Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:36 AM EDT
So I go to the “New Membership” meeting and get bored to tears for over an hour.  The treasurer is MORE THAN HAPPY to take my $180 bucks for a new membership.  I don’t have much choice if I want to shoot any of my guns living in this apartment.  If I had my own land it would be great.  So this club is the closest thing with all the available features I’m looking for.

Anyway, I’ve been there 4 times and nobody is there.  They don’t have any hours of operation.  Are most gun clubs this “go as you please” type?  They took my money but they sure didn’t give me any key.  Paid for the 24/7 key but I have to pass their “class” before I get the key.  Not 100% sure but the next class is in April!?!?!?!?!?  WTF!?

Can I just shoot my gun during normal business hours?  Oh wait, WHAT ARE THE NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS?  Does anyone work there or is anyone there to shoot!?  I’m going to drive down there at 11:00am on a Monday morning.  If that place is BARREN and locks on all the doors that’s fu*** bullshit!  I’ve already checked their online calendar and the day is 100% OPEN with no “events” blocking members that want to shoot.  It doesn’t say “closed” so I assume it’s OPEN TO SHOOT.

If I get there and nobody is there, what would YOU do?  I remember the Brea Indoor Range was amazing.  I think they were open to the public 7 days a week from 8:00am to 10:00pm!!!!!  Now that’s business.  People were ALWAYS in there.  It was excellent.  Only gripe were the guns to rent.  Talk about utter jamming shit.  Sad, sad, sad.

Thanks for the rant.
-Moco
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
sit in a long boring meeting to get a membership?  BTDT

have to take a class before you can use a range?  BTDT

get to the range and nobody is there?   LOVE IT!    Love having the place to myself
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You did check this club out first prior to giving them money right?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably should have asked more questions before handing over the money or toured several different ranges before making a decision one way or the other.  I don't belong to a private range I am lucky enough to have a public range 12 miles away and numerous other places owned by friends where I can blast away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#4]
BTDT?  That one isn't on the master list.

I trusted a fellow "arfcomer" who is a memeber.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyway, I’ve been there 4 times and nobody is there.  They don’t have any hours of operation.  Are most gun clubs this “go as you please” type?  They took my money but they sure didn’t give me any key.  Paid for the 24/7 key but I have to pass their “class” before I get the key.  Not 100% sure but the next class is in April!?!?!?!?!?  WTF!?

I hope that if you gave them a bunch of money that you also have a phone number for someone in the club, who would be far better equipped to address your concerns than the ARFCOM general board.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The "Sportsman's Club" I used to belong to in WI when I was younger, was gated, but open to members ($25/year) from sun up to sun down, 7 days a week.

Last I heard, it was weekends only, except for trap leagues... and all ranges were now "cold" with mandatory range nazi's...

God Bless Texas!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

BTDT?  That one isn't on the master list.

BTDT - been there, done that

8am to dusk for my range
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
at my gun club there is no "business hours." it's an outdoor range that you just go to and shoot whenever you want (well, sunup to sundown that is). i love it when i go there and i'm the only one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
None of the gun clubs in my area have "operating hours".They have scheduled shoots, and the rest of the time you show up and shoot whatever you want.And its maybe $25 a year,which is what I paid for the back-up range in case my own was unavailable. I wouldn't pay more than that. I feel sorry for you guys that have to pay hundreds of dollars.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Where is the club? What city?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Stories like this make me want to buy some land up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and blast away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes yes I've called people.  It's a real club with real members they just aren't organized for shit.  I went at 5:00pm one time and 4:00pm another time.  Last time which was 4:00pm some ladies were shooting but they wouldn't open the door for me with the 24/7 Magic Card.

damn bitches.  I guess I'd dothe same if the FNG Member wanted access but hadn't passed the class yet.  YARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the check hasn't cleared yet, so I can always stop payment!  mwah ha ha ha ha.
I just wanted to hear from other members what their "BTDT" Gun Club stories are.

Sadly, there is NO other ticket in town.  The next best thing is 45 fu$@ miles away or BASS PRO SHOPS indoor range.  I'm sure Bass Pro is AR-15 indoor friendly (that was a joke)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My club is just gated, and you can shoot from 9am to dusk everyday.

I HATE clubs that have rules about how many rounds you can put in a magazine, or how many shots per minute you can fire.   I am not a yahoo by any means, but I've already had an old fart tell me I couldn't have more than 5 rounds in my rifle mag.  At that point, I produced a printout of the club rules, which I keep in my gunbox incase of a dispute, and asked him to find that rule.  That shut his damn pie hole.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
My gun club does have a long membership meeting that you are required to attend before becoming a member.  However this really serves a couple of purposes: 1. All of the safety classes and such are taught there and then 2: We have grown so much that we can't have more than one membership drive per year, first come, first serve.  If you don't make it to the meeting, you can't give them your money, therefor you can't join.

After that point however, we get our membership card, and our proximity card (key card).  We are then free to use the range whenever it is open (which is most of the time).  The range is only closed for special events like high-power shoots, and the sporting clays events.  The CMP high-power shoots are my club's bread and butter.  I got lucky, my club is very AR and EBR friendly.  

