Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2001 5:07:01 PM EDT
I was in the toy store the other day and a leo was there "slamming s&w " I have a few auto's  and love them Of course they are pre sell out and thats a different story. Just your thoughts. [):)] pg
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I like there Revolvers, never to crazy about the autos though. I always though they were alittle blocky. Sigma series are crap, i had the 380, shoulda bought a Jennings. I still wouldn't give up my model 60 though
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W made some of the best..I had a Model 23...the finest revolver I have ever owned..as far as auto's I don't know
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a broken 422.  It's probably had 20,000 rounds through it by now, but it just wont fire with a live round in the chamber while switching magazines.  That's a minor defect for something I use for plinking and teaching others to shoot, but I'd hate to think of relying on a defective gun like that. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Reports on the "Smegma"?  Reliability?  Accuracy?

9mm?  DaMan
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know if you are joking or not but Smiths will not fire unless the magazine is in the gun. But all in all Smith makes good revolvers.

Six
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Reports on the "Smegma"?  Reliability?  Accuracy?

9mm?  DaMan
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion the only good autos s&w ever made were the model 41 and 52 (competition guns)

their revolvers have always been top notch,
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
When compared to the quality big name manufacturers of semi autos ie; Sig, Glock, Walther, Colt, H&K, Berretta, S&W, Ruger etc. I place Ruger on the bottom of the scale with S&W next up. I love their revolvers. I used to carry one on duty until we switched to S&W semi autos in .45 ACP. S&W semi autos aren't junk but they are a far cry from reaching the quality of their revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have (recently obtained) a S & W Model 28 and have had for a while a Smith 1006 and 1026.

I would not buy another Smith Auto--the quality is OK (not great, but not poor either), and only got these as they were in my favorite Caliber 10mm.  For the money, a S & W comes in a distant second to Glock, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, etc.  If you want a comparable quality (finish isn't as great, but they work just as well) much cheaper go Ruger.  Don't get me wrong--I like the Ruger's as inexpensive workhorses--kind of like that beat up pickup truck that isn't pretty to look at, but keeps on running.  

The Smith Revolvers are what they should have stuck to.  When the Police went Auto, S & W would have been MUCH smarter to work with Walther and just put their name on the Walthers at that time, rather than what they did with the Model 99.  The revolvers are VERY nice, and are probably some of the best reasonably priced guns out there.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 5906 (I think that was the model?) many years ago.  This is a blue 9mm model.  This was my very first firearm in my adult life.  It was just OK.  Finish was OK.  Accuracy was OK.  Didn't like the safety.  Was a bit clunky.  Overall feel was just OK.  Sold it within a year.  Glad its gone.

I also had a 686 .357 Magnum; stainless, 6" lug barrel.  Bought it used at a very reasonable price.  Cylinder still very, very tight.  Topped it off with a red-dot.  Loved it.  Kicking myself that I traded it, because that was the only wheel gun I have ever owned, and I really wish I had one right now in my collection.  Unfortunately, there are many others on my wish list before I buy another wheel gun.  Maybe some day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My S&W "Smegma" (a Glock wannabe) was a piece of crap when I bought it. After getting it back from the factory for the 4th time, it now functions flawlesly.  It's a good gun now but I wouldn't recomend it after all the problems I had with it. The only good thing about it is that if feels better in my hand than the Glock and I find the magazine and slide release are more comfortable to operate. Glocks trigger feels better though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Anything new from S&W basically makes me puke.

Only handgun from them that I like at the moment is their 629 "Stealth Hunter" that has the OD Green teflon finish, it's a Performance Center gun though so my chances of ever seeing one in Ca. is likely no chance in hell.

I can't stand the current crop of stainless steel political correctness that they've turned their entire revolver line into, unless you consider their Performance Center guns which includes about 3-4 very expensive blued guns.

That's why I'm only interested in older S&W revolvers if you can find them in like new or NIB condition, they are likely mechanically more sound and better fitted than what you'll find with the current S&W lineup and the older S&W revolvers have some of the more classic features that you simply don't find anymore.

I'm driving 2 hours tomorrow to go look at a couple of N-Frame S&W revolvers and I'll likely be buying a 27 while putting money down on either a 45Long Colt M25 or a 44Mag M29.

