Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 10:14:30 PM EDT
The Longest Day has the most notable in chaplain lunacy that I can remember, but in other movies they are always out there under fire to do last rights etc.  Were/are they really that way?  

ETA: I did not mean crazy in a bad way, but it takes a certain amount of hutzpah to do what they are portrayed doing that I both admire and find astonishing, like in a near biblical sense of astonishment.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The Longest Day has the most notable in chaplain lunacy that I can remember, but in other movies they are always out there under fire to do last rights etc.  Were/are they really that way?  

My grandfather was a Methodist chaplin and was nuts. I only know one other and he is just "different".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about the combat side, but I know that our Chaplains always put the troops first, so it would make sense that they would be there during a troop's most critical time of need, at the end.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Two EOD techs who were in my unit and were in Somalia together had a crazy ass chaplain hang out with them.   Before the guy became a chaplain, he served with the Marine Corps during Hue.   From what my friends told me, this guy enjoyed shooting heathens (skinny's) and even got the honors to remotely detonate a shot containing weapons and ammo, the skinny's were on the pile  trying to steal the shit.

His favorite line to his superiors, "I am going to see the EOD guys, they need religion".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, pretty much.

I went to PLDC with my chaplin when he was a 12B, I still have a picture of his bald head with a green and black bullseye in camo paint on it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
We took one with us to a REAL third world shithole before the present war started.  We figured our TCN security would bail at the first sign of trouble and leave us south of the equador and walking to Panama.  He declined a weapon, he declined a thought of a weapon and he was perfectly happy being outside the chain of cammand.  He was pretty entertaining.  

We have taken one from my present unit on three short term deployments.  He is a little different, we ended up in an arab town on the West Bank and all was going fine, until he told a local what we did for a living.  The construction company story was going really well until then.  Oddly, we had ran into a preacher with a tour group a few hours before.  He noticed our construction company was physically fit and had similar haircuts.  He then walked over to say Hi, whipped out an O-6(retired) ID card.

My Dad has been friends with the chaplain that jumped into Normandy with them to this very day.  My old man was the only athiest in a foxhole there and this guy is still hopeful he can change him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Two EOD techs who were in my unit and were in Somalia together had a crazy ass chaplain hang out with them.   Before the guy became a chaplain, he served with the Marine Corps during Hue.   From what my friends told me, this guy enjoyed shooting heathens (skinny's) and even got the honors to remotely detonate a shot containing weapons and ammo, the skinny's were on the pile  trying to steal the shit.His

this chaplain name was it ? roachford with the 26 meu?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the chaplain, my last one at Ft Hood made a joke about a guy commiting suicide that I thought was hilarious, as did the other 500 people in the battalion he was talking to at the theater.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I was an 11B before most of you were born, and I knew a Catholic  Padre, airborne of course, who had no problem wacking and stacking some "Godless commies".

He was loved by the line doggies, because thats where he always was.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I had 3 rotate through on my ship and while I wouldn't say strange, eccentric would definitely fit two of them and the third was less than sympathetic with screwups.  One had flown Helos with the Marines in Korea and when in VN he carried the rifles and let the guard drive his jeep.  Used to get in to contests with the bible beaters, they came up with a verse and he would come up with a verse saying just about the opposite.  One had been a B-52 pilot in VN, he used to do an imitation of my BMC at Captains Mast.  "No, Captain he's just a fuckin dickhead."  My BMC and I and the Chaplain used to spend a lot of time Friday mornings at Mast.  "Chief, what kind of sailor is Seamen Smith?"  "Captain, he's a good sailor/dickhead/fucking dickhead."  that's it those 3 options only.

