Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2002 10:18:31 PM EDT
gun into the gun store,to your car,into your home? I was brousing in the local gun shop today and a guy carries in a rifle in a black plastic garbage bag and hands it to the gunsmith to work on I presume. I made a funny and said "another embarrased gun owner trying not to bring attention to himself" huh?! He smiled and said "Yeah really". He was walking into a GUN store so what would anyone think was wrapped up in that sack? I got to thinking I look around when I haul mine out to my truck. I look at whos watching me at the range when I get out.How many here keep the low key-low profile when handling your weapons outside the confines of your castle? Are we loosing the battle here for respectability? Like the tobacco users stigma are we really that close to becoming GUN SCUM?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:26:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:28:44 PM EDT
Thank god I grew up in a different environment. Mostly I get kids on bikes going "WHOA COOOL!"
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:33:49 PM EDT
Before I got a safe I was VERY careful of who's eyes gazed upon my thunder sticks. After my safe,I carry my Beretta or Glock in a outside of pants holster even while mowing the lawn. It really doesnt bother me when the neighbors see me bringing my arms to and from my vehicle when I go to the range,hell I dont even own any cases for my AR's and AK's (just cases for handguns as reqiured by law to transport). I am proud to be a gun owner and I pretty much let everyone know it. [b]Come to take my guns...............I'll give ya the bullets first!!![/b][50]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:36:25 PM EDT
I think it's more like;(gun)people are discreet NOW to avoid a soccor mom 1/4mi away seeing (and frantically dialing 911) a "man with a gun"and having to deal with all that hassle. there are PLENTY of other reasons too.That's just 1 of them IMO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2002 10:40:36 PM EDT by IMHO]
I'm with brouhaha. It may be that some gun owners "hide" their firearms in an effort to conceal their value. Depending on taste, weapons can be quite pricy, and I think that it would be a mistake to advertise ownership of a $1000+ rifle, not to mention an H&H, Purdy, or even Beretta double, to just "anyone" on the street. I guess that this isn't the situation for the guy that you're talking about, 'cause it seems that he doesn't even have a proper protective gun case. I think that some guns should be kept under wraps unless they are in the right company. Has nothing to do with a stigma associated with violence or gun scumminess, but more with being secure and humble.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:41:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IMHO: I'm with brouhaha. It may be that some gun owners "hide" their firearms in an effort to conceal their value. Depending on taste, weapons can be quite pricy, and I think that it would be a mistake to advertise ownership of a $1000+ rifle, not to mention an H&H, Purdy, or even Beretta double, to just "anyone" on the street. I guess that this isn't the situation for the guy that you're talking about, 'cause it seems that he doesn't even have a proper protective gun case. I think that some guns should be kept under wraps unless they are in the right company. Has nothing to do with a stigma associated with violence or gun scumminess, but more with being secure and humble.
View Quote
Very good point !
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:45:14 PM EDT
Ask oneshot1kill about showing your ar in public.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:57:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha: I look to see who's watching when I bring my guns in and out of my apartment. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because I want to know who *might* be scoping out what I have for a potential burglary. That's why a safe is coming next week [:D]
View Quote
Yes, this is the reason for me as I moved this last year and am a little leary of my new neighborhood and I wear a gun every day to work! ha. There is a project down the road where drugs are a problem. Police cruise day and night thank goodness. There is also a "stab and grab" down the street too where weird people hang out. I'm getting my new safe next weekend too! Never felt the need for one at my other place buttttt.....
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:59:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ratters: Ask oneshot1kill about showing your ar in public.
View Quote
Ouch!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:20:11 PM EDT
Most gun thefts are from people in the know,of what you got,as much as i would like to show them off thats where the trouble begins! Have friends that have guitar cases with that foam inside to make a perfect fit for that rifle(wouldn't be much use if the people scoping you out were junkies needing axes for there next gig!) But you got to admit the neighbors will think you are mayby ted nuggent heading to the concert rather than ted nuggent heading to the range!(either way with ted nuggent that would be a hard call!) Yea if you carry and noboby has made you yet, then you are doing it right! Kinda like kung-fu hell you ain't got to let nobody know about it! Not about shame just a little good sense! bob cole
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:34:53 PM EDT
View Quote
Hell tell us now?[:(!]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:09:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kentstate4: Hell tell us now?[:(!]