That's my tough decision guys, should I go for the 45LC or the 44Mag?   They are likely identical in barrel profiles and outward appearance both are 6 inch barrels as well, I'd like to get all 3 of the guns I'm interested in but can't afford to drop 1600+ dollars on 3 guns right now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My very first handgun was a 5926. Actually I bought that over a CZ, based on the dealers opinion. Boy, did I get robbed! The 5926 is the biggest POS that I have ever seen. It was 9mm, in the S&W standard gun grey. It was pretty heavy, so I figured it would absorb most of the recoil of the 9. I took it out to the range and at 25 ft, printed a 6 inch group. I was starting to think it was me, until I picked up my friends Sig 226 in the 9 and shot out the center of the target. I had probably been shooting for 6 months with my friend's Sig, and I always seemed to have done really well, so I didnt think it was me. My friend fired my gun to similar results. I had a gun smith take a look at it and he shrugged his shoulders. "Its a smith....what do you want?" I kept it for another couple of months, one of the trigger springs broke. The smith wanted to charge me for the repair, so I figured I would ship it back to S&W and have them repair it for free. 39 days later the gun came back. It was fixed. The factory guy test fired it. But the jackass didnt clean my gun when he sent it back! The groupings never got better, so I sold it for a 92FS. First shot out of the Beretta was center target, so I knew I made the right choice. In my opinion, since I had a smith and I have delt with S&W's factory, quality and caring are NOT a smith attribute.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's my tough decision guys, should I go for the 45LC or the 44Mag?   They are likely identical in barrel profiles and outward appearance both are 6 inch barrels as well, I'd like to get all 3 of the guns I'm interested in but can't afford to drop 1600+ dollars on 3 guns right now.
View Quote

First off GET THAT 27 IN YOUR HOT LITTLE HAND!
Now that we have that taken care of, are you shooting or collecting? I have had both of the other guns and I had a BALL playing around with hand loads in the 45LC. You can get .44 MAG performance with a heavier bullet, and the gun will take anything reasonable that you put in it. If you are collecting,the 29 might be the one to have. (Feel lucky punk?)
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't worry [:)]   I'm making the trip for the 27s first, there are a couple actually but the one I have my eye on is a 5 inch barreled blued 27 that is closest to what my 38/44 is(if has a 6 or 6 1/2 inch barreled 27 then that's what I'll get).   I'm pretty confident that these guns will be 27-2 types so they should have pinned barrels and recessed cylinders, I'm hoping the bluing will be of a quality worthy of what my 38/44 has remaining on it's barrel and frame.

Any of the guns I buy will indeed be shooters even though they are NIB.   The prices I'm seeing are entirely reasonable and I'd much rather have these older guns and shoot them than one of the newer guns, the stainless guns made currently turn my stomach and especially when I see the stupid locking feature in the side of the thing.

The tie breaker between the 45LC and the 44Mag will likely come down to whether or not the 44Mag is old enough to have recessed cylinders or not, that will make it a little more desirable to me and to also have it match the 357Mag to some degree.   Like I said, I'd love to get all three guns but only time will tell, maybe in 3-4 months the guy will still have the 3rd gun that I didn't buy laying around waiting for me.    I just don't know whether it will be the 45LC or the 44Mag that makes my heart go pitter-pat, I want a large bore revolver that's for sure but between the two I can't say for sure as they are so close to eachother but only slightly different that it isn't funny.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W guns are still high quality products, it's just that the executives over there are Communist traitors.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got a Mdl 59 Smith & Wesson that purs like a kitten. Might be an exception to the rule but it's accurate and reliable with a smooth trigger pull.

And with the Magazine cutoff plunger and spring removed it WILL FIRE without a mag in the well.[:D]
View Quote

Got one too.  It's no target pistol, but it's reliable and groups OK.  Apparently your trigger has been worked on though...  mine has about 1/3" of slack in single action mode!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Only junk if you don't own one. Mine is sweet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Never been a fan of their autos, although some before the sellout were good quality.

