Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2016 8:25:02 PM EDT
Just curious.  I don't know anyone who ever won anything, and someone once mentioned most of those business card car drawings are rigged - it's always a cousin or such.  It's not like anyone checks.  I was curious about NRA, who's reputation can be spotty (accusations of cronyism, etc)
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to say I've seen people on here talk about guns they have won at NRA raffles at events. I know it was on at least one of the gun forums I read.

I don't know anyone that has won one of their bigger sweepstakes but to be fair I don't know many people that have won anything too big(other than my old dental surgeon winning the lottery and leaving her job).
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
NRA boasts 5 million members...
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to say I've seen people on here talk about guns they have won at NRA raffles at events. I know it was on at least one of the gun forums I read.

I don't know anyone that has won one of their bigger sweepstakes but to be fair I don't know many people that have won anything too big(other than my old dental surgeon winning the lottery and leaving her job).
View Quote

I won a 10/22 at a friends of NRA banquet a few years back.  All of the "good" high dollar guns/ prizes did seem to be won by people high up in the supporting orgs. Which was a bit . But then again they drew the numbers live and in front of everyone so I don't see how it could have been rigged
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I always forget to send the entry back in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I won a 10/22 at a friends of NRA banquet a few years back.  All of the "good" high dollar guns/ prizes did seem to be won by people high up in the supporting orgs. Which was a bit . But then again they drew the numbers live and in front of everyone so I don't see how it could have been rigged
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those generally tend to be on the up and up - the local ones where they throw everyone's name in the ball, and draw it in front of everyone.  The one's you have to question, are the bigger ones that they send the mailings out for.  It happens, the McDonald's million dollar Monopoly sweepstakes were rigged by one of their executives.  A state lotto was rigged once.  And those are the big ones,with real money that you'd think have some kind of audits and such.  Sweepstakes where you don't necessarily even buy the ticket, but just send in one, or drop a business card, and someone in an office somewhere draw's the winner - like the NRA mailings, those are just ripe for fraud - if anyone is of a mind.  And it seems like someone somewhere is always of a mind...  the car drawing ones from the local dealership are pretty much never legit, from what I've been able to tell.  Since it's "throw in your business card so we can spam you, and you could win a BRAND NEW CAR!!" with no listed rules, etc, are by far the easiest to rig - and not even illegal necessarily.  

I'm not saying the NRA is any more corrupt than any one else, pretty much anyone doing a sweepstakes this way though is one to hold in suspect.  I'm sure the flashlights and backpacks go random generator.  But those top prizes worth 50 grand or more....  You kind of have to wonder.  Especially since they don't even go through the motions of ever even announcing who won.  Why aren't they promoting that?  May not mean anything, the NRA isn't really that good at stuff like this so it could just be ineptitude, but still, you have to wonder...

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
To be fair if I won one of those piles of guns giveaways they do where you win like 20 plus guns I don't know if I'd want them to advertise my name. Seems like a good way to get robbed. Honestly I think most of them would be in the dealers cosigned section as generally a bunch of the stuff isn't that good or just stuff that doesn't interest me(like the Olympic or DPMs rifles or say a bolt action rifle in a caliber I don't already have as I'd rather just use 308).

If I won one of the trucks or something before it came home it would go to a shop to remove all of the marketing stickers put on it. I don't want to drive around in a Jesse James marked jeep nor one marked with pretty much anything else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Last year a members wife won a NRA truck.There was a thread about it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell Id probably have to sell the truck or half the guns anyways to pay the taxes as Im sure its either taxed as income or a gift.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I always forget to send the entry back in.
View Quote

do it online

https://nraraffle.nra.org/

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
An Arfcommer's wife won the NRA Truck drawing.

ETA: Beat
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And only .0000000001% of the people win.
Defiantly rigged.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The NRA doesn't control them. They're contracted out to a fundraising company. If the contest was rigged, it was rigged by the company who contracted with NRA, or whoever else, to run the fundraiser.

If you want to see it happen in person, go to a Friends of NRA dinner. They get some very nice prizes and they announce the winners at the dinner. If it's a gun, it goes back to a local FFL for transfer. Other stuff goes home with the winner. I've seen some nice prizes. The winners were local people who made use of them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes I wonder how many times I am counted.

Surest and quickest way to immortality is an NRA life membership.

But, I've been nominated by my peers for the medal of credulousness, so I've got that going for me. Wayne notified me in a personally addressed and signed letter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hell Id probably have to sell the truck or half the guns anyways to pay the taxes as Im sure its either taxed as income or a gift.
View Quote

On the bigger prices like the trucks I think most of the time it includes a cash price as well to help cover the taxes(on the money and on the prizes).
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#16]
In the legit drawings, usually buried in the fine print, is an address you can write to, to get a list of winners. I don't know if you can get that done via email nowadays though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you see the numbers ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just curious.  I don't know anyone who ever won anything, and someone once mentioned most of those business card car drawings are rigged - it's always a cousin or such.  It's not like anyone checks.  I was curious about NRA, who's reputation can be spotty (accusations of cronyism, etc)
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
An Arfcommer's wife won the NRA Truck drawing.

ETA: Beat
View Quote

Thats what I was looking for!  Awesome!  Asked and answered

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top