so is my salary.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, definitely.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely.

Own my own home, have 2 healthy, beautiful children, a wife who loves me, make far more money, own 2 cars, virtually no debt...

Far better off.

ETA

Nobody gave me any of it, I did it on my own. And of that I'm damn proud.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.

House, Harley, ATV, wife, great promotion, virtually debt free...

However, I am honestly concerned that the next four years will stall or regress my situation.

If BHO wins, I am willing to bet that will be the case. I would love nothing more than to be wrong though.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, infinitely better off.

I am making twice the money. I was promoted. I own three times the real estate. I am in a new house since then, I own about 21 NFA weapons that I didn't own eight years ago. I have new cars. I am in better physcial shape and have become much more concerned with my physcial condition physical health and personal appearence.
All this combined makes me a very happy person.

All that being said, eight years ago I was living the dream. I just didn't know how much better it was going to get.

I can honestly say that I have it better than probably 99% of the other people in the world. I have lead a charmed life to this point. Hell, unless I suffer some kind of serious setback, I am going to be retired in less than four years at the age of 50.

One HUGE downside: Because I am trying to watch what I eat, be healthier, get in shape, and lose weight I can no longer drink 4-5 pints of Guiness a night and I really miss it. I am not sure the sacrifice is worth it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Better job, more money, new house, almost paid off car, more guns. Much better than 8 years ago
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, I am better off than I was 8 years ago.

What this suggests to me is that the well-being of me and my family isn't a dependant on the POTUS as some here would believe.

I'm better off DESPITE the idiots who run the government (both local and federal).
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
YES!

Land owner, no mortgage/debt
No Bills
Money in the bank
Better Pay
DAY SHIFT!!!
Lots of toys
Future is looking good with an idea of how to get there
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. More money, better state, 2 kids.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]
yes in everyway except I am fat now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
yes in everyway except I am fat now.

Me too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Except for paying more for gas, yes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Much better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Financially, I am much better off.  My eye-sight has deteriorated some, though.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If so in what way ?

You do know the inherent flaws with self selecting polls, don't you?

Answer:

Yes.  I am 8 years older, not in high school, and making way to much for my age/range as a contractor.  Work sucks, but I get lots of money.  I'm mortgaging my future....I hope.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Better worksite and less stress, earning & saving more money, more articles published, better name recognition, house paid off, closer to retirement and my book editor is almost finished.  Yep, things are much better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes.....Making much more than before....wife has an awesome job..with great benifits...kids are just about out of school......yup..Thank-you God..life is good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Doing great, have a new career with great pay, getting married, only debt is low interest student loans, and lots more guns!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#31]
far far better off.  Better job making more money, just got done completely making over the outside/yard of the house, I have no debt, kids and wife are doing great.  Can't think of anything that is worse than 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#32]
YES
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Not even close, way better off!

Paid off vehicles, paid off house, plenty of money in the bank. Making about double the money now, have a second interview Thursday with a company that wants to give me even more money (would also cut my commute time to about 10 minutes)

Yeah, life is really good right now - even with the high gas prices.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#34]
YES

I hit 8 years in the Army next month, I am almost engaged (stupid army), bought my first new card (08 BMW 335i coupe), I have excellent credit, I am mature, and

I OWN GUNS

No really, I am only 26 so I dont have anything to base the last 8 years off of. Ask me this again in another 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes and No  ....

Yes  because it was 8 years ago that I got divorced and handed my Ex
a settlement in the high six figures . just about wiping me out financially .

No because I spent the next 6 years working my ass of to recoup my losses
only to burn myself out in the process , and hurt my health from the stress .

Yes again Now that I've sold my business ( At Cost ) and took some time off .
Last year I took a job doing what I always loved to do , but it's at 25% of what
I was making doing it as the biz owner , but the trade off is my stress level
is ZERO . I work my 40 hours and when I leave work . The job is the furthest
thing from my mind fifty feet down the road . So that part of my life is good

Then No again because of women , or my inability to find one that I'm compatible
with . Some of which is the fact that I'm 48 years old and have learned what
it is that I want in a mate , or better yet WHAT I DON'T WANT !

I haven't totally given up on that quest , but I have cut back considerably
on the effort I once put into it

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If so in what way ?

Yes...

I've finished college, have my own house vs living at home with my parents (I went to college 15min from home), I like my job more, etc....
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#37]
No.

But I'm getting there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Yep!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm better off.  I spent some time poor and scratching around in the dirt, and had time to think and come up with a good plan B.  I'm launching it now and should be flying high by December.

The future looks bright to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Of course.  Since 2000, I have graduated college, married a wonderful woman, helped said woman through law school and embarked on a successful career myself.  We just built our first house and we have no shortage of money due to the fairly simple lifestyle we lead.  Other than the mortgage and her car note, we have relatively little debt.  

Life is good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  In pretty much every way.

Bettter job, more education, more money, less debt, a great wife, lots of cool toys, family is all healthy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Other than being 8 years older, yes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Lets see...

Financially:  8 yrs ago the wife and I could almost qualify for food stamps (and had we not been students we probably coulda got them), this year we are looking at the 35 percent tax bracket and have been there for the last 6 years, currently no car payments or CC debt...so in that dept. definitely a yes...

Family:  8 yrs ago we had just gotten married and did not own a home (paid $450/mo. for a roach infested dump rental), we now have two wonderful boys and almost paid-for house ...so, a yes in that dept. as well.

Spiritually (and most importantly):  So-so...we are currently in between churches and praying and searching that God will tell us where we need to be.

Health:  Been battling mild to occasionally moderate hypertension in the last eight years but seems to be controlled with meds, diet and exercise...otherwise the family and I are GTG, praise God!

So, overall, eight years ago seems like light years to us!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#44]
i have more possessions, my kid's are great, but i'm actually making exactly the same money, but looks like that's gonna change here in a few months. I'll definitely be making less.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes - I got out of a dead-end career that was "up and down" financially, went back to school and entered the medical profession, now make decent (not great, and not really any more than I had before, but it is CONSISTENT) money, wife is making more, our expenses are less, debt mostly paid off, and we are living back in Florida where we belong and not up north where we hated it.

Most of all, I feel like our jobs are secure, I finally have benefits, vacation, and a great schedule (4 days a week, 10 hour shifts) which gives me Fri, Sat, Sun off every week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yes, infinitely better off.

I am making twice the money. I was promoted. I own three times the real estate. I am in a new house since then, I own about 21 NFA weapons that I didn't own eight years ago. I have new cars. I am in better physcial shape and have become much more concerned with my physcial condition physical health and personal appearence.
All this combined makes me a very happy person.

All that being said, eight years ago I was living the dream. I just didn't know how much better it was going to get.

I can honestly say that I have it better than probably 99% of the other people in the world. I have lead a charmed life to this point. Hell, unless I suffer some kind of serious setback, I am going to be retired in less than four years at the age of 50.

Ditto. Now I make more than twice as then, was promoted, own real estate with no debt other than the mortgage, own about 25 NFA weapons (only had 2 eight years ago), and am in better physical shape now (did another sprint triathlon this morning).
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes.

Married a beautiful gun loving woman, who happens to be an attorney.

Bought a house in western Colorado that has gone up ~$200K in about a year.

We both started businesses that are prospering.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Negative. 8 years ago I could still do my job as a Marine/Industrial Tech. Now I am recovering from 2 herniated discs and a blown ACL in my knee. Workman's comp in Florida is teh big suck.

Things are getting better, I can walk normal now after 2 years of misery and no job. Just started riding a bike to get back in shape and rebuild muscles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top