Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 8:28:52 AM EDT
Words like "s**t, f**k,d**k seem to be used as common language these days. Hear it on TV once in a while. It seems to be more accepted these day. I must admit I use them occasionally.

Do you get upset/annoyed when when these words are used?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't care.

Words are words.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't care.

Words are words.

+1

Although they are a lazy way to insult
people. I wish that I was quicker on my
feet when confronted with stupidity. Alas,
it is easier just to call someone an
asshole.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
aww fuck man

mebbe this will help you get over it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fuck it!

Good job.

Edit to say, I say them while upset, or just use them commonly even when I'm not. I'm rarely upset, but use them often. They're versatile and are a great way to express strong emotions.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck it!

Good job.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
John Cleese told Craig Kilborn that he was a "son of a bitch" last night.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on context.  If for instance, I am talking to someone from NY/NJ it does nt bother me in the least.  I tends to bother me more if there are women present.  Call me old fashion but I perfer not to use that type of language when women or small children are present.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Not in my family.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Regrettably, yes.

The coarseness of the common language is a sure sign of how society as a whole is floundering...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Regrettably, yes.

The coarseness of the common language is a sure sign of how society as a whole is floundering...

Society itself decides what is vulgar and what is not.

I suppose by that logic society could make the standards so high as to make "poop" a bad word to say, and they'd be doing great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Haha, Let's see:

Fuck
Shit
Damn
Cunt
Dick
Quim
Fags
Dike
Clit
Cock

YOU HAVE BALLS!
ASS!
ASS!
Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls!  They're small, and they don't give a shit!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
It was the same 20 years ago when I was a young teen.  Everyone was fuck this, or fuckin shit, or...  We used to do it because it WAS bad and rebellious.  What has changed is the lack of discipline in the schools that tolerates it.  Where I would have gotten Demerits/Detention, today they just get a 'watch your language'.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Regrettably, yes.

Society itself decides what is vulgar and what is not.

I suppose by that logic society could make the standards so high as to make "poop" a bad word to say, and they'd be doing great.

Hmm, both posts use words that are not precise enough to make an argument.

'Coarseness' and 'vulgar' may be concepts about which a society CAN make judgment calls.

A young lady showing her ankle in a swimsuit 100 years ago was both 'coarse' and 'vulgar' in the dictionary definitions of those terms, but NOT so now.

There is a point at which society cannot be said to be authoritatively setting the standard or any standards, at all.

And that is in my home and in my presence!

It may be better to call such words, 'offensive', since a reasonable person would not utter the word 'fuck' in a courtroom, or in a business meeting, or at any other place where common decency and discretion is expected!

Too many people would be offended, and rightfully so.

At least at this point in our history. At a later date in our history.....who knows?

Eric The(WatchYourMouth,Son!)Hun

Logic dictates my actions, not what society thinks. I don't cuss as much because it's against my own best interest. The woman in a bathing suit argument shows that society just follows trends and not logic.

The only reason I wouldn't say "fuck" in a courtroom, business meeting, or other place where "common decently and discretion" is expected is because it's in my own best interest not to. It's not logical - the word in itself holds no evil, not even malice.

They would be offended because society, parents, teachers, priests, friends, etc. TELL them they SHOULD be offended - not because they're making a logical choice.

Primitive notions of "bad" words are losing ground, and I'm glad. Sadly, this logical movement seems to coincide with illogical movements that actually do harbor immorality.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Fuck it!

+1000
Words are just a series of sounds strung together.  I don't think bad words are profane.  I think the meaning behind the word is profane.  What's the difference between saying "Ah shit" and "Oh phooey?"  They mean exactly the same thing.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
The only morality associated with a word rests between the ears of the person saying it and the person hearing it.

Aside from that, it's just some shapes that represent enome sounds which combined in a certain way may or may not convey a specific concept.

Some people derive the same concept from that combination of sounds, and some do not.

If 'tree' somehow or another formulated the imagery of two people engaged in intercourse, then 'tree' would elicit the same reaction as 'fuck'.

Fortunately for society as a whole, not everyone offends themselves with their own self-inflicted imagery.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Post from Sniper_Wolfe:

Logic dictates my actions, not what society thinks. I don't cuss as much because it's against my own best interest.

How so?

Maybe I should have logically concluded that any young, petite, female attorney that said the 'f' word to me was just trying to make a pass? Hmmm?

The word fuck holds a connotation used to express strong emotion, surprise, elation, etc. Your interpretation should depend on usage, context, and knowledge of her attitude.

The only reason I wouldn't say "fuck" in a courtroom, business meeting, or other place where "common decently and discretion" is expected is because it's in my own best interest not to.

Then your logic tells you that there are some words that are so offensive that your interests are best served by not saying them, right?

Absolutely - I don't say them that often because if I offend someone they may use it against me (judge rule against me, authority figure punish me, etc.).

It's not logical - the word in itself holds no evil, not even malice.

Well, that a pretty stupid thing to say, isn't it, D***f**k!

Oops! Forgive me, but I know you will, for that name that I called you holds no 'evil' or 'malice' in your philosophy!

Any malice there would be attributed to the usage, not the word itself. It holds absolutely the same malice as calling me an idiot does, except that the connotation held shows more contempt.

They would be offended because society, parents, teachers, priests, friends, etc. TELL them they SHOULD be offended - not because they're making a logical choice.

You mean that if 'D***f**k' was an Old English word that had fallen into disuse and was suddenly revived as an offensive epithet, it would take several generations of usage before folks determined it was a rude thing to call others?

Tell me, you're a Star Trek fan, aren't you?

I've never seen an episode of Star Trek in my entire life. However, I've seen enough jokes about it to understand what you're talking about. I mean that authority figures control language because they wish to exercise control. There can be nothing inherently bad with a word - a simple collection of letters.

Primitive notions of "bad" words are losing ground, and I'm glad. Sadly, this logical movement seems to coincide with illogical movements that actually do harbor immorality.

Well, Mr. Spock, primitive notions of 'bad' words might be losing ground, but they will always be replaced by new 'bad' words, that you STILL won't be able to say in front of judges, business associates, and your children!

As illogical as that may appear to you.

Eric The(BeamMeUp,Scottie!)Hun

Sure, one day there might be more bad words. But the trend that is currently taking is towards urban culture, something I wish to have nothing to do with. So I'll be content with knowing that most cuss words will be relatively accepted by the time I'm middle-aged.

And you are quite correct, Mr. Hun, it does appear illogical to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top