Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/24/2004 1:00:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 1:01:13 PM EST by Penguin_101]
I see democracy all of the time, but I thought we were a republic. What are we?


Main Entry: de·moc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: di-'mä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the U.S.
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority
5 : the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges



Main Entry: re·pub·lic
Pronunciation: ri-'p&-blik
Function: noun
Etymology: French république, from Middle French republique, from Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus public -- more at REAL, PUBLIC
1 a (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government c : a usually specified republican government of a political unit <the French Fourth Republic>
2 : a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity <the republic of letters>
3 : a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the U.S.S.R., or Yugoslavia

Which is it?

Edited to fix title.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:02:25 PM EST
I think we are a Democratic Republic, but what do I know...


ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:04:16 PM EST
Its more of a Republic.

Voting is based in a Timocracy. Not a Democracy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:05:50 PM EST
We were a Constitutional Republic. It's been dragged to a mobocracy by parasites, grabbers and the crooked politicians who cater to them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:08:42 PM EST
REPUBLIC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:09:15 PM EST
We are supposed to be a Representative Republic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:09:44 PM EST
We are a republic....democracy is bad. In a true democracy, one person, one vote, if there are 100 people, 55 men and 45 women, is rape illegal? If 10 people out of the 100 become millionaires, wouldn’t a law pass immediately to confiscate all millionaires’ property and distribute it to “the people”? Republic protects the minority.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:10:13 PM EST
We are a Republic. The founding Fathers (not the "Farmers") felt Democracy was "Ruling by the Rabble". You will find no reference to Democracy in the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:11:01 PM EST
We are a Constitutional Republic; our representatives are elected democratically.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:11:27 PM EST
We are actually a Federal Republic

"A federal republic is a republic constituting of a union of constitutionally recognised self-governing sub-units variously called states (e.g. United States, Mexico), provinces (Argentina, South Africa), Bundesländer (Germany, Austria), or cantons (Switzerland). Each state or district retains sovereignty which is limited by way of its subordination to a central republican authority.

In strict constitutional terms, the states within a federal republic are not independent but inferior to the federal state, which is regarded as the national unit. In contrast, confederations contain states that are to varying degrees independent but which are part of a shared limited larger political entity or which have effective parity of powers and authority with the shared larger political entity. Similarly, states with devolved governmental sub-units are not described as federations because their sub-units have no constitutional right to exist but are created by, and potentially abolishable by, the national parliament."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:12:08 PM EST
Empire in denial?

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:12:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By arjohnson:
We are supposed to be a Representative Republic.



+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:
We are a Constitutional Republic; our representatives are elected democratically.



Wrong.

They are elected Timocratically.

...Otherwise Felons, Foreigners, & Children could vote. And there would be no need to register.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:17:11 PM EST
Then why do history books call us a democracy??!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:18:01 PM EST
Were were created as a Republic, but we are mutating into a reverse Democracy. Instead of majority rule, we have minority rule.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:18:48 PM EST
We are, in practice, a democracy descending rapidly though socialism.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:20:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By arjohnson:
We are supposed to be a Representative Republic.




+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:22:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 1:24:03 PM EST by Jeeper21]

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
Then why do history books call us a democracy??!?!?!



Why did Kofi Anan say the war in Iraq is illegal even though he allowed it to be voted on in the U.N. security counsel? Because the war IS legal by ours & the U.N.'s policy. Nobody voted against us going to war, and with the support of congress, we did.

You cannot always believe what you are told. ESPECIALLY on the news.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:07:59 PM EST
I remember reading that someone asked Jefferson.. What kind of Government did you make us... he replied... A Constitutional Republic.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:08:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
Then why do history books call us a democracy??!?!?!



Because they are written by socialist teachers' unions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:11:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
Then why do history books call us a democracy??!?!?!



Because they are written by socialist teachers' unions.




That's it in a nut-shell...confuse the kiddies, and give them misinformation from the start. We are indeed, a Constitutional Republic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:16:22 PM EST
Consitiutional Republic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:22:57 PM EST
The USA is a Representive democracy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:26:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 2:27:53 PM EST by knightsar]
I pledge allegiance to theFlag of theUnited States of America and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:27:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 2:28:21 PM EST by BigDozer66]

Originally Posted By arjohnson:
We are supposed to be a Representative Republic.