View Quote
Read all about it: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=68266[/url]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:28:39 AM EDT
I used to carry my rifles to my truck casually and openly while loading up for the range. Now I'm a little self conscience at the "number of times" I need to make that trip to the truck. Bringing a few rifles to the range is one thing... bring an "arsenal" is another. [:D] Really though. I never used to be worried about it. I used to watch people carrying guns into stores all the time for repairs and such. Now they're usually in a locked case wrapped in duct tape, chicken wire, camouflaged to looked like a piece of wood and then wrapped in a blanket. Times they are a changing. I like to try to desensitize my neighbors as much as possible. Hell, maybe one will go shooting with me sometime.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:02:38 AM EDT
Brou's right... I wish a company like Boyt or Galati made pink, purple or yellow gun cases. Or designed a rifle case to look like anything BUT a rifle case! The less people that know I've got a few rifles and pistols in my home, the better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:17:36 AM EDT
Like the others said, nobody needs to know what I own. It's not a matter of being ashamed or scared, but a matter of being safe. I always load up for the range in the garage with the doors closed. In the interest of national security! LOL!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 2:34:07 AM EDT
I always load up my crap inside the garage. No exceptions. Nosy neighbors be dammed!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:09:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BYU:
View Quote
Ouch!
View Quote
And don't forget, oneshot1kill's rifle [b]was[/b] cased! He wasn't walking his dog with it hanging from a tac-sling or anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:16:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha: I look to see who's watching when I bring my guns in and out of my apartment. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because I want to know who *might* be scoping out what I have for a potential burglary. That's why a safe is coming next week [:D]
View Quote
Exactly. I'm damn proud to have the right to own guns, Like brouhaha, I just don't need some scumbag scoping my stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:19:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha: I look to see who's watching when I bring my guns in and out of my apartment. Not because I'm embarrassed, but because I want to know who *might* be scoping out what I have for a potential burglary.
View Quote
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DO! What part of Texas are you in?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:25:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:33:01 AM EDT
Remember-- Its not just firearms. Always be discrete with anything of value when taking it to/from your home. For example-- NEVER throw away new computer boxes out on your curb! That's just advertising to the public that you may have some good stuff worth stealing. (cut them up and stash them with the other trash, but then they may look through your trash too!) Criminals like to cruise through neighborhoods, alleys, trash cans, etc. They look for clues that indicate things they may want to steal. Never leave your garage open either... lock your tools up! If your neighbors see you with something, they may mention it to some friends, and word may get out to someone who wants to steal your stuff. For example, you ask some friends of the family to watch your house. They mention to their son that they are going to check on your house. Your son has his friends over, and they overhear this... These guys have heard about you and your toyz before... now those friends may want to check out your place since they know nobody is home...
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:06:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:49:26 AM EDT
No shame involved, but it does not pay to advertise. I also dont want a neighbor to mistake a legal AR for "an evil machine gun" and have the law turning my house upside down. ARH
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:26:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:51:36 AM EDT
Load up for the range in the garage and cover them with a blanket. It occurs to me that this privacy concern keeps some people from advertising to sell unwanted guns. Anyone feel that way?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:57:11 AM EDT
I live in an apartment and have a couple of Homak steel cabinets, not the best thing but better than nothing. I also own 4 or 5 gun cases and that is ALL any neighbor ever sees. Once in a while I'll take a .22 to the car without a case but that is it. And the pistols are in my range bag. It only looks like I own 4-5 guns.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 3:55:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Energizer: Remember-- Its not just firearms. Always be discrete with anything of value when taking it to/from your home. For example-- NEVER throw away new computer boxes out on your curb! That's just advertising to the public that you may have some good stuff worth stealing. (cut them up and stash them with the other trash, but then they may look through your trash too!) Criminals like to cruise through neighborhoods, alleys, trash cans, etc. They look for clues that indicate things they may want to steal. Never leave your garage open either... lock your tools up! If your neighbors see you with something, they may mention it to some friends, and word may get out to someone who wants to steal your stuff. For example, you ask some friends of the family to watch your house. They mention to their son that they are going to check on your house. Your son has his friends over, and they overhear this... These guys have heard about you and your toyz before... now those friends may want to check out your place since they know nobody is home...
View Quote
Words to live by! I have been drilling this into my family since I've gotten me a few guns. At first they would say I'm paranoid, but I finally got it into their heads loose lips....
