Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 3:40:54 PM EDT
Opinions?

Reasons?

I know that SS guns are more rust resistant, but enough to justify the extra costs?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you able to clean and oil your carbon guns in bad weather often enough?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mean to hijack your thread, merely to add to it.

What about stainless steel / bitone pistols (I'm thinking Springfield XD, if that makes a difference.)? Does Stainless steel slides wear better? Or is it mostly a cosmetic difference?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Some guns are black (coated) and are stainless steel.  I like SS, it is less likely to rust or corrode and I have had good success with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Stainless is a bit harder because of the chrome in it, so it should last longer.  It also seems to clean up easier; I am not sure why.

I always get stainless.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to be sweating on it (carry gun, etc), go stainless.
If you're going to only take it to the range and put it back in the safe, go whichever you think looks better.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer parkerization myself. Stainless is very tough and corrosion-resistant (NOT rust-proof). I do, however, like the qualities of park over stainless.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Stainless sucks.

Go for gold plated if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Stainless is harder and wears better as well as resisting corrosion.  As to the bitone XD, it is stainless over plastic.  (All XD frames are plastic/composite or whatever you want to call it)  Therefor, the frame material is irrelevant.  The metal parts are stainless and will resist corrosion better than blue.  Having had a blue gen 3 XD, I can tell you that their coating sucks IMHO.  I had a lot of wear at all the corners.  For show guns (which is a waste of money to me) I would go with a true blue.  For actual use, go stainless or black stainless.  The black stainless is not a coating, it is a chemical toning of the steel and will not wear off like blue will.  I personally love my Springfield 9132L in stainless....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
i just bought a stainless 10/22.  for only $20 more, i figured it was worth it if it can stand up to a bit more abuse.  i want this rifle to last decades and still be like new.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Living here, I'd have it no other way.  That's just my opinion and it works for me.  The only non-stainless guns I own are my AR, and 2 snubbies-one of which has been to CCR-Refinishing and one that's going when the extra funds are available.  Their black-satin GunKote is incredible and it's looks like factory work.  

The rest are stainless, and my wife's CCW is a black-stainless P239.

HH
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Opinions?

Reasons?

I know that SS guns are more rust resistant, but enough to justify the extra costs?

The cost difference is, in most firearms, less than your ammo outlay for six months.  And that's if you don't shoot much.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I carried a stainless Smith in an inside leather holster in the Arizona desert for years...lots of salty sweat...and never any rust or discoloration. Only clean up was an occasional wipe down. Good stuff, worth the money if you carry ccw or are in high humidity area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Heat treatable stainless steel is not as corrosion resistant as some think.  They compare it to boat hardware, but that's a different alloy.  However, it is still far better than carbon steel is in resisting corrosion.  This is why true marine grade shotguns are carbon steel but plated with a REALLY resistant alloy coating.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top