Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2004 10:38:29 AM EDT
So I was running some errands last night and parked at a mini mall, it was late afternoon and very few people were in this mini mall.  The parking lot was pretty empty.  I parked in the space right next to the handicapped spots.  IE close space.  So when I come out of the store, there is a car parked next to me and open spots all the way down the row.  I go to my car, open up the door, and I see a red honda stopped behind me.  I don't think anything of it.  I go to back out and the red honda is still there, she's stopped, so I back out, and she takes my spot.  If one doesn't understand this, I'll draw a diagram.

Parking Row
Handicapped Spot -----
Handicapped Spot-----
Me                        ------
Guy next to me --------
Open space----------
Open space---------
Open spaces all the way down

She waited for me to pull, out so she didn't have to walk and extra five feet.  Nothing major, but WTF, it is five feet.  I hate people.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
"Are people really this lazy"

Yes
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, yeah, we're Americans. We are the fattest nation in the world. Five feet? That's like a major hike for most people...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The Key word in your post is "She" ...Dont get me wrong im not bashing, If it was just me, I could give a dam where I park, But whenever "Ma Lady" is in the Car Ive got to drive around for 15min trying to get as close as possible, Pull into one spot........"Oh theres one closer get that one".....pull out and do it all agian....
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL. I personally just find a parking space and park. Simple, none of that driving around and wasting gas to find a 'close' space near the mall.

You wonder why America is getting so fat; we want to lose that 5 feet of walking every time we park. LOL
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I do just the opposite, I usually park further away to keep away from the crowds, even if there is a parking space close to the store, because it makes it easier to leave the parking lot when you leave, especially at a big shopping mall.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I found an answer....I drop my wife and son  off at the front door.  I then drive to the first empty spot I find. 5 feet or five hundred yards from the front door...it doesn't matter.

When we are done shopping, I go get the car and pick them up at the front door.

Let me add to this, my wife is pregnant, and my son is all of 22 months old.

I don't care if I have to walk extra distances. I don't think it's right to make them though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I like to part further out so I have to walk. I need the exercise, man I really NEED the exercise.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It's ironic but the average person will drive around a parking lot looking for a closer spot longer than it would have taken to walk from the spot that was a little farther out!! Stupid
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's ironic but the average person will drive around a parking lot looking for a closer spot longer than it would have taken to walk from the spot that was a little farther out!! Stupid

Yup, I love it when I can park and get to the store in time to see the same moron waiting for a closer spot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#13]
when you park near the front, you end up getting stuck in traffic just trying to leave the parking lot on busy days at large shopping centers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
One time the wife and I parked right next to one of those cart return thingies.  One of our biggest pet peeves is lazy fuckers who don't  put their carts up. They just leave them to roll into someone elses car.  So we finish shopping and come out just as the people parked right next to us finish unloading their cart...and instead of pushing it one space over they just leave it between our car and theirs. Ill illustrate using method used above.

Them
Us
Cart Return

So they load their lazy white trash asses up in their car and back out. In the meantime the wife gets their cart from one side of our car and is pushing it around the car to the return. They actually had the nerve to roll up next to her and say, Excuse me, I left my drink it the cart would you hand it to me? She just pushed the cart into the return and told them to get it theirselves. So of course then they because confrontational and call her a bitch etc. I was so pissed I wasnt my usual witty self and I just told them they shouldn't be so damn lazy. Sad...very sad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
A few weeks ago all of the spots near the door at the local Mickey D's were filled up so 3 very plump young ladies of ethnic origin parked in a Handicap spot & leisurely went in in got a huge order at the counter, came out & drove away.  I'm feeling all righteous thinking "Those ethnic bums," etc. etc.

Then as I'm leaving the Mickey D's a tall handsome young white man in a suit parks in the other Handicap spot, walks into the rest room straightens his tie, checks his hair, comes out & drives off.  Sure ruined a lot of righteous indignation on my part.  Damn!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude, if we they let you drive your car through the mall ti would be one gigantic drive through... no parking necessary!!!

Why do you think internet shopping does so well?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
My ex wife used to get in the car and drive seven houses down to the store at the end of the block for cigarettes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL, you just listed one of the reasons men hate to shop.

I found the cure, I just never park in what I call the "Lewie spot",  actually learned that expression from someone from MA,  I always park down the row by myself and walk the extra yards.  

Besides not minding the walk, 9 times out of 10 I avoid the frustration you just mentioned.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I find it humerous, especially when they are going to walk all over the mall.

It is most ironic at gyms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of area was it?  If it was a bad neighborhood, or pretty deserted, she could have just been a little concerned about safety.  When I am in a neighborhood I don't know and don't have a good feeling about, and I need to go to a place, ie, mini-mall that is poorly lighted and basically deserted, I will park as close as possible to the place where I am going, simply because it feels safer.  