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:04:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nightstalker: Load up for the range in the garage and cover them with a blanket. It occurs to me that this privacy concern keeps some people from advertising to sell unwanted guns. Anyone feel that way?
View Quote
Yes, you never know who you're letting through your door when someone answers an add. Just the other day, my step-dad was running an ad for a car. Has no idea who the guy is who called, but is telling him he will be in the hospital all day Monday and that nobody would be there.... He does stuff like that all the time, don't see how he keeps anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:12:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By deadeye47: gun into the gun store,to your car,into your home? I was brousing in the local gun shop today and a guy carries in a rifle in a black plastic garbage bag and hands it to the gunsmith to work on I presume. I made a funny and said "another embarrased gun owner trying not to bring attention to himself" huh?! He smiled and said "Yeah really". He was walking into a GUN store so what would anyone think was wrapped up in that sack? I got to thinking I look around when I haul mine out to my truck. I look at whos watching me at the range when I get out.How many here keep the low key-low profile when handling your weapons outside the confines of your castle? Are we loosing the battle here for respectability? Like the tobacco users stigma are we really that close to becoming GUN SCUM?
View Quote
I have mine in a gun rack in the window of the truck (AR). I carry openly for all to see. What the hell is happening out there?!?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:20:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MAC-DADDY: I think it's more like;(gun)people are discreet NOW to avoid a soccor mom 1/4mi away seeing (and frantically dialing 911) a "man with a gun"and having to deal with all that hassle. there are PLENTY of other reasons too.That's just 1 of them IMO.
View Quote
This is how I used to feel. But now I walk across the street to my car with my guns and I don't give a shit who sees me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2002 4:23:44 PM EDT by Benjamin0001]
Yes, you never know who you're letting through your door when someone answers an add. Just the other day, my step-dad was running an ad for a car. Has no idea who the guy is who called, but is telling him he will be in the hospital all day Monday and that nobody would be there.... He does stuff like that all the time, don't see how he keeps anything
View Quote
I think that is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. I am glad that someone somewhere at sometime GOT TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THUGS,MURDERS,RAPES. This country musta been abosolutely beautiful post WWII from about 48-79 or so. Hell my parents didn't start locking the door until 79. There are still spots of this, but it is never advisable. To bad things have changed. My grandmother didn't lock her doors until 1984 or so. Man, I don't really know if it has gotten anyworse or not, but that is all it is on TV NEws . Local news = IF IT BLEEDS IT LEADS. SO I can't tell if murders and theiving is up or down. I quit watching a long time ago. Ben
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:08:28 PM EDT
Well, I call it operational security. I live in a very liberal town where a guy carrying a gun to the car is all it would take to have the SWAT team called on you. So, since I'm into guitars, I just put the guns in the guitar cases and carry them that way. A soft case for an acoustic guitar can carry a FAL and and AR15 (in its own assualt case) quite nicely. You can even put mags in the outer pocket. It's a little heavy, but the neighbors can't tell from a distance. Just looks like I'm going to to a gig--got all those dufflebags and what not. I also have a Fender hardcase and that thing holds the H&K 94 or one of the smaller carbines nicely if you break them down first. Handguns are a lot easier, of course. I got rid of the plywood target holder that I had made--too many bullet holes in it! Dead giveaway. Right now, nobody pays me any mind, and I like it that way. I don't trust my neighbors--they're the brainwashed sheep types who would have been indoctrinated into the belief that snitching on someone "prevents violence" or "is the right thing to do" and would drop a dime on you in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:19:37 PM EDT
I my rifles and pistols in padded cases just to keep them from getting banged up. It also helps to keep nosy neighbors from prying.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:28:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bobbyjack: Most gun thefts are from people in the know,of what you got,as much as i would like to show them off thats where the trouble begins! Have friends that have guitar cases with that foam inside to make a perfect fit for that rifle(wouldn't be much use if the people scoping you out were junkies needing axes for there next gig!) But you got to admit the neighbors will think you are mayby ted nuggent heading to the concert rather than ted nuggent heading to the range!(either way with ted nuggent that would be a hard call!) Yea if you carry and noboby has made you yet, then you are doing it right! Kinda like kung-fu hell you ain't got to let nobody know about it! Not about shame just a little good sense! bob cole
View Quote
I agree. Bought a "GUNGARD" double rifle case for the specific reason that it looks exactly like a hardshell guitar case.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:30:18 PM EDT
