Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2006 1:19:46 AM EDT
Because of this thread, I've been wondering.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My mom drives a jeep grand cherokee that she had converted for her work at the USPS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure all subaru can be converted
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen lots of Subaru's converted for postal carriers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeep XJ, ZJ and WJ's are all designed to be setup as RHD.  While they were still in production you could order RHD XJ's and ZJ's right from your dealer.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Remember all Japanese cars are RHD, that is how they are developed. (it's the side of the road they drive on)
They then produce LHD versions.
Same for english cars.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember all Japanese cars are RHD, that is how they are developed. (it's the side of the road they drive on)
They then produce LHD versions.
Same for english cars.
not all Japanese cars are sold in japan.. Some that are made here never will meet there epa standards... I just remember working on a few right hand subarus when I had a shop.. My Partner was dating a rural carrier and her pals would stop in for tuneups and oil changes..
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are there any vehicles that are easily converted to right-hand steering?  

Because of this thread, I've been wondering woundering.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
a full RHD conversion isnt cheap, nor is it a quick process(it can be done in about 2 days with everything onhand.(im talkin 30 hrs, easily)

i have converted 2 hondas and a toyota, and trufthfully ill never do it again unless the pay is outstanding.

usually you need a new dash wiring harness(unless you want to rewire)(sometimes you will need a new engine harness also, i personally rewire engine harnessed... easier IMO)
dash, including dash bars(think entire new dash, some parts are interchangeable but the big stuff isnt.
gauges(some cars have only KM/H and some have MPH, it depends on the MFU.)
steering rack
brackets, sometimes a new crossmember
new brake lines, clutch lines.
some cars may have mounting points in the firewall, some dont, if it doesnt expect some plating or get a set of floormount pedals.

theres a lot more to it, but im not gonna go full into it, as im tired and cant remember everything.

now, i have heard of a few kits that look like drivers ed cars, but thats a bitch i would assume also.

RHD coversions are fairly straight forward if you know a bit about cars, but they take time and serious effort, the latter being time invested in finding parts for the conversion.  if you can buy a front clip, it makes things easier.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember seeing a bit on TV (Trucks?) about the Mercedes Unimog.  Off-road work vehicle.  The thing was awesome.  Anyway, the dash was a couple of bars that went from the right side to the left side of the vehicle.  The entire steering wheel, gauge, and pedal assembly slid on it.  There was even a symmetrical dash cover that would snap in place, whichever driving position it was in.  Changing it over took about 30 seconds, tops.  The whole thing was drive by wire.  Cool as all get out.
Of course, I don't know that a lot of rural mail carriers will be driving unimogs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are there any vehicles that are easily converted to right-hand steering?  

Because of this thread, I've been wondering woundering.

The correct spelling is wondering...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top