Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 6:58:23 PM EDT
Under Bill Clinton, I was a contract employee who was being taxed to death and lived in constant fear of being downsized. I made very good money, but I did not get to keep enough of it. I lived in an apartment (a very nice apartment), I drove a Volkswagen.

Under Bush, I took a more secure job as a consultant. It my salary is about $7,500 per year less than what I made under Clinton, but I am able to keep more of my money due to the Bush tax cuts. My job is very stable. I now own my own home, I drive a Lincoln.

Without posting my intimate financial information on the internet, I can definately say that I am better off today than I was 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say that I am better off, but only due to my age.  I was 16 in 2000, and now I'm 20 years old, so I'd say that I'm better off than I was four years ago as is any 20 year old about to graduate from college.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I am better off now than I was four years ago. Mentally and physicaly But not better financialy. Had nothing to do with Clinton or Bush. Well it has a little to do with bush just not one named George.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
YES, very much.

4 years ago we had 2 incomes, now we only have mine.  Still better off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Left a choice off your poll.
X - 'Doesn't fucking matter, in the face of 25+yrs of Jihad against the West'

Only One candidate has what it takes to lead us at this time, and his name is George W. Bush.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I am, but that's not saying anything about either candidate.  I was still in grad school 4 years ago.  Actually, it'll be 4 years ago this coming May that I started my first "real" job.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  Got married and bought a house.  More money.  

+ I am in the process of building two assault rifles with flash hiders and colapsable stocks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a good question... but I think you  must also keep in mind what might have happened if "W" had not been in offce.  President Bush is not a Reagan concervative, but compared to Al Gore, he is quite conservative.  Also, with GWB we have not had to listen to "Tipper" for the last several years...

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Four years ago I was working for Enron.  Three years ago I was not.  I'm making similar money now, but I really hate my job.  Enron was at least fun to work for, had excellent benefits, and I never had to fight for the tools to do my job like I do now.  Access to the corporate jet was nice too.  So no, I'm not better off than I was 4 years ago.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife has a better job, with a growing company.  We DID see a nice tax break, that never hurts.  She now works for a company based out of TN and I work for the State, where the pay is the same statewide.  

I think your outlook can be affected regionally as well:

We are in a depressing corner of Ohio, where they are stuck in the 1980's and waiting around for their $25/hour union factory jobs to return.  Instead of embracing change and revitalizing the area and focusing on the tremendous resources the area has to offer they (local gov'ts & liberal voters) keep bickering on how much more local taxes they need to raise and what kind of local social program they need to initiate...

Get out and vote early and vote often!
(like they do in Chicago)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Way better off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Under Bill Clinton, I was a contract employee who was being taxed to death and lived in constant fear of being downsized. I made very good money, but I did not get to keep enough of it. I lived in an apartment (a very nice apartment), I drove a Volkswagen.

Under Bush, I took a more secure job as a consultant. It my salary is about $7,500 per year less than what I made under Clinton, but I am able to keep more of my money due to the Bush tax cuts. My job is very stable. I now own my own home, I drive a Lincoln.

Without posting my intimate financial information on the internet, I can definately say that I am better off today than I was 4 years ago.

Me.  Taxed to death (no kids) and then downsized.  My reality, thanks to Billy Bob.  I moved to a free state and can now sleep with my black rifles.  It is a move I needed to make and I am much better off.  Much less stress.  

........and Billy Bob almost caused my divorce.  That eatin' ain't cheatin' BS didn't fly at the ranch............
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
As a contract employee I paid 50% less tax last year and I am divorced. GW had nothing to do with my divorce though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]
not at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell YES!

We are better off now than four years ago by any possible measure...(Except for my age!).  

In 2000, I was taking a bath in the Market, partly because of the Clinton/Rubin/Reno actions against the Evil Giant...Microsoft.  It led to a nasty recession, cost me about 40% of my portfolio worth and took me three years to catch up.

My gross salary was about $30K under what it is now...and about $50K under what it will be in about 60 days.

Clinton's tax laws sucked about 15% more out of my wallet than before the Bush tax cuts took effect.

We are safer now than in 2000 despite now being at war with Islam.

My country and my family and friends are all better off than in 2000.  Some of my Democratic friends won't admit it...but some do and STILL hate Bush (Mostly for Florida 2000! ) so much they'd gladly suffer the higher taxes and possible worse attacks on America just to get Kerry into the White House.