Their revolvers are AWESOME, in my opinion.  Especially the ones from the mid-80's and older.  I shoot a 1972 Model 19 that is incredible.   The trigger is superb, and the booger is ACCURATE AS HELL.  As long as they are taken care of properly, their combat magnum pistols will last indefinitely.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#23]
 I own 3 S&W guns . I love em all .
 I have 2 Mod 59s and an old Victory model .
All function great . Though I don't shoot the Victory much anymore .
 I also have a Taurus 357 I want to trade in on a Smith Wheel gun .
 I have never owned a Sigma and will not but even my Mod 915 was good . Finish was just a bit rough on that one though , but after 2000 + rds that is ok with me . When I sold it it still purred .
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]
S&W are all ugly and feel like dog shit! yep I dont like them!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a S&W 469 9mm back in 86 and it has lots of rounds through it without any problems. It is not junk.
My only malfunction was with Wolf ammo.... No more Wolf 9mm for that gun.

I wanted to upgrade to a .40cal S&W 4013TSW but my local gundealer will not do business with them so I had to buy a  SIG 229.......I prefer American made firearms if possible.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I happen to like the S&W Sigma .380, but perhaps I just got lucky with mine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
It seems to be fashionable to slam S&W autos.  

I own three: 6906,622, and 4506.  I like them all.  The 4506 is extremely accurate and has the best DA trigger of any SIG, Beretta, or any other auto I own.  

S&W autos tend to be somewhat complicated internally but I have had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#28]
My 686 357 has MOB (Minute of Beercan) accuracy at 100yds. Drives the auto guys nuts at the range. Seems everyone I let shoot it wants to buy it......
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Smith Centerfire Revolvers are good stuff.
Smith model 41 rimfire auto is also good stuff.

The rest is Crap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#31]
All of my S&W auto owning friends ( except the 10mm guy) have dumped 'em and moved into real guns, GLOCKS. In my circle of friend we also have a saying. "Ugly as a Smith Auto." As in: " Your sister is as ugly as a Smith Auto, but she's got a great personality." They are also referred to as "Gallupian" and "Brick on a Stick."
S&W revolvers are great, but the Colt Python still kicks the ass offa 686!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Well I have a 915 and a sigma in 40 NEVER have trouble with either one. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmm. Would I buy another YES It makes me wonder why all the dislike of the auto. As for glocks I personally think they are VERY OVER RATED  and over priced SIGS very nice  FLAME AWAY kids .pg THE HAPPY S&W OWNER [):)] nothing like startin a flame fest early sunday morn.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As for glocks I personally think they are VERY OVER RATED  and over priced SIGS very nice  FLAME AWAY kids .  
View Quote

Theres just no accountin' fer bad taste!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Outstanding revolvers.  Own one smith auto, a 422.  Great gun for screwing around and relatively acurate, BUT, you gotta keep it clean or it wont feed right.  Still wouldnt get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Yawn...Whats the differenc between a S&W 686 and a Colt Python.....About $400.00.

I own both...Do you??? [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
S&W guns are still high quality products, it's just that the executives over there are Communist traitors.
View Quote

Not anymore, they have new execs.  

People who won't buy Smiths and want them to go out of business are just stupid.  If you don't want to buy a gun from a company that has rolled to gun-grabber pressure, don't consider Rugers, Colts, or Glocks either.  Glock is the PC gun personified.  Colt made their AR-15s more PC even before the AW ban.  Ruger had that little problem with the magazine limits.

Get over it.  Businesses do what they need to do to ensure their survival.  Granted, these guys haven't looked at the long term by ignoring some of their customers, but they did what they thought would allow them to stay in business.  

Incidentally, the only companies that haven't rolled to liberal pressure at some time are the guys who make "sporting arms" that good people use for hunting.  Remington and Winchester don't make evil rifles and they don't make handguns, so they've never really had to worry about the gun-grabbers.

"Do what you will,
just don't think that driving an established company who produces a quality product out of business will accomplish our goals."
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I happen to like my Sigmas.  I have three in .40 S&W.  All function reliably with the only change made being the polishing of the feed ramp and dry film lube inside the magazines.  They made a mistake with the first ones.  They were ugly.  Bad ugly, not good intimidating ugly.  The newer "E" Series look good and shoot very well, and the "G" series with the green frame and all black slide and barrel with gold-tone laser etching erases the "Ugly POS" image they started with.  