I dont think I would use a garbage bag to go in a dedicated Gunshop. I try to have all of my stuff in a case or load up in the garage and toss a blanket over it all. I have a very nosy and precocious neighbor boy, whos mom could scare maggots off of a dead cow and I think she is a liberal to boot. Since at a distance an AR looks like an M16 I only bring it out of hiding for those who wont freak at the sight of it. Lee
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:48:47 PM EDT
It is a sad fact.. I could care less what people think. But I am worried about theft, only takes one wrong person seeing your toys. As the earlier post said, Most people do think my ar's are M16's. People don't know the difference. When I worked near DC I had two ar15's in the m4 configuration laid opposite each other in a double gun case. You should have seen the people's face when I opened it. Of ocurse the first question was "are they automatic"?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:02:12 PM EDT
I have an old mannequin that has been hollowed out. I stuff the rifles into the cavity and then I grab it under the arms and drag it out to the car and throw it in the trunk. To be discrete I only do this around midnight ;)
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:03:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 12:15:26 AM EDT by 100YARDS]
LMAO Browning !!! Whenever I take a gun into a shop I always have it in a case so that the people at the gunshop don't shoot me because I look like I'm 'attacking' the store. I know that they don't fire without a reason but there is probable a lower level of 'tension'if you have it in a case. I know a family who was attacked buy some guys coming to check out a car for sale.They raped the babysitter.Tell you family (if you haven't already)that as soon as anything seems weird to take measures to ensure their safety...whether that be arming themselves or calling 911 or both.(Preaching to the choir,I know) Better safe than sorry and the police are more than happy to check things out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 4:47:35 AM EDT by Energizer]
Originally Posted By thee12nv: Of ocurse the first question was "are they automatic"?
View Quote
Tell them YES, they are automatics-- Just like your automatic (i.e. "auto-loading") pistol... hehe [;)] They probably meant to ask if its a title 2 weapon, then its up to you to tell them (if it is or isn't) if you want to or not... (The news always hypes up firearms violations by stating "it was an automatic" when it was an auto-loading pistol... they have no idea, but it scares the public and makes the offense sound a lot worse than it really was...) Anyone ever seen one of those automatic guns that jumps up and starts shooting by itself?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:01:39 AM EDT
I remember once at a Dallas Convention Center Gun Show in the smack-dab middle of Dallas, I had purchased two AR-15s and was in the process of leaving with them. Not having a case for them or anything, I simply put each on a shoulder and went straight to my Jeep. Well, there was a Girl Scout Jamboree going on at the same time as the Gun Show, as well as the 'Tom Landry Appreciation Day Parade' in downtown Dallas. So, as I left the Show, I fell in among a group of about 20 Brownies and their two Den(?) Mothers. We walked together about two blocks, through some of the heaviest downtown traffic (for the parade) that you could imagine. I still remember thinking about some hayseeds from the boonies, sitting in their car stuck in traffic. [b]'Hell, Martha, I told you downtown Dallas was a dangerous place to come! Them damn Brownies even got an armed escort with 'em!'[/b] The Brownies and their chaperones never acted the least bit antsy about it. But I bet it did give them plenty to talk about later! Eric The(CarryingMilitaryRiflesInDowntownDallasIsA­Tradition!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:08:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By eswanson: ..my dad had an arsenal when I was a kid...
View Quote
[newbie] [newbie] [newbie] He had a [b]collection[/b]! [:D] -kid
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:08:45 AM EDT
I live in pretty nasty neighborhood in Baltimore County. The less people see me walking in and out with the better. I think a little paranoia goes a long way in making sure I keep my stuff from becoming the local animal's stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:51:54 PM EDT
I'm also with brou: I live in a metro area and don't care to advertise to my fellow apartment dwellers that I have firearms for them to come steal. Hell, my truck got broken into the first night I was here. Even though they're in a safe, I don't want people to break into my apartment looking for guns and decide to take a computer, a TV, etc with them instead.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:37:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARgon:
Originally Posted By deadeye47: gun into the gun store,to your car,into your home? I was brousing in the local gun shop today and a guy carries in a rifle in a black plastic garbage bag and hands it to the gunsmith to work on I presume. I made a funny and said "another embarrased gun owner trying not to bring attention to himself" huh?! He smiled and said "Yeah really". He was walking into a GUN store so what would anyone think was wrapped up in that sack? I got to thinking I look around when I haul mine out to my truck. I look at whos watching me at the range when I get out.How many here keep the low key-low profile when handling your weapons outside the confines of your castle? Are we loosing the battle here for respectability? Like the tobacco users stigma are we really that close to becoming GUN SCUM?