I have yet to run into any range/gun snobs who are convinced that their 90yr old, pitted barrel, shot once a year during deer season, never cleaned, rusty lever action .30-30 is more accurate than my AR, and can shoot the wings off of a gnat at 1000m.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes yes I've called people.  It's a real club with real members they just aren't organized for shit.  I went at 5:00pm one time and 4:00pm another time.  Last time which was 4:00pm some ladies were shooting but they wouldn't open the door for me with the 24/7 Magic Card.

damn bitches.  I guess I'd dothe same if the FNG Member wanted access but hadn't passed the class yet.  YARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to hear from other members what their "BTDT" Gun Club stories are.

Sadly, there is NO other ticket in town.  The next best thing is 45 fu$@ miles away or BASS PRO SHOPS indoor range.  I'm sure Bass Pro is AR-15 indoor friendly (that was a joke)

I think that once you get your foot in the door,the best thing you can do is get a bunch of friends to join,then when you have enough people on your side,push for the changes you see as needed. Is your area so built up that you couldn't get a new club started by buying some land?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't pay shit until I was able to shoot. why pay for something you can't use?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
A lot of "gun clubs" are like that.

I belong to one, Lafayette, that has a bunch of silly rules and an old-fashioned board that runs things. They hate black rifles and just about all semi-autos but love air rifles

However the 24/7 range is what I pay for so I can stomach the other bullshit. However, if you want to do holster work you must be signed off...yet they don't have a program to qualify people

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
My club is like that,no shooting on the ranges by yourself unless you have a safety range officers club,no more that 1 rnd in a mag on the rifle range,however you can blast away on the pistol range.In our case,the safety class is a insurance requirement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope - my club is not like that - open the gate and shoot

observe the range rules e.g. right caliber at specific ranges and you are GTG

and class III friendly - no BS about how many round magazines you can use.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Our club is similar, but you get the class when you sign up and you get your key then also.

Every club has range Natzi's and rednecks, without them ARFcom would be boring.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#21]
At my club, it's class first, then send in payment, show up for the membership meeting and you get the ID card and lock combo. After that, normal shooting hours are 30 min. before sunrise to 30 min after sunset.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sit in a long boring meeting to get a membership?  BTDT

have to take a class before you can use a range?  BTDT

get to the range and nobody is there?   LOVE IT!    Love having the place to myself

+1

Turn off all lights and run my M16 in the dark?   You bet!!!!!!!!!!!!  My range here is great, NFA friendly... Great people.... But... 24/7 access would be great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I am lucky my club is 24/7. Fullauto friendly.We have usppa matches and combat matches using steel ,paper, and or bowling pins.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where is the club? What city?

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Moco where are you located in MI?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sadly, there is NO other ticket in town.  The next best thing is 45 fu$@ miles away or BASS PRO SHOPS indoor range. I'm sure Bass Pro is AR-15 indoor friendly (that was a joke)

They might be- the Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX has a rifle tube.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#28]
My Club. Kitsap Rifle and Revolver is $60 a year plus $30 for the one time range safety orientation class. Which is held at least once a month. Shooting hours are 7am-10pm. Both the pistol and rifle lines are lighted. There is a range master on duty During Public hours Tues-Sat. They hold USPSA and IPSC matches and Funsteel shoots. No mag limit. no restrictions on rapid fire. Great range with a great members and good staff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#29]
AHH HA!!!  Made a call to the President.  Got a lot of information cleared up.  Got the combo, gonna go shoot right now.

Can't shoot indoors until I pass the class but I can go blast away outside right now.  Yay me.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Clubs start after a few guys get together and say "Let's start a club".

The rules ALWAYS reflect the shooting bias of the founders or the current board of directors.

My club started out as a BP club 40+ years and this is still reflected in the way the benches etc are set up.  They still have BP matches there.  But they tolerated EBR and Class III.  Shotguns are not very welcome.

Obviously, the club you joined doesn't give a rats @ss about noobs joining.  So either suck it up and pay your dues (both $ and time) or find another place to shoot.  

Or take up golf.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Moco where are you located in MI?

I don't want to badmouth this mystery club more than I have so I'm staying quiet.  I'm in SE Mich. (810)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#32]
That's NOTHING compared to some gun clubs here in the UK.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#33]
you should have asked more questions...  i wouldn't drop $180 unless i knew exactly what to expect.  i'd ask for my money back.  if not, at least 4 months worth since you won't be able to shoot...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I joined a local club last year.  
Paid my dues, I was 16 at the time so I could pay for the adult membership.  I was voted in, and got my Keys that night!

We have meetings the first tuesday of every month, and the last tuesday.   Range is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.  

Shooting when no one else is at the range is the best time.   No bullshit, no "hunters" looking at your AR15 like its an evil death machine, and no idiots trying to tell you they "used one in Nam when they were Special Forces" and that they can put a bullet in the same hole at 300 yards...