I know someone who was grabbed at knifepoint at night from a 7-11, it was late at night and she was parked out of view of the shop, so no one saw her attacker grab her and drag her into the alley.  He robbed her and beat her up, luckily he didn't stab or rape her.  Ever since then, she will wait 5 minutes if necessary to park as close as possible to wherever she is going.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I also seek the end of row curb.  Even after cutting your chance of getting a ding by half, you can create an extra buffer by hugging the curb.   Just as important is getting on the downhill side of the curb island.  On a clear day in January of this year, I saw the wind dislodge a cart from the cart stash, and start heading downhill.  The wind was blowing the same direction as the slope, so it accellerated to a fairly high pace.  It ended up wacking a parked explorer right in the passenger side rear door.  The total travel was about 70 yards.  That dude probably thought someone vandalized his truck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I didnt read this post, but YES ppl are extremly lazy no matter what they are doin.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A few weeks ago all of the spots near the door at the local Mickey D's were filled up so 3 very plump young ladies of ethnic origin parked in a Handicap spot & leisurely went in in got a huge order at the counter, came out & drove away.  I'm feeling all righteous thinking "Those ethnic bums," etc. etc.

Then as I'm leaving the Mickey D's a tall handsome young white man in a suit parks in the other Handicap spot, walks into the rest room straightens his tie, checks his hair, comes out & drives off.  Sure ruined a lot of righteous indignation on my part.  Damn!

Sloth and laziness are equal opportunity employers....
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My ex wife used to get in the car and drive seven houses down to the store at the end of the block for cigarettes.

She probably didn't have enough wind left to walk there. Lucky Strikes, anyone? How about some Kools? [cough cough]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#27]
With some places being so crowded it takes 3 times as long to pull and get out because all the lazy people part in the front waiting for spaces to open which is why I part at the end.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not that lazy.  Actually I almost always park as far out as I can so the car won't get dinged up and I get some exercise.  Even when I park way out, there is often an idiot who will park right next to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Are people really this lazy"

Yes

I'll have to agree, I notice it all the time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]

This is nothing new. Late '70s, I remember a guy on the radio ranting about
how people will drive around to get 10 feet closer to the door of
a mall, and then they'll walk for 3 or 4 hours shopping. They'll walk
a couple of miles while shopping, but that extra 10 feet in the parking
lot will kill them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Greenbergs Second Law:

"No matter where you park your car in a public parking lot some shitstain will park next to it and put a dent in your door."  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What kind of area was it?  If it was a bad neighborhood, or pretty deserted, she could have just been a little concerned about safety.  When I am in a neighborhood I don't know and don't have a good feeling about, and I need to go to a place, ie, mini-mall that is poorly lighted and basically deserted, I will park as close as possible to the place where I am going, simply because it feels safer.  

It is a pretty nice upper middle class business district of oakland country.  Not really a big need to worry about saftey.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I found an answer....I drop my wife and son  off at the front door.  I then drive to the first empty spot I find. 5 feet or five hundred yards from the front door...it doesn't matter.

When we are done shopping, I go get the car and pick them up at the front door.

Let me add to this, my wife is pregnant, and my son is all of 22 months old.

I don't care if I have to walk extra distances. I don't think it's right to make them though.

I don't have a child, but I do this wiht my mother and my wife.  It's just polite.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

uh, guilty.   then i feel like a dumbass when I realize how damn stupid I am being....

now I park way out there cause it's easier
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I think many people do it out of one-upmanship. They think they are getting lucky, getting ahead of their fellow humans, by getting a "good" parking space....
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My g/f would do the "find the closest spot and/or wait for one" routine when she had a mini-van. Now that I bought her an X-5, she parks it waaayyyy out in the boonies. Guess the fear factor finally came into play.

CW
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I didnt read this post, but YES ppl are extremly lazy no matter what they are doin.

Yeah, a bunch of people are too lazy to even CLICK through the thread and just blurt out a reply.

It is sickening.  Just sickening.

I drive to a store at off hours, and take the first spot near a light.  Then walk in/out.  Then again, my state has shall issue CCW, and many people use that, so we have less than one murder per year. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I always park way out.  I dont like trying to get into a space and I dont want someone hitting the door my my fresh painted car with the one of their rusted 79 big-ol-bastard the name has fallen off of.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]
There are only 100 people in your state Brass, so that isn't saying much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I have this habit of parking in the middle of an open space, meaning I have at least one empty parking space in between me and the next car. sometimes if the lot's not too crowded, I'll go ahead and park on the line. I get comments when I do that and my question is always to ask "So, are YOU going to pay for any dings in my door? I didn't think so....."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top