View Quote
I have mine in a gun rack in the window of the truck (AR). I carry openly for all to see. What the hell is happening out there?!?
View Quote
well you are in vermont, right? we are all in the liberal cesspools, we have to be much more carefull whare we are.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:15:10 PM EDT
Hell... I'm real proud of my Homeland security rifle... (not my idea.. but I love the way that sounds) I bet my liberal neighbors would want to get a "Homeland security rifle", "For the good of the children"
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:19:54 PM EDT
View Quote
... Same priciple of parading around town with a Harley Davidson sticker on your truck. ... If you're in your truck then your Harley is at home alone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 9:32:37 PM EDT by Mortech]
Fortunately for me ( unlike poor 1Shot ) I live where I can walk down the road with my AR slung over my shoulder , people drive by without so much as a glance . Added: Hey M-60 I like the sound of that "Homeland Security Rifle"
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:48:48 PM EDT
Yah, I feel ashamed too. I'm scared as I walk out of my apartment and walk to my car with rifle case. Same goes for when I come back from my range session, I first make sure the area is clear before unloading my rifle case from my car. Or just leave the gun in the car and wait for the sun to go down. At my last residence, my neighbor (a girl) caught me and she yells out from her apartment "oh, whatcha got there? I play violin too!" I thought to myself "duh...this (case for 2 rifles) looks like a violin case to you?" I didn't want to say "I got sniper rifle (bolt action) with big azz scope inside" fearing she'll call the cops on me. So I simply smiled and told her yet its a guitar not a violin. ;-) Another time, bunch of female US Marines that live in my apartment complex caught me as I walked out with my range bag, olive drab 50BMG ammo case, rifle case, wearing my black tactical boots. I bet you, they knew what I was carrying into my car. Hahahaha, I kept on loading my car even though I felt their cold stare on my back as they drove off the parking lot. I'm going to the range this weekend (Saturday and Sunday), I hope I don't get caught. Hehehe. I've been caught more with fishing rods though. Hopefully, PETA or tree huggers or whatever don't bitch at me about me killing off the local fish population. Who gives a crap, I can't please everyone, I'm not doing anything illegal, they should just leave me alone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:59:51 PM EDT
When I recently had to put my AR in the shop for repairs. I carried it across the parking lot to the entrance. It was out in the open in broad daylight there was even a law enforcement patrol car clocking people in the lot. When we have to hide thinks from our neighbors and regular citizens, it makes everyone in the nation a little less free. Guns need to be seen, The American people sometimes have a short attention span if they are not shown positive images and press on guns they will just follow the anti-gun TV shows.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:01:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mortech: Fortunately for me ( unlike poor 1Shot ) I live where I can walk down the road with my AR slung over my shoulder , people drive by without so much as a glance .
View Quote
I'm in a shade-of-grey as far as that goes. Sure, I live in the south section of Alabama, but I also live in a "friendly" 18-22 aged apartment complex that's about .25 miles away from the Auburn campus. Of course, I actually practice my offhand holds on the circular window of the Delta Sigma house across the street, but I digress. It's Alabama, so nobody thinks TOO much of it, but I do get looks walking to my car with my AR slung over my shoulder and my HS holstered on my waist. Oh well, screw 'em - I guess I'll be the first one to think of when something bad happens. Of course, it makes me laugh everytime I see the complex notes that go out everytime a "burglary suspicion" occurs, such as "keep your lights on, and go out with a buddy". I hear ya fellas, I go out with my polymer buddy everytime, and it lights up just fine when I pull the trigger...thanks for thinking of me.
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Originally Posted By BYU:
View Quote
Ouch!
View Quote
And don't forget, oneshot1kill's rifle [b]was[/b] cased! He wasn't walking his dog with it hanging from a tac-sling or anything.
View Quote
Am I...missing something here? Somebody put a link up or something, I feel a juicy story comin' on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top