Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 7:47:22 PM EDT
We spent a week bowhunting elk in central utah (I missed a shot on a cow, I misjudged the distance and shot right over her CRAAAAAAP!!! but that's not the issue)  the problem is that the radios we used to locate each other at the end of the hunts were too loud.  After each transmission there was a beep that was hearable from several hundred yards.

I had this same problem a few years ago and bought a PTT earbud mic. the problem with it was that you had to talk too loudly to make the mic pick you up. It seemed at the time I was thinking that some sort of throat mic would be more useful.  I looked a little but didn't see anything viable.  It seems like now there are a few on the market.

My question is; has anyone used any of these things? Are they any good? Will they pick up your voice at a whisper? I'm looking at one but not sure if it's worth the money and I'm looking for any input on them.

CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are surveillance kits for cell phones/radios obviously designed for another purpose, but if you think about it, its just a different application. Anyway, they are pricey but would allow you to do what you need-communicate discreetly. Check with the shield forum for suppliers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The county purchased a bunch for the TOU here.  They are crap.  Came in all fuzzy and broken up, even at a whisper.

I don't know what kind of mic your setup has, but there may be a better quality one on the market by now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There are good ones, but you'll pay $400-$1000 for the mic, PTT box, and impedance matcher.  I'm gonna guess you don't want to spend that much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
How about cell phones with text messaging?

Probably would be limted by coverage in those "nation-wide networks"

How many pounds of meat (min) would you expect from a cow elk?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Make your own.  It's a contact mic hooked into your standard wiring jack, with a cutout switch if your radio doesn't have VOX capability. Radio shack for parts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]

After each transmission there was a beep that was hearable from several hundred yards.

Obvious Solution: Turn off the "Roger Beep" function on your radio – and while you're at it, consider using an earphone instead of the radio's loudspeaker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There are good ones, but you'll pay $400-$1000 for the mic, PTT box, and impedance matcher.  I'm gonna guess you don't want to spend that much.

What QS said.

www.swatheadsets.com

www.tacticalcommand.com

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Or you can get a set of Garmin 120 WTs and have an auto-locate ability, WT, and GPS all in one.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

After each transmission there was a beep that was hearable from several hundred yards.

Obvious Solution: Turn off the "Roger Beep" function on your radio – and while you're at it, consider using an earphone instead of the radio's loudspeaker.

On this radio (motorola 5820) I can't find any way to turn off the roger;beep function.  Well, I do have a two pound sledge but that would probably fix some of the other features too, like talking, receiving, turning it on an off......

I may try the contact mike route, that sounds intriguing but I wouldn't be sure how to build in and wire the earpiece to he mic jack.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How about cell phones with text messaging?

Probably would be limted by coverage in those "nation-wide networks"

How many pounds of meat (min) would you expect from a cow elk?

The cell phone wouldn't work out there in the boonies. I think when I drove up there I drove for about an hour without cell coverage and that was just to camp. Then we got farther away.

Since I've never actually SHOT a cow elk (still trying) I'm not sure exactly, but on the hoof your average cow elk probably goes between 240 and 450 lbs.  Figure about a 1/3 of that is useable meat, or maybe a little less. So between 75 and 100 lbs of steaks.

Again that's a guestimate.  My brother-in-laws get elk most years and I'd guess that's about what they get per adult cow elk.

Boy it's good venison too, if you ever get a chance for some,  try it out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Does this help you any Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top