The last was a sansei out of Oahu who before joining the Marines used to tell tourists that breadfruit were tree pineapples.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The one I knew in the Corps was FUCKN NUTS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I never really got to know many chaplain sin the military save one.  He was gung-ho, hard driving troop, and someone you would want you in action any day!  He was a division level chaplain but managed to find his way out to the troops in the field, combart arm fellows being his favorite of course.  He accompanied our recon missions several times and would just fall in to a patrol and tak up a position despite his rank.  He was always recognizable in the field by the trademark tomahawk he carried!  (We had a lot of Indian war battle honors).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
On the battle field there was a chaplin and a soldier. The bullets started to fly. The soldier  jumped in a fox hole and told the chaplin he better get behind cover. The chaplin stated I put my trust in God. The soldier stated I trust in God too but, I want to show him I am cooperating.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
so they are nuts.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish our chaplain was nuts! He's boring, monotone and his jokes suck. BUT, he seems like a nice guy and for a Major, he doesn't care  to be called Sir or saluted, he spends alot of his time trying to get close to us, but, he's kind of the square peg, so he hasn't found "his spot" yet. On the up side, he takes being a chaplain pretty seriously, we can't go anywhere without him praying over us, so, maybe he's a good luck charm to boot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#15]
my last chaplain was an 11B during Desert Storm.  crazy like a fox, but a great guy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on how you define nuts.
Visit our web site
www.usscapodanno.org
Father Vincent capodanno gave his life ministering to his guys in vietnam Won the Congressional medal of honor and had a ship named after him
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a crazy one when I was in RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) before I was assigned to 3rd Ranger Battallion back in '90. It was a Sunday and all of the rippies were ordered to fall out for church in the sand pit area. So this Chaplin shows up, who looks even tougher than the cadre!

I was told he had jumped into Grenada and more recently (at that time) Panama. So this guy starts in about God and forgiveness and all the good catholic stuff I was raised on when these 2 rippies start grab assing it the back row. Needless to say, physical punishment was always a factor in RIP so this priest pulls the two out and has them start doing ranger pushups and low crawls back and forth while he keeps praising God! It was trippy shit!

When I go up to get communion these two are right behind the good Father rolling on the ground 100 feet to the left, then 100 feet back to the right, over and over and over.....

I thanked the good Lord that day....that I knew how to behave in church!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was in Kuwait, our chaplain was an ex-ranger.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
im not sure, in my 9 years of service i have never had a non asian chaplian, and i can nevr understand what they are saying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Just how does one become a chaplain?

Its always interested me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted: I thanked the good Lord that day....that I knew how to behave in church!
If that chaplain retires, he should apply to be schoolmaster at Catholic school. That's the kind of man who will make you learn your ABC's and 123's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I've met a few and they all seemed fine to me.  Then again, I'm in the PC version of the .mil.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
My Chaplin in the sandbox was a pussy. He never said or did anything that helped anyone, and he whined more than anyone I ever heard.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

ETA: I did not mean crazy in a bad way, but it takes a certain amount of hutzpah to do what they are portrayed doing that I both admire and find astonishing, like in a near biblical sense of astonishment.

Chaplains have camoflage communion sets. They have them for a reason.

Most of them take their obligation to the spiritual well being of their troops dead seriously.

I know chaplains who conducted services in the thick of every conflict from WWII on. They were always right where their men were, and they loved their men dearly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm reminded of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the chaplain is giving last rites to a soldier on the beach and completely ignoring the bullets and explosions all around him as he sits there in the open. I've been told by several people that nearly every military chaplain they ever met would done exactly that, going out to tend to their men with no regard for their personal danger.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm reminded of the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the chaplain is giving last rites to a soldier on the beach and completely ignoring the bullets and explosions all around him as he sits there in the open. I've been told by several people that nearly every military chaplain they ever met would done exactly that, going out to tend to their men with no regard for their personal danger.

The power of faith.

More than once a chaplain has been interrupted by enemy fire while attempting to minister, has pulled out his sidearm, returned fire, and then gone back to ministry when the threat was over.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#29]
The Chaplains I saw during my 10 years in uniform were universally some of the kindest people I've ever met, and they all took their jobs VERY seriously.

Yes, the guys giving last rights while bullets crack past their heads are crazy, but so are the medics who are working on the poor guy. The best way to describe all three is as PROFESSIONALS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just how does one become a chaplain?