Plus three!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:28:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

Originally Posted By arjohnson:
We are supposed to be a Representative Republic.



Plus three!

BigDozer66



+4
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:30:29 PM EST

I'm sure they don't say the Pledge of Allegiance in schools anymore. God forbid...oops! Can't have God in school either and it's part of the pledge to. If you are old enough to remember saying it, part of it says, "...and to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands. One nation, under GOD...."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:45:13 PM EST
The Constitution established our form of government as a Representative Republic. However, we've fucked with it since 1789, and for all intents and purposes the Constitution has been rendered null and void (I've got quotes from people who should know, including Zell Miller and Antonin Scalia) so we've devolved into a Democracy lightly restricted by the remaining strands of the Constitution designed to prevent what has happened.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:53:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By KBaker:
The Constitution established our form of government as a Representative Republic. However, we've fucked with it since 1789, and for all intents and purposes the Constitution has been rendered null and void (I've got quotes from people who should know, including Zell Miller and Antonin Scalia) so we've devolved into a Democracy lightly restricted by the remaining strands of the Constitution designed to prevent what has happened.



That nearly sums up my feelings on the matter as well. Once upon a time we were a Republic... Now, we are on our way to socialism... one foot in the door IMNSHO. Fear not, fret not, we still have hope, and a man without hope is no longer free.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:04:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By AshNH:
Empire in denial?


Here, let me help with that.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:08:42 PM EST
We are somewhere between a Democracy and a Republic right now.

We started off as a Republic with only our state Reps and US House Reps being elected directly.

Then in the 1920s the 17th? Amendmant provided for direct election of senators.

Now in the early part of the 21st century, we have people clamoring for an amendmant to do away with the elctoral college. At that point, we'll be a Republic in name only.

At that point, kiss your freedoms goodbye and say hello to the nanny state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:54:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 3:55:27 PM EST by PAEBR332]

Originally Posted By FLGreg:
We are actually a Federal Republic

<snip>



Nearly a winner. We are a Constitutional Federal Republic.

Everyone should try reading the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:55:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By markl32:
We are, in practice, a democracy descending rapidly though socialism.



+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:04:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:24:40 PM EST
Constitution states "Republic." NEA, media, the ignorant, etc. say "democracy."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:02:34 PM EST
You went to a liberal high school, didn't you.

You are kidding arn't you?

You really DON'T know?????

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:06:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By sniper1az:
You went to a liberal high school, didn't you.

You are kidding arn't you?

You really DON'T know?????




I knew. I have read it before but I was wondering why people say we are a democracy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:54:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By WI_Rifleman:
REPUBLIC

+1 . Where is the poll?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:58:18 PM EST
Poll added.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:55:01 PM EST
I'd have to say that we used to be a republic until we turned into a corporate oligarchy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:06:16 PM EST
The United States is a federal republic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:12:23 PM EST
In a democracy, 51% of the people can vote to kill the other 49%.

In a republic, there are some basic rules that would forbid this... namely, a Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:48:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
In a democracy, 51% of the people can vote to kill the other 49%.

In a republic, there are some basic rules that would forbid this... namely, a Constitution.



That is beautifully simple and I'm going to use it next time the opportunity arises.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:50:18 PM EST
We are supposed to be a Republic


We are virtually a Democracy
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:52:27 PM EST
We are a constitutional republic....

A democracy is 3 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Seriously, think of all the nations with "democratic" in their name, and how unfree they were/are.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:55:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
In a democracy, 51% of the people can vote to kill the other 49%.

In a republic, there are some basic rules that would forbid this... namely, a Constitution.



Not quite. In a republic the decisions are made by representative chosen from the populace. In a Constitutional Republic those delegates are limited in the scope of their decision-making by the framework of a preeminent document. A majority of a plain republic could also trample the minority's rights. The Constitution limits the scope of those decisions.

If the socialists can convince enough people that we are just a democracy, then eventually the value and importance of the Constitution and its absolute authority over the government can be nullified. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:58:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Forest:
We are a Constitutional Republic; our representatives are elected democratically.



Correct. Representative Democracy.

-LS
Top Top