Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2013 8:07:00 PM EDT
I get that you want a proper fit and Snell and DOT certs. But beyond those do some do a better job of protecting you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Helmets are an abomination to safety and clearly the more of your head is covered the less protection you have.

<edit> Buy one that's not made like crap and it will protect you just fine.  Better is better fit/finish/longer lasting/prestige, but after about $250 the protection-to-dollar ratio levels out FAST.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably, but it's hard to quantify.

My Shoei, full face, is all that, but is also 8 years old.  I've read that they degrade with time and should be replaced periodically for maximum safety.

I'm not quite buying it, but there is now a seed of doubt in my head.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think that any helmet regardless of price that comes with a DOT certification is going to protect you as well as the next one with the bigger pricetag.

The next one with the bigger pricetag however is going to have different features like better ventilation, removable liner, more comfortable strap, etc  that cause it to be higher priced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You do get what you pay for. I have crashed in a few helmets(racing) and good ones do much better. You don't need to spend $900 on a custom painted one, but don't think a $89 motorcycle shop POS is a s good as an Arai.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoei FTFHS!( for the fucking head save)
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy a new helmet each spring when they are on sale.     The racer guys that I know seem to have more fit preferences rather than saying one is less safe than another.

I feel good going w/ a name brand...  I really like the modular style, so I think I'll get whatever is new in that type.

I got the new Bell modular last spring, so if they came out w/ a slightly different model, I'd try it, else I'll get a different brand to compare.

There is a helmet superstore that puts out really good comparison videos.   Maybe search for some pro reviews like that?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
A $50 AFX helmet is nowhere near as good as a Shoe, Arai, or even an Icon.  With most cheap helmets, you can visibly deform the shell just by squeezing it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It's been a long time since I've looked into buying a helmet.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I do recall there being a mention of DOT helmets being slightly safer for street use, where as a DOT/Snell rated helmet is better for high speed get offs. Something about the foam in a Snell helmet being harder to take a high speed hit and a DOT helmet being softer b/c it's only really tested for low speed accidents.

I'm not a 100% sure  about that, but if you Google it you might hit on something.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
To be honest, there is a school of thought that says snell is actually worse for you. Snell helmets have to be much harder to pass a certain test where they drop the helmet on a metal ball, and that causes more trauma. ECE rated helmets are arguably the safest you can get. Even after saying this I still ride a bell star that's snell rated but I am a firm believer of the ECE standard and my next lid will only be that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To be honest, there is a school of thought that says snell is actually worse for you. Snell helmets have to be much harder to pass a certain test where they drop the helmet on a metal ball, and that causes more trauma. ECE rated helmets are arguably the safest you can get. Even after saying this I still ride a bell star that's snell rated but I am a firm believer of the ECE standard and my next lid will only be that.

That issue was resolved with the 2010 Snell certification and isn't an issue any longer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Does HJC make quality helmets? They don't seem to be complete bargain basement, but they aren't Shoei or Arai priced either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, HJC makes quality helmets. They are very good helmets for the money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does HJC make quality helmets? They don't seem to be complete bargain basement, but they aren't Shoei or Arai priced either.

Best bang for the buck IMO.  I own several.  Just make sure they fit.  A poor fitting helmet isn't worth the money you may save.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Most brands are made from the same Blank helmet. Like blank surfboard or snowboards. I suggest you get the one that fits you best.

I have a shoei that fits me best. I do love the optically perfectly clear face shield though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you all, this has been helpful.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I wear an HJC. Price was nice but the fit was tits. I like modulators but most of them Don't have enough room front to back for my head to fit right. I wind up with the chinbar trying to occupy the same space as my lower jaw. The HJC fits me. If the other more expensive models fit me than I might have gone for them. Spend the money for quality, good fitting gear and you'll not only be more comfortable but a better rider as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm still trying to determine if these helmets have a shelf life.  If you do a search for "motorcycle helmet shelf life" all you get (as far as I have seen) is internet chatter that they're only good for 3 years or some such, but no solid evidence either way.  Unless I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I get that you want a proper fit and Snell and DOT certs. But beyond those do some do a better job of protecting you?

Of course.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was actually wearing an HJC that was only about $130 otd when i laid my bike down last year.

Smacked my chin into the pavement at around 40 mph and the helmet did its job very well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top