Its always interested me.

CHAPLAIN REQUIREMENTS

1. You must obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement from your faith group. This endorsement should certify that you are:
        1. A clergy person in your denomination or faith group.
        2. Qualified spiritually, morally, intellectually and emotionally to serve as a Chaplain in the Army.
        3. Sensitive to religious pluralism and able to provide for the free exercise of religion by all military personnel, their family members and civilians who work for the Army.
  2. Educationally, you must:
        1. Possess a baccalaureate degree of not less than 120 semester hours.
        2. Possess a master's degree in divinity or a graduate degree in theological studies, which includes at least 72 hours.
  3. Applicants for active duty MUST be U.S. citizens. Permanent residents can ONLY apply for the Army Reserve.
  4. Be able to receive a favorable background check.
  5. Pass a physical exam.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Almost two years ago, I was outside when a rocket attack occurred.  I will remember the incident not so much for the actual danger, but for when I sprinted over to the HQ building afterwards.  Inside, our heavily-accented Vietnamese chaplain was walking the halls and muttering "We will find whoever did this..."

Surreal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#32]
"Nuts" might be a little too strong of a term, but most of the good ones are definitely a little loose in the hinges.....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Our chaplain had to suffer under presenting a mixed message due to our 2 AD unit patch (Hell on Wheels)-always a constant source of amusement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Had a pacifist chaplain in the USAF, who apparently joined with the main goal of converting people to non-violence.

He was a LTC, and showed up at my guardmount one night.

He stands in front of 60 heavily armed security troops, with M-60 machineguns stacked next to him,
and starts preaching "love thy fellow man", and lots of other non-violent crap.

My troops are looking at me with puzzled expressions, my flight chief is shrugging his shoulders, and I'm standing behind the chaplain, sending dirty looks his way.

He finishes, says a prayer, and steps outside the room.   I turn to my troops and tell them "despite what you have just heard, your mission remains unchanged, protect the bombers and nukes on this base, killing everyone who attempts  them harm."

Guardmount is dismissed and I step out, only to meet the chaplain, who heard my remarks and thinks he is going to change my tune.

I was a 1LT then, and had fought/arrested numerous officers, so I didn't back down, and even added a few expletives to the discussion.

He was  LTC, but as a chaplain I knew he didn't have any political power on this base.   I politely told him his message was better suited to a bunch of girl scouts and that I would never allow him at my guardmounts again.   He tries to pull rank and I suggest he take it up with the Wing Commander, which he did.

The WingCC apparently told him to get bent, because I only heard about the chaplain's complaint months later in the O-Club.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted: Had a pacifist chaplain in the USAF, who apparently joined with the main goal of converting people to non-violence. ...
Oh man, that was funny! Back in the good 'ole days, missionaries went to the front with a bible in one hand a sword in the other.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#37]
it might have been short, but this is one of my fave threads.

Thanks for the stories guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#38]
The Four Chaplains One of the greatest chaplain stories I know.

"G.I. Jesus" always took good care of us, and we of him.

He was, at times, a little crazy, but that added to the likeability of the guy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I wish our chaplain was nuts! He's boring, monotone and his jokes suck. BUT, he seems like a nice guy and for a Major, he doesn't care  to be called Sir or saluted, he spends alot of his time trying to get close to us, but, he's kind of the square peg, so he hasn't found "his spot" yet. On the up side, he takes being a chaplain pretty seriously, we can't go anywhere without him praying over us, so, maybe he's a good luck charm to boot.

Well, at least his heart seems to be in the right place.  Could have been a lot worse.

I'd bet that if the S ever HTF, he'd stay with you to the end.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
In ww2 the chaplain for the 82nd 3-504 would jump with them.  He was loved and admired by the guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
In ww2 the chaplain for the 82nd 3-504 would jump with them.  He was loved and admired by the guys.

I guess that's another vote for Nuts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top