Saf-T-Hammer of Scottsdale, AZ bought S&W in May 2001 for $15 million.  The sellout?  The new owners appear to be ignoring it.  Without the Clinton Administration to stand up and enforce it, it appears to be just about dead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All of my S&W auto owning friends ( except the 10mm guy) have dumped 'em and moved into real guns, GLOCKS. In my circle of friend we also have a saying. "Ugly as a Smith Auto." As in: " Your sister is as ugly as a Smith Auto, but she's got a great personality." They are also referred to as "Gallupian" and "Brick on a Stick."
View Quote

Oh yeah, Glocks are real pretty aren't they?  Can you say COMBAT TUPPERWARE?  

I've owned a couple of Smith pistols.  I got one of the first 39s, later I bought a 59.  My wife carries a 4516.  The only problem with these pistols is that the bore is so damn high.  Finish, quality, accuracy, and reliability are all great.

Revolvers are par none.  They are simply the best out there.  I do agree that the Python is a great gun, but just try finding one now that Colt has given up the civilian market.  Try getting one serviced by Colt.  S&W never had problems with customer service, even during the Deal With The Devil period.

"Do what you will,
just don't use one event to unfairly lump criticism on a great product."
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I own both...Do you??? [>:/]
View Quote

Nope. Just the Python. My cousin had a 586 and there was just no comparison for me. Who, me? Gun Snob? yes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 4006, and while the trigger is crappy, all in all it's a good gun. It's stove-piped on me a couple of times, but this was towards the end of a long session and I know I was limp wristing at that point. It has a good feel -- solid and sturdy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Back in the mid-80s I had two S&W revolvers, two Colt revolvers, one Ruger and one Iver Johnson.

The only one with proper timing was a 1921 manufactuer S&W M1917.

S&W revolvers are some of the very best.

I've never owned one of their autos, only fired several that belonged to friends.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Mattja,

My 4006 went back to S&W when the trigger developed 4 stages.  It came back as perfect as a 3rd generation S&W could be.  They even changed the exposed hammer for a bobbed one for free.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I always liked there wheel guns. Used to carrying a Mod 65 on duty then changed over to a round butted 686 that was ported and was converted to a round mainspring. I then bought a 469-OK gun so-so. Then I bought a 226 SIG. I then considered the 469 sub-standard. Some of our guys carried 469's until two of them stove piped at the same time as a suspect tried to run over them in a parking garage (violent fleeing felony). They sent the guns back with the incident report of what happened. The guns were replaced at N/C and they sent extra new improved recoil springs to replace any other 469's spring that our officers had. They also sent the officers coupons good for any S&W pistol they wanted-excluding engraved models. The both opted for the 4506? stainless 45 auto. They worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mattja,

My 4006 went back to S&W when the trigger developed 4 stages.  It came back as perfect as a 3rd generation S&W could be.  They even changed the exposed hammer for a bobbed one for free.
View Quote

Four stages? That's all? Mine feels like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together. :) Who did you contact and how did you arrange it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#46]
No.  At this time, I have three S&W revolvers and a 4566 auto in my personal inventory.  All are flawless performers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Haven't really checked out the newer Smiths, but both my old revolvers (686 & 15) are accurate and reliable.  The only Smith auto I ever owned was a model 59 back in the mid/late '70s.  It was reasonably accurate, and ultra reliable.  The only time it ever faltered was when my wife limp-wristed it.  It even handled light loads and cast bullets without a hitch.  IIRC the trigger was about average for a double action auto.-TR
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I dont know if you are joking or not but Smiths will not fire unless the magazine is in the gun. But all in all Smith makes good revolvers.

Six
View Quote

The Sigma will fire w/ the magazine removed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:28:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Instructor for FBI Correctional facilities in Dallas area informed me several years ago that all S&W autos were to be replaced. Apparently after several thousand rounds guns began to develop cracks in slides and frames.

I own no S&W autos, however I do own an unfired 1970 Model 29 (8.75" bbl) in the original wooden box and a 80s Model 19 which is a fine shooter for a 2" 357mag. Older S&W revolvers are IMHO some of the finest made.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 625 revolver and it is great. It is truly the best. But S+W autos are lacking. I have owned a 908 in 9mm....it was junk. I have owned a Sigma 9F in 9mm...very ammunition sensitive and I just couldn't trust it as a carry gun. Several friends own 5906 auto's and are very happy with them. However, I have never felt comfortable shooting them or should I say I felt more comfortable with a Glock or Sig.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top