Anyway...yes we most definitely are better off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
depends on how ya look at it..

then:
I HAD a job making almost 90k/yr
but I also had a shitty marraige and was over weight and stressed out.

now:
was laid off and now I have a shitty job ~30k/yr
divorced, no gf
lost almost $100k in stock (work related)
I'm in way better health
I can't provide for my child the way I would like
I don't have a home of my own

thank you corporate America and the laws designed to "protect" me, oh and the shitty lawyers out there too
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm still only employed part time (very similar job to what I was doing in 2000), but at least now I have a college education and some semblance of a financial plan.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
depends on how ya look at it..

then:
I HAD a job making almost 90k/yr
but I also had a shitty marraige and was over weight and stressed out.

now:
was laid off and now I have a shitty job ~30k/yr
divorced, no gf
lost almost $100k in stock (work related)
I'm in way better health
I can't provide for my child the way I would like
I don't have a home of my own

thank you corporate America and the laws designed to "protect" me, oh and the shitty lawyers out there too

I'll put you down as a Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]
My life has gone pretty downhill in the past four years, so if you could send me back in a time machine, please do.  My life would probably be the same if Gore was in office.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My life would probably be the same if Gore was in office.

i can promise you it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would want to pay out their ass to post on this forum?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought two new cars today sooooooooo, yeah I'd say I am.

AB
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If Al Gore had been elected, you would be facing toward Mecca and praying on a rug!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Gore where in office it would have a negative effect on the long term, but within these past four years it would have no effect on my life.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
How you are doing normally has more to do with yourself than anyone else, including some rich guy sitting in an oval office somewhere. Ppl. are so quick to take the credit for their own success, but when they have problems they are very quick to blame...what does that have to do with our President, regardless of who it is?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#26]

I believe the nation is better off now than 4 years ago.

Too bad 54% of the country thinks we're worse off now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes.  Got married and bought a house.  More money.  

+ I am in the process of building two assault rifles with flash hiders and colapsable stocks.

Are they select fire?  If not, you are not building any assault rifles.

You would be better off to put flash suppressors on them.  I have never seen an AR or M16 with a flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's all those people who went from being high paid tech workers to working at Starbucks after the .com bubble burst.  I predicted the bubble bursting long before it happened, but 9/11 put an exclamation point on it.  You can't blame that on Bush.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all those people who went from being high paid to working at Starbucks after the .com bubble burst.  I predicted it long before it happened.

Yep, and that bubble burst while Bubba was in office.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell yes financially and with my gun rights! On the down side, I am now older, fatter, and balder, but Gore wouldn't have prevented any of that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all those people who went from being high paid tech workers to working at Starbucks after the .com bubble burst.  I predicted the bubble bursting long before it happened, but 9/11 put an exclamation point on it.  You can't blame that on Bush.

Half the country DOES!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I am better off than I was 4 years ago, but it's not because of Clinton, Bush or any other Politician. I'm better off becaus I work hard, and have made wise career decisions, all of this working in Aerospace. I bust my ass to do the best job I can, but I also keep my feelers out in other divisions/industries.

I don't vote based on the way my life is going. It's not like the day after Bush was elected everyone had a job and health ins. Decisons a president makes today may start to effect my life 6 months to 4 years down the road. Clinton's office had the opportunity to take out Osama, they passed. A few years later this(9-11) affected a whole counties way of life.

I vote based on morals, issues and who I think is less slimy and more than likely not going to fuck something up.

Voting based on how one life is going is a knee jerk reaction.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

4 years ago today I was a student, self employed as a computer consultant, and I drove a 91 Firebird. Since I didn't move out & my parents wern't paying a dime towards school, I didn't get any of Bill Cliton's 'Education Tax Breaks', and neither did they...

Today I've graduated, am both self-employed as a consultant AND working for the Bush campaign while I wait to hear from the Army, and drive a 1997 Camaro Z28

I'm definately beter off...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Not living at home, have a car.  Just out of HS for a few months 4 years ago
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Much Better!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes.
I still have my health.
My career is getting better everyday, with a company that has taken a huge hit in the last 4 years, but is stronger financially than any other company in our industry......
My second amendment rights have been repaired slightly, although theres more work to do.
My income is more than it was 4 years ago, increasing more than the rate of inflation.
I just purchased a house 4 months ago that I could not imagine living in 4 years ago.
My debt load is by no means small, but smaller than it was 4 years ago.
I have 2 wonderful children that have been added in the last 4 years.
I have a new pool table.....
And my wife has a career with a company that she loves, making more money than me....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm better off. My time in the DPS Academy is over.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#38]
The problem with the economic downturn occurred on Clinton's watch, it just got discovered and prosecuted by W's administration--so he got "blamed" for Enron and the like.  I'm still better off, better job, better pay, bigger family, done more work on the home, better truck, more guns, still managing to save for retirement.  Yeah I work two jobs, but mama can stay home with the kids and I don't have to pay a day care to raise my children.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top