Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Wal[:)]Mart is the Devil...

But at least they have good prices [;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont forget the CARDS for supposed discounts. They really track your purchases, I can't wait till some freak is put away for life becasue the day his wife dissappeared the store has records of him buying clothesline, trashbags, duct tape, and a big serrated knife "He saved $3.78!!!"
I always sign up with a fake name anyway. I hate Costco for that reason.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dont forget the CARDS for supposed discounts. They really track your purchases, I can't wait till some freak is put away for life becasue the day his wife dissappeared the store has records of him buying clothesline, trashbags, duct tape, and a big serrated knife "He saved $3.78!!!"
I always sign up with a fake name anyway. I hate Costco for that reason.

View Quote

LOL bro, Costco is evil Aye.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#6]
HEB in south texas has Waaaay too much power.

I aint kiddin
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Those discount cards?  "Sure, put me down for one.  My name? McCracken...Phil McCracken"
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HEB in south texas has Waaaay too much power.

I aint kiddin
View Quote

HEB is just another huge international corporation now. They monopolize the market.  1 company controling what food is available. Taht's the ONLY grocery store here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
All your vegetables are belong to us!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Supermarkets?  Uh, guys, they stock what other companies make.  They are the middle man and certainly hold no more power than say a liquor wholesaler.  

It's Kraft and General Mills that controls what we eat!!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Supermarkets?  Uh, guys, they stock what other companies make.  They are the middle man and certainly hold no more power than say a liquor wholesaler.  

It's Kraft and General Mills that controls what we eat!!!!
View Quote

Umm no- the store decides which products consumers can even choose from. There are a number of products that my store won't carry because they make more money of their in-hose 'store brand' They charge slotting fees to the wholesalers/distrubtors- so they don't care if the national brands run out and the shelves never get restocked-because then the customer is again forced to buy the store brand. It's not like I have 3 or 4 food stores to choose from. What else do you call '1 choice'?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.Too powerful.

The Ralphs near my house no longer discounts the rotisserie chicken from the hot deli every night.

It's every other night now.

I hate having to only save 2.50 every other night instead of nightly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually the stores don't "decide" what goes on the shelf.They sell shelf space to the highest bidder.

As far as store product and other companies products,its all supplied to the stores from the same warehouse.The warehouse buys the product and distributes to the stores.

As far a store brands,many are made by the name "brand name" companies making similar products and vic/versa.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually the stores don't "decide" what goes on the shelf.They sell shelf space to the highest bidder.

As far as store product and other companies products,its all supplied to the stores from the same warehouse.The warehouse buys the product and distributes to the stores.

As far a store brands,many are made by the name "brand name" companies making similar products and vic/versa.
View Quote

Was it me or did you contradict yourself??
The store ALWAYS decides what goes on their shelves. They control who puts products in. If they don't want a particular national product in their stores- it doesn't go in. HEB is different then most grocery chains. Based in Texas, close to a lot of the ag production area and mexico. They also have stores in mexico- international grocery chain- what you got?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
It was you[:)]

If deciding who's gonna pay them the most money than you're right.

What you got?..........Meaning what?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes.Too powerful.

The Ralphs near my house no longer discounts the rotisserie chicken from the hot deli every night.

It's every other night now.

I hate having to only save 2.50 every other night instead of nightly.
View Quote

Rotten Cheeky Monkeys!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those discount cards?  "Sure, put me down for one.  My name? McCracken...Phil McCracken"
View Quote

They dont give a rat's ass what your name is, but they do want to tie in your demographics with your purchasing patterns.  So you are a 37 yo man with a 45,000 income?  I bet you checked boxes like this when you picked up your card.  

Your address? From census data 90% of homeowners there are married with a 75k household income.  They also have 3.3 kids.  Guess what kind of flyers the ad guys will be sending you.  

If you buy all your stuff using your card, they can infer more about you than what you know about yourself.  Hell, we don't need a number of the beast tatooed on our foreheads.

I had a ball buying a pack of smokes for a freind of mine using my Safeway card.  I hope I fried some circuits when they fed that info into their database.  Wow!  A new smoker!  Better stock more matches and pork rinds, or what ever smokers munch on.....  Get the idea?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top