::edit::
Well, thats good!  I still cant beleieve they didnt give you the combo the night you were voted in as a PAYING MEMBER.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like a private, members only club to me, don't know what you are complaining about. Why would anyone open it up for you? Then they would be responsible for your conduct even after they left the range.

If you can't wait for the membership use class, try to have one scheduled private or ask if you get X number of people will they run one sooner.

Being a member of a private club is the only way to go.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Turn off all lights and run my M16 in the dark?   You bet!!!!!!!!!!!!  My range here is great, NFA friendly... Great people.... But... 24/7 access would be great.

Ummm...how do you shoot an M16 in the dark?  Don't you need to see your targets and use your sights?
Wouldn't you need LIGHT for that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#37]
My club is similiar and GREAT.
Pay my $150, get a key, shoot whenever I like.  
1/2 the time I'm the only one there.

Damn I love it!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm...how do you shoot an M16 in the dark?  Don't you need to see your targets and use your sights?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds easier than what I had to go through to get into my gun club.
-I had to be sponsored
-Pay $305 for the first year ($105/yr there after)
-Be an NRA member in good standing (They check)
-Get up in front of the whole club and introduce myself
-Submit to a criminal background check
-Wait until the next general meeting to be voted in or out by the membership
-Take a safety course to obtain my range badge
-Have to volunteer at least 5 hours of time a year or there is a $200 fine assessed at renewal

It was a lot of BS to go through but it was worth it to me as it is only 2 miles from my house and is open 7 days a week.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/114-1416_IMG.jpg

Night vision scopes. Ohhh I see now(light bulb goes off)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Sounds easier than what I had to go through to get into my gun club.
-I had to be sponsored
-Pay $305 for the first year ($105/yr there after)
-Be an NRA member in good standing (They check)
-Get up in front of the whole club and introduce myself
-Submit to a criminal background check
-Wait until the next general meeting to be voted in or out by the membership
-Take a safety course to obtain my range badge
-Have to volunteer at least 5 hours of time a year or there is a $200 fine assessed at renewal

It was a lot of BS to go through but it was worth it to me as it is only 2 miles from my house and is open 7 days a week.

LORD GOD ALL MIGHTY.  I think I'll be ok now that I think about it.  Already got the combination for the gate so I can't complain.  Only complaint now is the shitty Michigan weather.  

Sun?  Where are you blessed sun?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#42]
My club:

- Must attend one meeting.
- $15 per year dues
- Outdoor Range open 10AM to dusk, 7 days.  Must sign in before shooting.
- Draw from holster OK.  No mag or gun restrictions except no Class III.
- Action shoots, smallbore, balloon, board, and trap shoots scheduled monthly.
- Fully stocked bar/grill in clubhouse open Thurs thru Sunday.  

Three miles from my house and I love it.  Most members are there only for the bar and pool tables.  Rarely do I have to share the range facilities with anyone.  I consider myself very lucky....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Sun....  try florida

Moco,
    I'm .mil down here in FL... I'm extended a courtesy membership a OCSC (oakland county sportsmen's club)....  they are in waterford/clarskston area (248 area code) though.   I couldn't say much about that place lately but a couple years ago when I went home I checked out the key from the front office, and had about 5 friends come over and we shot all afternoon...  

would recommend... but it looks like you got it all straightened out...  but I'm still curious what club youare reffering to (I used to shoot competively up there before I left for the navy) as I've shot a most of them....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/114-1416_IMG.jpg

No state law about discharging a  firearms during certain hours?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I belonged to a gun club that was only $15 a year. It was a 500 yard outdoor range. I never went to any meetings to get the key, but the only thing that was locked was the driveway gate. If it was locked when I went there I'd just park my car in the driveway in front of it and leave my membership pass on my dashboard.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#47]
What are these ranges and clubs you speak of??? I love living in the wide open spaces.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#48]
My range is kind of like that.  I think it's awesome.

Two thing I do not care for:

1.  Cannot fire .50bmg.  It specifically says this.
2.  Cannot fire > 44 magnum in pistols.  As I shoot a 50ae desert eagle, this kind of pisses me off.  They say it has to do with the backstops.  

Other than those two things (and #1 doesn't affect me because I don't own a 50 rifle), it's awesome.  Half the time I go and I'm the only one there.  Mall ninja practice time!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
My range costs $100.00 per year.  It is just over 700 acres.  Indoor range, plinking range, BR Range, HP Range from 100-1000 yards, archery range, skeet, trap, sporting clays, and 7 action pistol ranges.  It also has a nice pond to fish.  An orientation is mandatory before you get your key.  Hours are sun up to sun down for the outdoor ranges.  You can gain additional access by helping out.  It is a great deal.

Blake
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My club is pretty good compaired to a lot of other clubs in the area. No full auto but they do have a 100 yard and 200 yard range and also an unlimited range that is 1000 plus yards but you have to set your own targets on the unlimited. Also have a handgun range and two trap houses.  A lot of duck and deer crowd, but there are some black rifle shooters and they have held military rifle shoots. The club owns several hundred acres that was willed to them by a former club member. Dues are a one time 200 initiation fee and then 40 annually.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top